Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How to curb puppy nipping

7K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  HausMommy 
#1 ·
Many of us have dealt with it at one time or another, puppy nipping. While a mouthy pup may seem cute at first, those teeth quickly become sharp, and your favorite pair of shoes becomes a really expensive chew toy.

How do you curb puppy nipping?

#3 ·
We did the redirection method. We would use a rope, ball, bone, etc. If he continued to nip at us, playtime was over. He caught on quickly.

#7 ·
Luna tore up my hands, arms and legs with her biting when I got her at 7 1/2 weeks. It took about 4 weeks for her to stop. I did a combination of things:

1) I never got her excited by talking/playing unless I had a toy she could chew on.

2) I tethered her to me when I was at home. ALWAYS. That way she never had the opportunity to chew on something she shouldn't, or if she did I was close enough to just give her a toy in exchange and reward her for chewing on the right thing.

2) Redirect, redirect, redirect. I always have a toy handy around the house, or in my pocket.

3) If she did manage to bite me, I would sream "Owww" like a puppy would. That startled her and she would lick me instead.

4) A few times she got so excited playing that she would not listen. That got her a 10 minute time out in the bathroom, with the lights off. She only did it 3 or 4 times and never again.

Now, at 4 1/2 months, I'm able to roll around with her in the floor and she won't bite me at all, and if I feel her teeth around my skin I "ouch" and she immediately wags her tail and licks me. So cute :)

Sometimes it feels as if it would never stop, but patience and consistency do the trick. They get it, eventually :)

#8 ·
Yipping like a puppy any time her teeth hit my skin has worked really well for us. Bina stops immediately upon hearing the yip, then will lick right afterward. She's very careful with her mouth. I have to admit though, we didn't take her from the breeder until 10 weeks, so she had some extra time with her remaining littermate. She was never much of a biter/nipper in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.