Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my dogs nails are black,so how far do i go to cut and not cutting the quick (sorry i dont know how to spell it :lol: )

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
The vet would be the best choice, it be safer in my opinion. But when your cutting his/her nails just cut the tip to trim it down some. Theres something out there you can put on their nails in case you cut to far, dont know what the name of it is.

·
Super Moderator
15,976 Posts
Believe it or not, this is the scariest part for me in owning a dog.
I HATE to cut their nails. They don't like it and neither do I. :cry: That being said,
the best thing is not to let them grow out. Keep a regular trim on the tip
and it will be easier not to cut into the quick. If you do, you can put some
flour or cornstarch on the nail directlly. This will stop the bleeding but you
have to hold the dog in place to give it a chance to do so. If the nails are
long, take them to the vets for them to do the first cutting back and then
you keep it up after that.
:wink:

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
triming

If he will let you , You can also file them instead if you feel safter doing that. I Cut mine when they are sleeping just the curled part of the tip is what my vet told me. But being as i am I always look under the back side first where you can see the quick and where it ends. also if you do happen to cut too far , have a septic powder or pencil works best to stop the bleeding. If not some people use flour. and No they will not bleed to death. Mine have had whole nails break right off leaving just the quick hanging there.

·
Registered
703 Posts
The easiest way is first look on the underside of the paw (nail) you will be able to see the quick easier. I have also used a flashlight to shine through the nail if you are having problems seeing the quick. Just a little hint...When you first begin to trim the nail just take small nips of the nail until you become comfortable trimming them.
If by chance you do clip the nail too short dip the nail into flour, baking soda or even salt this will clot the bleeding. Appling pressure sometimes just makes it bleed more.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts