Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just currious... Is it in thier genes? I know Tanks Mom and Dad have great hips. If a pup has "bad" hips will he be in pain? The reason I ask is I just noticed when Tank runs I can hear a ticking noise. Its not loud at all almost sounds like when you roll your ankle and it cracks. It only does it when he runs though not while walking. Is there anything visable to look for? He is not in any pain at all though, never limps or favors one leg. I sat on the ground with him and moved his legs around to see If I could hear the click or to see if anything hurt and nothing?? It sounds like it comming from his feet rather than his hips. Maybe Im just paroniod. I called my Vet and he is in a VEt convention untill Monday (my luck)...

Jeremy

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
I'm going to bump up an old post that may help. It's titled Hip Dysplasia. :)

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've done ALOT of reading on this subject... Not knowing scares me to death... The ONLY sign is the clicking sound, but I dont know what else it could be :( Does anyone in here have a Bulldog with Hip dysplasia? I just dont know what to do at this point. He is only 4 months old.. I dont have the cash for sugery :(

Jeremy

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Has anybody on this site had any experience with a pup with clicking hips (I think it is just his left) Almost sounds like is is his ankle though?? Like I said before My vet wont be in town untill monday.

I just have a few questions..

How much is the Hip X-ray?

What can they do if the hips are bad?

How old does a pup have to be before being X-rayed?

Any help would be appreciated.

Jeremy

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
yes, it is in his genes.
hip dysplasia is of a polygenic inheritance, which is to say... there is more than one gene involved. which is why it is so difficult to get rid of/ breed against. there are indicators that a dog "may" be displastic, but just because your dog does one, or all of these things, doesn't mean he is. only an xray will prove one way or the other.
signs to look for are...
difficulty getting up
hopping on the rear legs when running (bunny hop)
rolling back (sitting on the bum not the rear haunches) when sitting down
stiffness in younger animals

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I got worried for nothing.. His leg stopped "clicking" yesterday?!?!? :D I guess it was nothing.

Jeremy

·
Registered
4 Posts
I take it your talking about a british bulldog ? if the clicking was coming from his feet I doubt it would be h.d. some b.b.'s drag their back feet and make a 'scraping noise' with there nails as this is part of there natural roll gait.

as for h.d. only a certain percentage is genetic. it has been proved a high pecentage is due to feeding and excersise.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My dog runs like the wind and leaps like a deer. However, she sits on her bum and puts her legs out all over the place. I understand one symptom does not mean she has hip dysplasia, but I worry about stuff like that concerning my dog. You think it might be behavioral?

·
Registered
4 Posts
if you are talking about a British Bulldog, they do sit all funny ways. Its part of there charm l.o.l.
it is because of the way there bodies are shaped and developed. it was bred this way for a purpose- pinning bulls, and being thrown around whilst grabbing the noses, ears, throats etc.
mine sit all ways- normally, off to the side etc.
if your dog is running and jumping, playing etc, I wouldn't be too concerned.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts