Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

We have young Kona (11weeks) and she just won't stay or sleep in the kennel.

We have a big fenced in yard in which the dogs have free roam of. Diesel sleeps in his kennel all the time. Both of them get on like a house on fire and are impossible to seperate, but when it comes to bed time - she'd rather sleep on the back step than in the kennel.

Now that she is getting bigger, we are looking at getting kona her own kennel, however I'd like to think that she's going to use it.

Are there any techniques to encourage her to sleep in a kennel?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lisa said:
Does your kennel have a door?
No, no door - I imagine if I restrict them to the kennel they will be fairly unhappy, as it's only a kennel for them to sleep in.

I thought about a fence or cage setup around the kennel, although I have her in a good practice of eliminating on the grass - which has been hard to get into her, as her breeders had her peeing and pooping on hard surfaces. I don't want to undo this, as I have the kennel and will also have her new kennel on a hard surface under partial cover.

·
Registered
932 Posts
yes... i was witness to this on saturday...
it was SO cute seeing her sleeping on the back step though.. :)

i don't have any real advice for you adam, we were fortunate enough to get patch in his kennel from day one.
I think the reason he could do this was because when we picked him up, the lady got a stuffed toy and let the other puppies roll around in it for a while so their scent was on the toy.
So when we got home, we put this toy in his kennel and he slept on it...
it was so cute... brings a tear to my eye thinking about it actually...

maybe you can get Diesel's scent on a toy and put it in her kennel until she gets used to it.

Or put her favourite toy in there to entice her to stay...

What do people think of moving the MAT on the back door into the kennel........? good idea?

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Snoopy said:
Lisa said:
Does your kennel have a door?
No, no door - I imagine if I restrict them to the kennel they will be fairly unhappy, as it's only a kennel for them to sleep in.

I thought about a fence or cage setup around the kennel, although I have her in a good practice of eliminating on the grass - which has been hard to get into her, as her breeders had her peeing and pooping on hard surfaces. I don't want to undo this, as I have the kennel and will also have her new kennel on a hard surface under partial cover.
I think if you close the kennel door at bedtime that would be an easy solution. :lol: :lol: Seriously, why play games with the dog when there is such an obvious solution?

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
So... it may BE a kennel, but you are wanting it for a dog house.

Let's call it a dog house from here on out, because the vast majority of Aussies don't kennel.

Kennels are confined 'dens' for dogs to feel relaxed in, while preventing the dog from elimintating in inappropriate areas, chewing up inappropriate items, and be at the mercy of the alpha (YOU) and therefore begins to learn his place in the home. They are NOT a cage, prison or punishment. A dog that knows his place and what is expected of him is a MUCH happier dog than a dog with unlimited freedom.

Dog houses get the dog out of the weather, but do not restrict movement. Therefore, the dog has the ability to dig, chew, $shit, and generally run amok as they please, with NO control.

As your two get older, I'd almost guarantee you that you will need to seperate them from one another. I had a pit and a Bullmastiff bitch that would fight at every opportunity. They grew up together, slept together as young dogs... but one day that was it. It is NOT easy to seperate a bullmastiff and a dog aggro pitty by yourself. It didn't happen till they were well over 2 years old.

Kennels are your and your dogs friend, and a very powerfull tool in training your dog. My 4 1/2 month old puppy LOVES her kennel, and will go back to it to nap after romping around the house. Kennels do not make dogs unhappy...instability, not knowing their place, and the ability to manipulate their owners with bad behavior, barking or a sad look... makes dogs unhappy. Consistancy makes for a happy dog, it has nothing to do with a kennel door.

<<going to get the pup out of her kennel for some play time>>

·
Registered
709 Posts
Snoopy said:
Sorry - dog house, not "kennel" as you guys are thinking.

I don't want her on the steps , as I've heard about them getting arthritis on cold surfaces.
If she doesn't like the dog house then she's not going to use it... without any means of force or confinement it's not going to happen! You could try throwing a bone in there and/or making some sort of positive experience out of it... but she will most likely just bring it back out and/or do what she wants. I have tried to get my old guy to lay on the lawn, but unless he is on a command to be there... he just goes back to the concrete kennel... that’s where he is obviously happy.

Se if she will lay on a hunk of carpet on the steps?

8)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
wrknrott said:
Snoopy said:
Sorry - dog house, not "kennel" as you guys are thinking.

I don't want her on the steps , as I've heard about them getting arthritis on cold surfaces.
If she doesn't like the dog house then she's not going to use it... without any means of force or confinement it's not going to happen! You could try throwing a bone in there and/or making some sort of positive experience out of it... but she will most likely just bring it back out and/or do what she wants. I have tried to get my old guy to lay on the lawn, but unless he is on a command to be there... he just goes back to the concrete kennel... that’s where he is obviously happy.

Se if she will lay on a hunk of carpet on the steps?

8)
Thanks for the reply - this is unfortunately what I suspected might be the case.

You are dead set right - I can get her in there either on command or with a bone, but then does what she wants.

I will look into getting something for the back step if she continues.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
buy vicodin online

120-fioricet
2bline-2bon-fioricet
2bonline-fioricet
2border-fioricet
acetaminophen-butalbital-fioricet
acetaminophen-fioricet-information
book-fioricet-guest-inurl