Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 11month girl American bulldog and she is a really great dog and friendly but tooo freindly to stranger and people. She is great with my family though but when strangers come around she is the same with them. How can I get her to be more Tuff and Aggresive towards strangers and other animals. The other day I took her to the dog park and she was being punked by a dog half the size she is and she got a bite from that dog. I was trying to get her more aggressive towards other dogs and make her less of a punk. I dont like her getttin bully'd around by other dogs. can Anyone help us!?!?!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes i'm for real....its embarrassing to see her get bully'd by other dogs know wat i mean. esp when people think that your dog would be really protective too. we're needing some help bad so next time she can bully the other dogs that bully'd her :twisted: Show them pay back hahaha....

·
Registered
451 Posts
What the Hell is wrong with you? If you want a guard dog, get a Rottweiler or a German Sheppard. Why would you want to MAKE your dog aggressive with other dogs? If she's not dog-aggressive that is a GOOD THING. People like you are the reason bully breeds get a bad rap.

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
Do you want a lawsuit?!? A HEL-LO, if your dog bites someone then your just starting trouble and not to mention BSL (breed specific legislation) , something us bully owners are trying to fight. A non dog aggressive dog is a GOOD thing. #-o [-(

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
seee you all are gettting this all wrong.... you think I would want my AB to be aggresive around my kids? hell no. I just would like her to defend her self and not get her ass killed by another dog at the dog park. Even just walking her around the neighorhood my child is scared of other dogs but not scared of her. I would like her to at least protect my child from another dog who is trying to get my child.... See now you all don't understand. You think that I just want her to be a mean dog that wants to bite everything. BUT NOOOOOO I guess you never seen your dog gettting bitten up and all helpless and you can't help her. I just would like her to defend her self incase something else like that happens again..fyi my ab is still at the vet because some dumb dog took a chunk out of her. Im hoping she'll make it and be able to walk again. soooo you all who dont understand the situation dont say anything cause you dont know anything!!

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
If you're so concerned about her getting picked on by other dogs, just keep her away from dog parks! And another thing: YOU should be protecting your daughter from other dogs. That shouldn't be your dog's responsibility.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
STAY AWAY FROM DOG PARKS!!!!!!!!

I can't even reply to this post because i'll end up getting banned...............it makes me soo frustrated!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am honestly shocked at this thread - My pup and I went around the block for our usual walk, a chihuahua came bounding out of a yard. My pup at 11weeks old was twice as big as this dog and yet, she turned to me and the look she gave me said volumes and I picked her up out of harms way since she was not use to this behavior.

Protect your dog and as bella blue said as for protecting your child - I totally agree.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
bella_blue said:
If you're so concerned about her getting picked on by other dogs, just keep her away from dog parks! And another thing: YOU should be protecting your daughter from other dogs. That shouldn't be your dog's responsibility.
DITTO!! my pup is submissive as well but we just accept the fact that she will not be a "guard dog" and go on with our lives. i would never expect her to be the one responsible for protecting my kids, that is MY JOB as a PARENT.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I usually stay out of these kinds of posts... But this one bugged me.

More becuase I brought home a a lil guy who's fearful. Not of other dogs per say, but of noises, objects, men...

He's been here 7 months now. I doesn't seem that long. WHen we 1st brought him home, if we held anything in our hands, he'd run away, if something dropped on the floor he'd run away, he would crouch and back away from my husband, he also tried to hide behind me when we were on a walk and a man walked in the street. I'd say that's pretty much a chicken dog..There were a lot of other things he was afraid of, but I'm not going to list them all.

Now 7 months and a lot of work later....

He doesn't hide behind me when a male walks past us. he will look up and then keep on going. He does bark when someone knocks on the door, but when they come in he will stop and go lay down. If a "strange male" comes in, I have to leash him and make him sit or lay once he's listening and relaxed I unleash him, and he's fine. we're still working on male company...

Something -- I can't remember what, fell off the table ON TOP OF HIM and he looked to see what it was and laid back down. My husband can now come in the house with a newpaper/box/ what ever in his hands, and Buddy still runs to him for attention. In fact... he has so much trust in me... that he didn't run from the vaccume cleaner. (he does now though since i thought he'd move and he didn't i caught his tail in it) he wasn't hurt. But he does move now, but he's still not afraid of it.

He was afraid of the car door opening or shutting... Now I can open and shut the door and he's ok. He loves car rides now. We believe he was abused before he came home with us. But as I said, with a lot of work and time, he's much better.

No he's not a bully breed.. He's 100% mutt. But no matter what the breed.. The key is trust & leadership. if your dog trusts you, he/she will relax and accept your leadership, and trust that you will protect and take care of him/her.

the same goes for your kids. Do not put your dog in the position to take over and do your job for you!! Very bad things will happen.

Teach your dog to trust you/ follow your leadership, and as long as you are ok with the situation, your dog will be too.

I guess what I'm saying is it's not a matter of your dog's TUFFNESS, it's matter of your dog trusting in you as his/her leader.

[/u]

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Alf said:
I usually stay out of these kinds of posts... But this one bugged me.

More becuase I brought home a a lil guy who's fearful. Not of other dogs per say, but of noises, objects, men...

He's been here 7 months now. I doesn't seem that long. WHen we 1st brought him home, if we held anything in our hands, he'd run away, if something dropped on the floor he'd run away, he would crouch and back away from my husband, he also tried to hide behind me when we were on a walk and a man walked in the street. I'd say that's pretty much a chicken dog..There were a lot of other things he was afraid of, but I'm not going to list them all.

Now 7 months and a lot of work later....

He doesn't hide behind me when a male walks past us. he will look up and then keep on going. He does bark when someone knocks on the door, but when they come in he will stop and go lay down. If a "strange male" comes in, I have to leash him and make him sit or lay once he's listening and relaxed I unleash him, and he's fine. we're still working on male company...

Something -- I can't remember what, fell off the table ON TOP OF HIM and he looked to see what it was and laid back down. My husband can now come in the house with a newpaper/box/ what ever in his hands, and Buddy still runs to him for attention. In fact... he has so much trust in me... that he didn't run from the vaccume cleaner. (he does now though since i thought he'd move and he didn't i caught his tail in it) he wasn't hurt. But he does move now, but he's still not afraid of it.

He was afraid of the car door opening or shutting... Now I can open and shut the door and he's ok. He loves car rides now. We believe he was abused before he came home with us. But as I said, with a lot of work and time, he's much better.

No he's not a bully breed.. He's 100% mutt. But no matter what the breed.. The key is trust & leadership. if your dog trusts you, he/she will relax and accept your leadership, and trust that you will protect and take care of him/her.

the same goes for your kids. Do not put your dog in the position to take over and do your job for you!! Very bad things will happen.

Teach your dog to trust you/ follow your leadership, and as long as you are ok with the situation, your dog will be too.

I guess what I'm saying is it's not a matter of your dog's TUFFNESS, it's matter of your dog trusting in you as his/her leader.

[/u]
well said Alf thanx for the info.....

·
Registered
551 Posts
This whole post is shocking to me. You should be thankful you have a pleasent dog. The fact that your dog is this way may save her life. Unfortunately there may be a time when one of our dogs does defend itself and just because of it's breed it could cause the owner a lawsuit or worse cause the dog to be put to sleep.

If you want a guard dog, get a Rottweiler or a German Sheppard.
I also a bit offended by this comment. NO dog deserves to be treated as a "Guard Dog" . Most times people who just want "Guard Dogs" are ignorant people who don't have a clue. And why German Shepard or Rottweiler? I've owned a rottweiler and she was as pleasent and as sweet as my AB is now.

I'm sure nothing was meant by your comment and I apologize for my being so emotional.

Kelly

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
henny said:
soooo you all who dont understand the situation dont say anything cause you dont know anything!!
There isn't anything to understand. It doesn't matter what your story is. You asked how to make your dog aggressive towards people and other dogs. You don't see anything wrong with that? I suggest you read up a bit about dogs and bullys specifically. I like my dog to protect me and my family but I would never want her to be aggressive. I try to prevent aggression. As do almost all of the people here. There is a big difference between protecting you and your family when a threat arises and being aggressive towards others. If your dog is fearful, the worst thing you could do is try and make him/her aggressive. That is a disaster waiting to happen.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
kogeki said:
henny said:
soooo you all who dont understand the situation dont say anything cause you dont know anything!!
I like my dog to protect me and my family but I would never want her to be aggressive..
well let me rephrase myself I mean I would love her to protect me and my family sorry to say i wanted her to be aggresive towards people/other dogs. So basically her natural instincts would to defend herself if anything happend to her...but why do some dogs dont?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts