Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Meli is my pitbull puppy.

I have a miniature pinture, that she loves to play with " Im still unsure if she is playing or being agressive towards her" she is pretty old and im assuming that the miniature pinture is just being annoyed by her and what not, But lets say im playing with Meli and she starts to nip at me and i submit her to the ground until she is calm again, She will wait a few moments then go right after the other dog. I'm not sure if she is doing this becasue she is still a puppy or if she has signs of dog aggression.

If so how do i stop her from behaving like this? Even though i submit her she still nips at me all the time when im walking she will grab and rip my pants or whatever she can get ahold of and its really getting annoying.

Any tips would be much appreciated!

Thank you!

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Put the dog in time out but not her crate....Tell her "No" when she nips you and put her in a safe,boring place for a few minutes.

As for the other dog, pups like to test there boundaries if the other dog is not being hurt then they will work it out.The MIni Pin is just setting up boundaries, if you believe the pup is hurting the other dog then crate and rotate them.... Dogs tend to play loud trust me you know the different between a fight and play. Good luck

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply!

Well, The thing is i do not have a crate for her.
But i have leashed her up to the pole we have in the backyard and she starts whinning when shes on it. Could this be a good way to detour her from nipping at me or anyone else? And if so, How long should i have her on the pole for?

Thanks alot!

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Just a few mintues will suffice maybe 3 to 5....I put Tora in the bathroom when she acted up. It was dark (I turned out the lights) boring and nothing to play with :twisted:Momma dont play,lol. Just make sure you do this quickly and every single time he/she nips. My personal belief if the main keys to training is timing and consistancy..........I forgot one major detail I touched Tora's mouth as I said no....Good luck this worked for me hopefully it will work for you, I am sure others will have different advice just use what works for you

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
This puppy needs to learn that you are the alpha, your minpin is second in line, and she is last.
You should do things like feed your minpin first, greet your minpin first. The dog that will grow
up to be the larger of the two, in this case the pit, should NEVER think she is the alpha over your
smaller dog. That will end up causing problems in the future. Always keep your pit puppy on leash
so you can quickly correct her. I would teach her now that nipping either of you is no good. Her nips
can get serious as she gets older. And watch out for the forced submission thing AKA Alpha Roll.
As she gets older you may get yourself hurt, even with a submissive dog. they do not like that.
I would reward she being calm with the other one and you, and make sure she gets plenty of exercise
to wear her out. You have to teach her not to play rough with your old dog.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The thing is, When i try to stop her from rough housing with me. It just fuels her flames, And i have no idea what to do after that, besides tie her up or just walk away from her. She is also not allowed in the house because of the cats we have and other reasons.

I just want to be a good leader for her and companion, Just sometimes i feel bad because i'll be doing other things and not spend any time with her :( , Don't get me wrong i spend atleast 1 to 1 and 1/2 hrs with her until she starts getting rough with me.

Well any tips would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
If you are shoving her to try and make her stop, she's viewing this as you are playing rough back.
I like using the arms crossed look at the sky method. It's a way of correcting your dog by ignoring
it and has them learn that certain behaviors don't get your attention. Most of the time when you attempt
to correct a puppy, it just sees it as attention.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, So that didnt seem to work at all. She just kept tearing my clothes up and now i got no more work pants lol.

I've tried to ignore her and nothing, Also tried holding her to the grown until she was calm again and that also does not work and i found out its not a good thing to do, Can't put her in the bathroom because she is in the backyard.

I just don't know how to get her to quit, Oh yea! I've also tried that hand in the mouth thing and that doesnt work either. Another thing is she's up at like 2-3am messing with the minipin and it wakes everyone up because the minipin just screams like she's getting murdered.. But she is not... Because i've stood at the door and watched them and she just pushes her with her body weight or will stand over her, Or step on her by accident. But as of right now i have her tied to the swing set and she is whinning like a puppy lol. Does this mean she is getting the point?

Well thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Maybe the water bottle method,lol. Spray her with a water bottle when she does it? Shake a penny can? I am taking shots in the dark at this point. PM Nelson he is a pro

·
Registered
6,660 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Holy crap! I sprayed them with a water bottle a couple times about 4hrs ago and i don't hear a thing!
I'm going to cross my fingers and pray that they stay like this for the night or for good HAHA!

My stupid neighbor had the nerve to tell me from across the fence, If i could keep them quiet because they are doing it every night, And i told him that she is a puppy and is getting adjusted to her new surroundings, But if you would like to pay for her training then by all means please do. Then he shut his trap and walked back into his house.

I also think they are the ones that did something to my "American Eskimo" that i loved dearly and never made any noises, Besides jumping up on the walls from time to time haha, Till this day i still have no clue as to what happend to her, I thought she got out or something but our gates are always closed and were closed when i noticed she was missing from the back yard, She was very special to me and for their sake i pray to god they had nothing to do with her disappearance. Because even if she did hop onto the wall she would just sit there or jump right back down, And she would never leave the yard at all.

Well, Anyways. Thanks again!

EDIT: This is a picture of snowball from awhile ago. Miss her alot and it sucks :cry:

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
We are in a similar situation. Just introduced a baby pit bull (Grizwald) to our 12-year-old boxer/dalmation mutt (Abraham). BOTH dogs know that my husband and I are the alpha, and the puppy knows he's last in line.

We established this by ignoring him when he's bad and praising him when he's good.
That constant puppy biting/nipping? We say "OUCH" and withdraw our hands, our eye contact, and our attention. (Folding arms and looking at the sky is a great way to do it). If he's REALLY hyper and won't stop wiggling and biting everything I'll stand up tall, and say in a very firm voice "CALM." I keep saying it, over and over "CALM" in the most booming voice I can without sounding angry. Keep doing it until he calms down, then praise, but praise calmly "good puppy" don't go nuts. It's totally true, giving them ANY attention to a bad behavior, negative or positive, can be construed by the puppy as a great thing and only serves to reinforce the bad behavior.

As for our older dog, Grizwald harassed him like crazy when he first got here. I let old Abe draw the line in dog-speak. (We watched/supervised their play carefully at first).

Griz would jump around, nipping/harrassing him and wanting to play rough. They would start rolling around and if Griz went too far and made Abe mad, Abe would usually clamp his jaws down gently on the puppy's hind leg, which totally immobilized him but didn't hurt him. Grizwald would be totally confused for a second and stop acting like a jerk for a while. If your older dog is stable, neutered, and calm, he should be able to establish his boundaries with the puppy on his own. Now, Grizwald and Abe play well and sometimes a little rough, but Grizwald knows JUST how far he can go with Abe before he makes him mad - and never crosses that line. They figured out their pack order with no help from us.

If you don't trust your older dog not to hurt the puppy then I'd have to wonder why you got a pup in the first place. Introducing a pup to an older dog that's unstable, territorial or aggressive would be a world of hurt for all involved. I think you'll be fine though, just be patient and prepared to work hard!!!!! And GET A CRATE! IMHO tying a dog up for ANY reason is NEVER OK.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, My minipin is very small and old and she does not fight her at all.. She can barely even chew on bones at that.
She just has this very annoying bark that she gives the pit when shes playing.. When i observe them from the door the minipin is just wagging her tail when she barks so i think she is enjoying it though lol.

Actually when i went to sleep last night my sister told me they started up around 4:23 am, And i don't know what im supposed to do with them when im asleep lol, Because i can't be out there of course.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Wear them out during the day

So they sleep all night!

Our pup gets a few miles walk before bedtime

Sleeps all night, sometimes until 9-10AM!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yea, I just walked them for a good hour.

The thing is that my minipin is soooo old she can't really keep up on the long walks, So it's kinda hard to walk the pit for along time unless i want to walk her by herself, But i don't think that would be a good thing to do. Because i don't want her to think she's #2.

But would she think this way? If i was to walk her without the minipin?

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I walk my pup *without* the old dawg in the evenings every time. It's not Abe that needs to get worn out - he's worn out enough as it is by his age - it's the PUPPY that needs to expend all that extra energy! YES walk the pup without your other dog, often! He'll be less distracted by the minpin - and able to focus on learning how to walk properly on a leash AND bond with you alone. When we get back from our walk the pup's nice and tired - his energy level matches Abe's at that point and they BOTH conk out for the night. (That nightly long walk is good for my husband and I too, it's great exercise that helps us sleep well, plus it's romantic!) :wink:

·
Registered
81 Posts
It may well be the older dog is trying to dominate her and she doesnt like it and so is trying to return the favour.

I had a similar problem with my male pup Moto, mainly because hes still nervous of bigger dogs and when they lick his privates and try to jump on him, poor little soul gets very upset and decides to attack them.

First thing to respect is that it may, like Moto, not be entirely your pups fault. Older dogs can be assertive and highly annoying to pups sometimes.

What worked for me with Moto was simply calling him to feet and making him sit. He would still snap at the other dog and I had to hold him in place while firmly advising him no, bad. Most importantly, when you puppy stops doing it after you tell her no bad a few times, comfort her, reassure her that shes ok and pet her some.

I know it seems odd but you are trying to find a balance between the puppies behavior and showing her you understand her a little.

After a couple of weeks of this approach Moto is much, much better. He still snaps when another dog tries to mount him but he does it in a way which shows he has learned from everything. He will snap at them, just to say STOP, and then go directly back about his business and pay them no further heed.

This is healthy in a dog, you shouldnt be angry because your dog is warning others to stop harassing them, its good that they can communicate this clearly without resorting to violent attacks and aggression.

Previously Moto would do what you pup is doing, even after time out go straight back over and start biting at their face again, thats the part you want to curb. With Moto I understood it was nerves and a dislike for being stood on, so I set out with the aim to show him understanding while teaching him that attacking dogs isnt the solution.

For me it worked a charm, hes very calm now, when a dog gets too much for him he will turn and snap just infront of its face in a straight warning, no snarling or teeth, and then he will just go right back to his own life without further protestation. For me its very healthy and a good balance.

I hope it helps some.

The second part of your problem also reuqires a more odd approach. This method I have found excellent for teaching young dogs their limits without getting into dominance and agrresion.

Whenever she nips or bites you and you dont want her doing it, yelp like a dog, then walk away and leave her on her own. Dont show her any further attention, if you can leave the room and close the door perfect, do it.
Do it everytime she exceeds your limits.

Pups learn limits, bit inhibition and other things from other pups and their parents, its a trial and error thing. They learn that when the game gets to rough, people yelp, the game stops and its all done. This is where you come in, you are now mother, brother, father and two sisters to your dog, she needs you to teach her.

You have to teach her that certain limits have to be imposed and when she goes passed them the games stop and she loses her attention. Keep to this for a few weeks and she should naturally develop an understanding of your limits and the where the game stops.

Hope that also helps.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
IlubMeli said:
:shock:

Your ES looks just like my Pomeranian.. hey they ARE related but still..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts