Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a crazy amount of rabbits where I live so whenever i take my pup for a walk and he sees a rabbit I always let him chase after it. If there is someone around i kinda pretend like im mad at him for chasing it but i secretly praise it. IS this practice illegal? this might sound stupid but if he does catch the rabbit will he kill it and eat it? if he does eat it would that be healthy for a dog? and last question anyone else let there dog do this?

·
Registered
451 Posts
xxmind0vermatter said:
There is a crazy amount of rabbits where I live so whenever i take my pup for a walk and he sees a rabbit I always let him chase after it. If there is someone around i kinda pretend like im mad at him for chasing it but i secretly praise it. IS this practice illegal? this might sound stupid but if he does catch the rabbit will he kill it and eat it? if he does eat it would that be healthy for a dog? and last question anyone else let there dog do this?
I don't ever let my dog off-leash in public, so no, I don't do that. Will he eat it if he catches it? He might, he might not. I had a dog who used to catch ground hogs, and she'd eat half of them and leave the rest (gross).

The only thing I'd be worried about if my dog ate something like that would be parasites. I'm not sure if it's ok for the dog to eat or not, sorry.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Well I don't let Moose chase ducks but I do let my Jack Russell chase them because they are a pest (pooping all over my carport, driveway and side walks). Gator my JR loves bowling for ducks. He hits them with his body and run and makes them fly. He won't kill them unless they are in the back yard with him. Moose my AB WILL kill them

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
debs said:
Well I don't let Moose chase ducks but I do let my Jack Russell chase them because they are a pest (pooping all over my carport, driveway and side walks). Gator my JR loves bowling for ducks. He hits them with his body and run and makes them fly. He won't kill them unless they are in the back yard with him. Moose my AB WILL kill them
Moose, you duck killer! What a savage beast. :wink:

My dogs WOULD chase rabbits if I let them. My problem would be, that they wouldn't come back if I let them chase anything! When my dogs found the nest of baby possums in the back yard, they killed all 8 of them, played tug of war with them, dismembered them, and carried them around like trophies.. but they did not eat them.
:puke:

·
Banned
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thats one thing I LOVE about my puppy that i didnt even teach him he just does nomatter what. anywhere i am, anytime, I kneel down and say come here and he runs to me.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
GROSS Heaven and Koa, pieces of possum around the yard and then prancing around with it :pukeright:

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
xxmind0vermatter said:
thats one thing I LOVE about my puppy that i didnt even teach him he just does nomatter what. anywhere i am, anytime, I kneel down and say come here and he runs to me.
Yeah mine did that when they were pups too. I am teasing when I say they won't come back... but now that they are older, if a rabbit ran off in the woods, they wouldn't think twice about running off to chase it, and who cares what Mom says. They'd eventually come back, but only with a dead rabbit. I won't ever let them off leash!

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Tara<3Boss said:
xxmind0vermatter said:
I don't ever let my dog off-leash in public, so no, I don't do that. Will he eat it if he catches it? He might, he might not. I had a dog who used to catch ground hogs, and she'd eat half of them and leave the rest (gross).

The only thing I'd be worried about if my dog ate something like that would be parasites. I'm not sure if it's ok for the dog to eat or not, sorry.
I have to agree with you here I would be most worried about diseases, parasites, etc

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
CC tries to catch birds, rabbits, bugs, and groundhogs! I like the groundhog thing. She already chased off the one in the back yard, which means I can replant my flowers. she never gets anything.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Take the opportunity to train obedience, let him chase then call him. But would first find out he disease situation for rabbits in your area.
Good luck

·
Registered
798 Posts
Odin gets closer and closer to catching this huge rabbit in the backyard everyday, Hes off leash when I take him out back, and the rabbit doesnt move for some reason. Odin sees him and will get close, and bolt after him...but the rabbit usually gets through the fence before he can get to him.

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Sennin said:
Odin gets closer and closer to catching this huge rabbit in the backyard everyday, Hes off leash when I take him out back, and the rabbit doesnt move for some reason. Odin sees him and will get close, and bolt after him...but the rabbit usually gets through the fence before he can get to him.
LOL Someday we'll be reading a post from you that Odin got that rabbit! :lol:

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Natural instinct. One of my pups that went to a new home at 9 weeks old raided the chicken coop over a period of about 2 weeks and caught and ate all the chickens!!!That's determination!!!

Dixie on the other hand, will chase squirrels and lizards, but when they stop, she leaves them, I think she is just in it for the chase!!!

Sass eats them.........ewwwww!!!

I like the idea of using it as a training tool.

But yeah, rabies, parasites, etc.yuk!

·
Registered
940 Posts
I have almost an acre and a half fenced in, half is field. The girls caught themselves a rabbit last week. I couldn't figure out why they weren't moving. So I went to check it out, and they were chewing on a rabbit. They ate the head and the two front legs, and were chewing on the rest of it.......I got a shovel and flung the carcass over the fence. Then I wanted to make sure I got all the pieces, and found.....the entrails.....I scooped them up, and lost my breakfast in the process..... :oops: ....twice...... :oops:

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
When the pups were babies, and just starting to go out in the yard to play and potty, hubby started the mower, it had been sitting for a month or two. As it was running, we heard a loud thump and snake parts came spewing out everywhere.

We picked most of it up before the pups came back out, but missed some. Kati was funny prancing around with a snake head held way up high trying to keep it from the other pups, and they were finding peices forever. I was finding sticks to pick the peices up forever.

Luckily it was just a black racer and not a rattler!!!
EWWWWWWW

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
My dogs are crazy for anything that moves. They hunt lizards all day long because that is pretty much the only wildlife we have in our yard (except for those stupid june bugs). They've never caught one though. They're too clumbsy. When they catch moths and bugs, they play with them and torture them until they are almost lifeless and then Heidi takes it out back and swallows it whole. It's ruthless.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I just wouldn't want to clean up after the feast..... :pukeright:

My dog did like to chase squirls in our backyard, but they always got away. He did once pick up a little critter that was already dead (I don't even know what it was cuz it was half decomposed....ewww *quiver*). Anyways, we were at the baseball diamond, and he tried to come show me what he found. I was LITERALLY running away from him gagging, and he had this nastiness hanging half out his mouth, chasing me around with it, trying to jump up. I went outside the diamond, waited until he dropped it, and then called him over. I went directly to Petcetera and got him washed up....and didn't let him give me a kiss for a week.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.