Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you given your doggie his/her HW pill this month?

So I've been having trouble getting Haus to take his. What are some tricks you guys use?

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
We haven't given Loki hers yet but we are going to soon. We give her the chewable Heartgard thing and she loves it.

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They had Haus on Heartgard, but then they switched it to Iverhart. He's not so fond of those. I got him to take it this time. I took a spoon full of peanut butter and put the pill in it. Then when he came up to lick the peanut butter, I very quickly rubbed the spoon on his lips to get the peanut butter AND the pill into his mouth. He swallowed it without a second thought and then came back to clean the spoon!

PS. I'm out of cheese! :(

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I just stick the pill in the back of Bella's throat and massage her neck to encourage her to swallow it.

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
With the number of dogs I have had to give pills to in the last 6 years, I have tried everything. Some are pickier than others. I use bread, cheese, or peanut butter most of the time, but Dante could fish the pill out of all of those. For him, I had to use canned puppy food to hide his pills in - worked like a charm since my guys never get canned food. Pate works well, too, if you have it around.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Mine get the chewable ones....the look like big squishy bars about 1 inch long...Scarlet loves them she thinks it a treat! She did not do well with the pill kind so we switched to these.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
heartguard is the one I use and Moose and gator eat it with no problem but Tina I have to tell her about 2 times to eat and then she does but she is not happy about it.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
bella_blue said:
I just stick the pill in the back of Bella's throat and massage her neck to encourage her to swallow it.
Take control of him!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: LOL Grab his mouth and open it up and cram the pill as far back as you can and then close his mouth, hold it shut and blow in his face. He will swallow it! I promise!! Good Luck

P.S. Heartgard RULES!!!

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
SugarBear said:
Take control of him!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: LOL Grab his mouth and open it up and cram the pill as far back as you can and then close his mouth, hold it shut and blow in his face. He will swallow it! I promise!! Good Luck

P.S. Heartgard RULES!!!
I was beginning to think I was weird for just sticking a pill in Bella's mouth...haha. She's never not swallowed a pill that I've given to her like this.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts