Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I have a major problem with my 4 month female; around the house and on walks she is very calm and polite...BUT when it comes to meeting people, she gets so hyper and happy, even if its people that she met before not. Its not that she doesnt obey when i tell her to stay and wait, it´s a freak show when I let her say hello. When i have guests over, this goes on and on for hours. Any advice?

bo

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for your reply, i already done that.... doesnt work, she just ignoring the treats. She doesnt respond to food

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
AT 4 months old she is way too young to be expecting any real obedience out of her and in fact you are probably creating bad obedience habits by demanding so much from such a young dog. You are probably shouting commands at her and she is just ignoring them anyways. She is too young to correct and probably doesn't fully understand what you are asking of her. Very counterproductive. Instead, schedule actual times where you do obedience with her. Make sure you aren't distraced by company or chores and keep foucssed on her and what she is doing. The biggest mistake people make is shouting commands at a dog when it doesn't understand, or if it does understand shouting commands but not being consistent in what you actually demand from the dog. I see this happen alot with friends and family who own dogs. They just don't take the training seriously then wonder why their dogs won't listen. (I made these same mistake but learned from them :) ) IF she gets too annoying when company is over just crate her after she gets to say her hellos. No point constantly scolding her. She actually sounds like a nice, confident puppy. Any dog who is willing to approach people fearlessly is a good thing. That is confidence. I would be worried if you had the opposite problem.

·
Registered
125 Posts
We call it the wiggle dance. Philo did the same thing, and still does this freak wiggle thing when she meets people.
She is now a year old and it has gotten way better, but she gets SO excited when people talk to her.
The only thing we've been able to do is have her leash on at all times when people are over and consistantly correct
her if she tries to jump on the person with an "off".

Now after a few minutes she finally settles down, but it has been very slow. It's pretty funny though.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Mine both did that now that they have grown they are good and calm unless the person invites them they still will go over to people to greet them but a lot calmer now they don't get over excited now. Yours are very young right now. I would do as Lisa says put them in the crate after they have done their greeting thats what I use to do.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I'd like to tell you that your pup will grow out of it...but I'm not so sure. Boss was like that the day I got him, he's 11 months old now, and still gets insanely excited when he's around other people. He's getting better, and I'm trying to just stay calm, and calmy ask him to sit and make sure he stays off of the guest. Some people he gets more excited around than others. So, you're not alone :lol:

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Bella is 14 months old, and she's STILL a hyper freak. It's like she gets so emotionally revved up and excited that she just can't contain herself. I hope she grows out of it because we're failing horribly at training it out of her!!

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
My apbt Shadow was like this aswell, and he still has his moments where he get's extremely excited to see new people. He's a year old now but he has gotten better as time went by.

What we would do is when company came over we would give the guest a treat and put him in a sit/stay position. If he didn't jump up at people then he would get petted and the treat.

Now all I have to do is tell him no and he'll sit down and wait patiently for someone to approach him.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
What we would do is when company came over we would give the guest a treat and put him in a sit/stay position. If he didn't jump up at people then he would get petted and the treat.
That is good advice for someone with a mature dog or older puppy, but the O/P's pup is only 4 months old. IMO that is way too young to be demanding a pup hold a sit more than a few seconds. The worst thing anyone can do to their dog is set them up to fail. That's why I crate puppies as much as I do when they are young and so annoying. Sure they get to socialize and say hello to company for a bit but after they do this they get crated so I don't have to constantly scold them for being little terrors...after all thats what most puppies are! The older they get, and the more they understand commands and are able to hold them, the more freedom they get.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts