Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I am a proud owner of a 8 mo English Bullie. His name is Mack...

I dont know if this is just something bullie puppies do or this is his personality. He is very dominant with me and my daughter. Not mean but tries to show us that he is boss. I have heard that we should put him in a "hold" for serveral minutes to show him that he is wrong.

He is also very stubborn. Does not listen at all. I have to chase him around the house just to go outside to go pee. Drives me nuts. He is totally housebroken and crate trained but it is almost like him going outside is a HUGE game!! But it is not a game when I am trying to go to work!!! :lol:

So I guess what I am asking is....Is this hold position the right thing to do? And what do I do for his stubborn nature???

Thank you!!!
Macks Mom!

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I'm not 100% sure about the hold thing.

but for the stubborness with going outside... I would try not chasing him at all. If he doesnt go outside before you need to go to work, then he goes into his cage and has to hold it until you get home. He will very quickly realize that that time is his time to go potty. and I know it sounds harsh but believe me, he will learn quickly, esepcially if he really has to go. Cause right now, it is a game to him and your falling for it every time. And if he messes in his crate because he didn't go out, he will learn even quicker to go out before crate time.

·
Registered
288 Posts
rowdy dog

Check out the Dog Whisperer T.V. Show. He will show you the way to a balanced animal. Discipline, exercise and affection are key.

Be the pack leader,

Jackie

p. s. Again, I'm no expert, but putting the dog in some wrestling hold sounds like hooey to me!

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Jackie's back!!!!! :D

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Bear is very stubborn as well. The EB breed is stubborn by trait. Bear has tried to push his dominance on me, especially before he was fixed. I had to be consistent in letting him know who was boss. It seemed it did it with me more than my husband. So I held fast to correcting him every time and letting him get the best of me. In the most stubborn of time I did hold him down until he stopped and yielded to me. He is much better now. And rarely tries it. But as soon as he starts I let him know. I hope I helped. Maybe someone else has better advise.

·
Registered
720 Posts
As far as your dominant issues go (YES) hold him down and look him in the eyes! But there is a trick to it! You must not hold him down for a long period of time, just hold him down for a minute and then let him up and pet him, rough house alittle bit and tell him good boy! I know it seems strange but thats what the alpha dog in a pack does when a lower ranking member of the pack gets out of line the alpha male will pin him just for a minute until he submits and then he will let him up and actually play with him, this will reinforce the pack bond! If you do not play with him as soon as you let him up you will be causing more issues because the dog just challenged you as pack leader and lost but the thing is he is not realizing he is part of the pack if you let him up and then dont play with him like the alpha would do in that situation, instead you just created the roll of a dog wondering into a strange pack and challenging the alpha and losing and getting chased out! When you do this the dog will continue to challenge you when he feels like he can over take you as alpha, just like in the wild when a stray wolf gets beat by the alpha male he will continue to come back every so offten and rechallenge the alpha for that position! As far as him running from you when time to go out side start teaching him to come on command, take a clothesline about 25ft long and tie it to his collar and let him wander off and tell him in a firm voice COME and then pull him all the way to you and praise him (DO NOT REWARD WITH TREATS) keep doing this over and over for about 20 to 30 minutes a day and it will become 2nd nature to him. You want to use a clothesline because it does not feel like a leash, if you use a leash he will know when he is on his leash and when he is not! Once you have (COME) mastered then start taking him outside on a leash and start training him to heel...but remember he is still a puppy he will get bored with training fast and then stop learning so try to make it fun for him to keep him interested! At his age keep the lessons under 30 minutes and most important just take baby steps (one lesson at a time) if you try to teach him more than one thing at a time it will just confuse him. Sorry for going on but sounded like you needed some help!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
WOW! AMBULL!! That is great!!

I am going to print that out so my husband can follow that as well.

Thank you so much everyody!!

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Good advice

Good Ambull, My spirit was a little fiesty one and found out quick who was alpha dog here . Now we just use positive training for him he is a very happy close pup now we cuddle all the time. and he is closer than ever he stopped challeging me after awhile.
But you need to be consistant too with what ambull told you.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I agree with ambull, you've got to be the Alpha Dog. I have found with this breed (and I too am new to this breed) they continuely try to dominent more so than any other breed. They 're not at all a bad breed just very strong minded and bodied. Patience is the key with this breed and these bullies are worth every deep breath.

·
Super Moderator
16,005 Posts
One more thought - this the the time (The Teenage Pup) when they start challanging you just as a teenager does with a parent. There is nothing wrong with your dog, he is just going through a stage that needs correction along with patience and persistance. . Good luck. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts