Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My middle daughter and my son came running into the house yesterday crying (they're 9 and 6). My daughter says, "Mom, Ryan found something TERRIBLE outside and we're so scared for Sophie." I asked them what it was, and my daughter says, "It's giant worms! I'm so scared she's going to die! The worms are all purple and green!" Now, I thought that there's no way she has worms becuase we worm her religiously, let alone purple and green ones :) So on went my shoes and I followed my wailing kids out to see what it could be. There in a poop pile were some purple and green thingies that looked sure enough like giant worms. But it wasn't worms. Sophie had swallowed a Koosh ball looking thingie and pooped it out! EWWWW. We had been getting stuff ready upstairs for a rummage sale for a St. Judes fundraiser and I guess Sophie snitched the ball and ate it whole. I know for the last couple of days she didn't eat much, but I thought she had just been tired from playing so hard at the rummage sale. Holy cow! :shock:

What kinds of things have your dogs eaten? I remember someome here said their dog ate and pooped out dryer sheets and we laughed so hard.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Oh, when I was working at the vet hospital we pulled things out of dogs all the time.

We had this one EB who came in all the time for eating stuff. He ate a rope, a nightgown, a blanket..
The weirdest thing he ever ate had to be his owner's daughter's thong.

Strange thing is, she wanted it back..

:shock:

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
:laughing3: Its funny now cause she isn't hurt by the ball.
I can see why they'd be freaked out seeing that in her poop, id freak out too!
I'm always paranoid Orson will eat something, luckily he hasn't. If he has i havent noticed cause
i try not to get too close to his poop, i stay down wind from them :fart:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Dryer sheets....yep that's my dog. She LOVES dryer sheets. Along with dryer sheets, she will eat kleenex, paper towels, toilet paper, socks, underwear and towels.

Oddly enough tonight we were in the middle of eating a lovely steak dinner with my family and Philo starts doing the
retching thing, that all dog owners know. I pick her up and move her to the hard wood floor. I swear she vomitted
up 5lbs of vomit, which included my running sock, my husbands athletic sock and a pair of HIS underwear. I swear
we feed this animal! She is much lighter now though....

She is nuts!!

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
You know whats funny is I got an e-mail from pedigree (the send monthy newsletters) and it had an article on Canine Pica...a condition dogs have when they have the need to eat uneatable things. Not just dogs that chew ones that actually feel the need to swallow things. It was actually rather interesting...seems to me they just wanted a name for it...to me all dogs chew and eat something at some point in their lives...I guess some are more apt to it than others. Scarlet has this problem...she chews things but also HAS to eat them...shes nuts about it. I have lots about 20 thongs, thousands of socks, shirts, nightgowns, shoes laces, she also eats sticks (not just chew them but swallow them). I feel very lucky that my dog that eats everything has not had any compications from this other than me having to pull stuff out her ars when she poos! We have changed our lifestyle because of this! We have learned to make sure to close doors and to place things up on shelves...nothing is on ground level in our house...but she still manages to get stuff! :twisted:

·
Banned
1,365 Posts
has anyone ever seen what a golf ball looks like after going thru the digestive track...WHOA :shock: ..talk about thinking worms I was with the kids on that one..I was pumping safeguard into my dog three times a day..

·
Registered
223 Posts
oh man, that is really gross!

Sally mostly eats leaves and sticks which is close to impossible to get it away from her. the worst for us so far is she ate the fringe of a carpet and it got "stuck" in her poop hole and we had to pull it out! not fun!

·
Banned
3,504 Posts
cfhoftampa said:
You know whats funny is I got an e-mail from pedigree (the send monthy newsletters) and it had an article on Canine Pica...a condition dogs have when they have the need to eat uneatable things. Not just dogs that chew ones that actually feel the need to swallow things. It was actually rather interesting...seems to me they just wanted a name for it...to me all dogs chew and eat something at some point in their lives...I guess some are more apt to it than others. Scarlet has this problem...she chews things but also HAS to eat them...shes nuts about it. I have lots about 20 thongs, thousands of socks, shirts, nightgowns, shoes laces, she also eats sticks (not just chew them but swallow them). I feel very lucky that my dog that eats everything has not had any compications from this other than me having to pull stuff out her ars when she poos! We have changed our lifestyle because of this! We have learned to make sure to close doors and to place things up on shelves...nothing is on ground level in our house...but she still manages to get stuff! :twisted:
There is Pica in humans too...most often you hear about it during pregnancy...your doctor will ask you if you have the urge to eat things like dirt, clay pots, etc...it's an indication of a lack of certain vitamins/minerals. My problem during pregnancy was constantly chewing ice (drove my husband NUTS!!)...and it's weird because I usually have really sensitive teeth. My doctor noticed me eating ice out a cup during one of my visits, and tested me for anemia...and I was VERY anemic. Apparently, the urge to chew ice is an indicator of low iron! lol!

The schnauzer we had growing up used to eat LOTS of stuff...he ended up having surgery due to a blockage...the blockage was 2 pairs of nylons, a sock, 2 earrings, part of a book and the crotch of a bathing suit, lol! I just remember the vet handing my mom this big bag full of stuff they had pulled out of him...said w needed to keep a close eye on him!

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
How about corn...including the cob? That was a disgusting vomit mess I had to clean up.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Oh these are some crazy stories!! Luckily Bogart doesn't eat my stuff-except he has eaten my chapstick before. I knew something was up because his breath smelled really nice.

He used to eat sticks, but he stopped doing that thank goodness.

My sister's dog once ate a tampon, or maybe it was a pad. EEEwwwwww :shock:

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Don't let your dog eat corn..

The only strange thing my pit has ever eaten was a piece of her bed's fabric. I noticed it missing (a hole punched out)
so I thought nothing of it and just swen the hole closed. Maybe three months later she pooped it out.

I'm not sure if it was in her the entire time or if she found it later on and ate it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Too funny!

I have laughed so hard reading these. I feel much, much better now that I know Sophie isn't the only dog who eats things. I still get this image of pop up diaper wipes with the dryer sheets coming out. I can't imagine some of these things like a golf ball and a thong, of all things.

Every time I hear Sophie head upstairs now I get nervous.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
My parents dog used to eat my panties and my socks, no one else's. It used to piss me off so much, Victoria's is not cheap! Crazy dog!

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Their dog had good taste..
:D
Ewww.. that could be taken all different ways

·
Registered
44 Posts
my dog eats wicker baskets, wicker chairs, tree bark, and wooden tables and poops out broom sticks. well, they look like broomsticks. haha.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
I remember when Roxy was younger, I had put my laundry in the laundry room and was going to do it later...when i came back, I picked up my things and started sorting it. Wouldn't you know that the crotches out of ALL my thongs were eating right through! There were like 10-15 pairs ruined! That's like $200 in underwear! Could've killed her, the sick perv!

My aunt's Golden Retriever is the WORST for this! She makes wedding cakes for aliving and spent 2 days making fondant daisies to cover this one cake. well he found it and ate them all! Needless to say, she was not happy! Another time they noticed he was struggling to poo in the backyard, so my uncle went out there, and there was a corner of a towel sticking out. He pulled it out and it was a whole hand towel! no parts missing just whole! all tightly wound and spiralled! even grosser was that they washed it and use it as a rag!

·
Registered
212 Posts
my old girl Jasper used to do the same thing. I had a wire laundry hamper and she would stick her snout in and pull out all my undies, and do just what Roxy would. Sicko.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
If there's one single thing I could change about bullys it would be their tendancies to eat dangerous things. I feel very lucky that Tala hasn't eaten anything too bad, but I watch her like a hawk. Some of the unsettling things she's eaten are: pieces of chewed up toys, entire plants, pieces of plastic, toy stuffing, spiky caterpillar, a bee, potato bugs (ew!), a stick.

The caterpillar was the worst. They're spiked for a reason, but there was no telling Tala that. She puked it back up over and over, and then started choking on it. I put her in the car to rush her to the vet she was choking so bad, but half way there so managed to swallow it down.

I read this article last time I was at the vet about this poor bull terrier that nearly died from eating bubble wrap. The owners were delivered a crate of olive oil while they were at work, and their bull terrier chewed up and swalled so much bubble wrap that she had to have it surgically removed.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Off topic, your bull terrier is stunning!
:eek:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts