Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so i'm kinda sick of vacumming my living room EVERY SINGLE DAY!
That's what i've been doing for the past few weeks.... he is shedding hair like you wouldn't believe!!!
After I vacuum, if he comes in for 5 minutes, i have a look at the rug again, and it's covered in white hair!
and then the coffee table... and the pillows....
its everywhere!
not to mention my clothes.

I wouldn't usually mind, except i've injured my back and getting on all fours to vacuum close to the rug is KILLING me!

it's gotten to the point where i dont like him in the house anymore!

Any suggestions people?
is it true that fish oil stops them from shedding?

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Leeann.Bella.Remy said:
My dogs are on very high quality kibble and supplements, and they still shed a little bit (evil needle hair...grrr!) I, too, have to sweep everyday. What are you feeding Patch right now?
Patch is on California Natural, which is supposed to be a great food.
I rotate this with Innova.

do you think it has to do with diet?

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
There is absolutely nothing you can do to stop your dog from shedding. Humans shed dead skin & dead hair & so does your dog. It's just one of those things you chose to deal with when owning a dog. EVERY breed of dog sheds (despite some byb's telling you otherwise on how their mixed breed Peke-a-poos & all that crap don't shed....it's just not as much).

However, daily brushings outside (be sure to go against the growth direction as well) will help.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Patch said:
Leeann.Bella.Remy said:
My dogs are on very high quality kibble and supplements, and they still shed a little bit (evil needle hair...grrr!) I, too, have to sweep everyday. What are you feeding Patch right now?
Patch is on California Natural, which is supposed to be a great food.
I rotate this with Innova.

do you think it has to do with diet?
Those are both really great foods, so I doubt his shedding is related to that, unless he is allergic to any of the ingredients. My dogs stopped shedding so much when I switched them from Diamond Lamb and Rice to Timberwolf Organics. I think Diamond was just too grain heavy for them. Try supplementing Patch with human grade fish oil. The omega 3 oil in that might help with the excessive shedding.

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
Orson eats DVP and takes fish oil, primrose oil, vitamin e...
and he STILL sheds like crazy!
I should brush him EVERYDAY (cause that would help), but
it is hard to find time to do that.

At least with my sheepdog, her hair would just go "dust bunny" and
all i had to do was pick them up, but bully hairs stay where they land...
like velcro on carpet.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
OrsonDogge said:
At least with my sheepdog, her hair would just go "dust bunny" and
all i had to do was pick them up, but bully hairs stay where they land...
like velcro on carpet.
Yeah, I hate that. Even our vacuum doesn't always pick up the hairs on the couch or carpet. I'm so glad we have wood laminate flooring in the living room. I'd go nuts vacuuming all the time!!

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
look, there's no way i'd get rid of him just because he sheds!
i love him!

i just wanted to know if i could make my life a bit easier....

we've got tiles downstairs, but maybe i should remove the rug (which the hair just sticks to!!!!!)
but it's just too cold without the rug!

im going to try some of those furminator products!
found a place in sydney that sells them.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Besides the supplement and food suggestions you could try brushing him daily outside with a "shedding tool". You can get this at Petco. When you brush them with this the hair will come off in sheets. You will be amazed at the amount of hair coming off. This will surely help the amount being left in the house. Here's a link to a picture of it.

http://www.petco.com/Assets/product_images/6/618940650096B.jpg

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
bearsmom said:
Besides the supplement and food suggestions you could try brushing him daily outside with a "shedding tool". You can get this at Petco. When you brush them with this the hair will come off in sheets. You will be amazed at the amount of hair coming off. This will surely help the amount being left in the house. Here's a link to a picture of it.

I loved the shedding tool until I tried the furminator! I know the name is really corny but I will never use another brush again. We used it on our clinic cat (a DSH) and you could have built a life size VW with the hair that we got off one little ole' cat! It is amazing. I didn't have a chance to try it on Sugar, but I am sure it will work on her if it works on Labs! You really should try it!

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I was just thinking about this on the way home:

Now it sounds like he is just sheding because he is a dog, but I wanted to remind you that just because he is on a good food, doesnt mean it will agree with his body. just something to possibly think about. but if that is the case there would be other signs such as his poo not being firm and small

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
SugarBear said:
I soooooo love this thing! We started selling them at the clinic and everyone raves about them! Try it!!

http://www.furminator.com/
HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!!!!!!

That is the product we use at my grooming salon and I advised everyone here to buy in another thread.
This is a great tool, stops about 80% of shedding due to the fact that it removes the dead hair before it comes out itself.
I think there's a video of someone using it on the site, watch how much hair comes out.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
bearsmom said:

i've got one of these.... it does remove heaps of hair... but still heaps in the house!!

;)

going to try the furminator!

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Kate said:
I was just thinking about this on the way home:

Now it sounds like he is just sheding because he is a dog, but I wanted to remind you that just because he is on a good food, doesnt mean it will agree with his body. just something to possibly think about. but if that is the case there would be other signs such as his poo not being firm and small
everything else is fine. his poop is great :lol: nice and dark and firm! and not too smelly!
i'm pretty sure he's doing well on the food.

except the hair

anyways, im buying furminator on saturday.... and i've started putting omega fish oil in his food once a day!

fingers crossed!

·
Registered
123 Posts
shedding...

i'm glad i'm not the only one who can't stand the shedding! then again, i think i shed my hair more than my puppy (shower drain) - haha....

trouble does not like brushing too much.... i still try though...

i also put veggie oil in his dry food everyday -- that helps make his coat nice and shiny....

anyone else do that?

Anne-Marie

1 - 20 of 38 Posts