Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Agent Squint
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to use a step ladder, then climb another 10' straddling the trunk of the tree before I reached a branch...Yeah, my arms and legs are now scratched and black & blue somewhat and my chest is sore...but it was a good work out. I got up there and straddled the fork in the tree where I was mounting the parts. After I was up there, I had Lindsay throw the rope up to me. I then lowered half of it back down to her. She tied the drill/extension cord to it and I hoisted it back up. As I was drilling the hole in the branch, she tied the eye hook, the garage door spring, and the pulley to the rope and I hoisted them up. I used a screwdriver (for leverage) to screw the eye hook in to the tree branch, hung the pulley from the eye hook and ran the rock climbing rope through the pulley. I lowered all the tools back down to Lindsay, climbed out of the fork in the tree and shimmeyed my way 20' back down the tree.

So, we bring Messiah out first, thinking he's the most energetic and will enjoy it the most. He starts pulling on it and I'm holding the other end of the rope...playing tug-of-war. It's going well. His front feet are off the ground and he's still pulling...and then he lets go and the spring recoils, makes a loud sound, and the toy/rope spring up and hit the tree and fly all around. It startled him, but I got him to tug on the toy/rope again. We did this about three times, but every time he lets go, the reaction of the spring/rope/toy startles him. So, now he's tired and sceptical and done for the day.

Then, I bring out Montana (about a month pregnant remember). She has a blast! She's pulling and growling and pulling and growling....lets go and the same thing happens with the recoil, etc. But, it doesn't really bother her. So, we did this a few more times until she gets tired and done for the day.

NOW WE DECIDE/THINK TO GET THE DANG CAMERA! :?

Now, it's Mosley's turn ( older, more laid back and calm...doesn't play as much as the other two). Well, he also had a blast! He also wasn't bothered by the recoil when he had to let go. He just kept going back at it until he got tired...after about 5 times on the toy/rope. He was loving it until he tired out.

So, anyway, they all enjoyed it to certain extents. None of them were hanging from it yet, just playing tug-of-war with me. But, I did get about 4 photos of Mosley doing it...they're at home. I'll get them on this thread this evening. I put it under photos b/c I plan on adding lots of them soon. So, be patient for the photo documentation, it's coming.

~S

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Um yeah, I'm waiting :)

·
Agent Squint
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, I got TWO good ones so far. I thought there were more, but they were blurry. I'll post more soon.

Mosley, getting wound up on the toy (yes, that's me doing the winding :) ):

Mosley getting his first shot on it. He actually did pretty well, as hopefully I'll show soon:

ENJOY!

~Shawn

·
Registered
62 Posts
springpoles..

springpoles are great for the dogs. mine love theres as soon as they get a good taste for it you will have trouble getting them off. i have one that will go over ten feet up the tree to get it. good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Re: springpoles..

DK's said:
springpoles are great for the dogs. mine love theres as soon as they get a good taste for it you will have trouble getting them off. i have one that will go over ten feet up the tree to get it. good luck and have fun.
i saw that picture :shock: crazy, just crazy :shock:

·
Agent Squint
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: springpoles..

DK's said:
Out of curiousity, what do you use to get their attention, attached to the rope? I'll take more photos of the whole thing. It's hooked up to a tree in my back yard w/ an elbow on a main branch. It's probably about 20' up in the air...

·
Agent Squint
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Photos OF the spring pole contraption and more of Mosley

You have to look closely in the first photo to see the parts.

I didn't think Montana was up to it, or should, due to her pregnancy. And, Messiah was too preoccupied with EVERYTHING else to pay attention to me, because he had just gotten out of his cage for the day.

Enjoy.

~S

·
Registered
62 Posts
spring pole

i am no expert by any means but the one thing i noticed with my dogs that when they feel the spring pulling back that is when it is on and they go crazy for it i usually start them so it is very easy for them to pull on it so there front feet are only about 1 foot of the ground this way they really get a good fight going with the spring once they have gotten a good taste for it then it can be raised. I actually think that the best workout for them is when it is low because they are using body muscles as they pull against the spring rather than just head neck and maybe some shoulder muscles they use when hanging... but it sure is cool watching them get up there when it is higher. hope this helps some, have fun....

"Leaping Lucy"

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Nice setup amo! You climbed that tree?!?! DK those are great pics too. My dog seems to be developing his bite enough to hold the bait like that when we play tug....but he is not interested in my crappy, small, low spring pole (no big trees). :(

·
Agent Squint
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cannon said:
Nice setup amo! You climbed that tree?!?! DK those are great pics too. My dog seems to be developing his bite enough to hold the bait like that when we play tug....but he is not interested in my crappy, small, low spring pole (no big trees). :(

Yeah...I climbed that tree... It sucked. I put a step ladder up to get a start, then lumberjacked it the rest of the way. I was scraped and black-and-blue afterward, but it was a good work out. I was nervous up there drilling and screwing, etc. too. I wish I would have had someone take pictures of the installation...

·
Agent Squint
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Some more of Mosley on the Spring Pole

...And even a couple of Messiah.

I still haven't gotten him to hang from it. I think he's just too big (#80)

~S

1 - 13 of 13 Posts