Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well today was the first time i watched this show, of the trainer Cesar. Never seen it always hear of him though thorugh boards,people etc.
So here is my VIEW on it. "The Dog Whisperer"
I DO like that he empasis that thew handler should control everything. The owner controls, when love is given,how,why,timing. I like that he believes the owners should be in control which they always should be. I also like that he believes the dog should do soemthing for Affection. Not just get it all the time for nothing and in some cases for acting bad which some handler dont relize the dogs are being bad and being rewarded for it.
I DONT like that he teaches "control" so dogs can all eat together. He had like 6 dogs all eating together, putting his face up at their bowl and teaching "shh" as a command for control? this doesnt make sense to me, nor do i believe it works.
All in all, the show wasnt a big waste of time, dont think id watch it again though. I can however see how some people do learn from some things on there. I just found that he looks like a genus because most of those owners have no clue! :oops:

Wondering if anybody has had simular problems with their dogs and used HIS methods and if it worked? And if so for how long?

·
Registered
576 Posts
His method worked like a magic wand for me with the vacuum cleaner lmao. There was an episode on with that very problem. When the dog starts to come to the vacuum to bark you stand in between the dog and the vacuum to show the dog that you "own" the vacuum. I did this a few times giving the shh when she would start to come close or bark. Then when she would try to come near it all I would have to do is look at her and point and she would walk away. So for that it worked great!!

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess im just a bit different i WANT my dogs to go up to everything. I want Intensity, i dont mind if my dogs bite for ex fire trucks, vacumms etc.. Its shows they dont care and arent scared. But i do expect them when i say Stop they do it with no hesitatation. I dont get mad at my dogs jumping up etc.. i guess i am training for different things, so maybe thats a different story

·
Registered
594 Posts
LokersPadokers said:
His method worked like a magic wand for me with the vacuum cleaner lmao. There was an episode on with that very problem. When the dog starts to come to the vacuum to bark you stand in between the dog and the vacuum to show the dog that you "own" the vacuum. I did this a few times giving the shh when she would start to come close or bark. Then when she would try to come near it all I would have to do is look at her and point and she would walk away. So for that it worked great!!
I saw that episode too. It was a problem with the blowdryer and the vacuum. LOL Glad it worked!

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
His episodes/book helped me achieve "the walk". I can now walk Abby with her peacefully trotting beside me. Where as before, I thought my arm was going to fall off and she would lunge in front of me. I like all his techniques though, I don't agree with all of them and don't think I could try all of them without getting hurt LOL, but I think he's great trainer and plus that fact that he likes bullies especially.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I've never used any of his methods, although I am one of the minority who feeds their dogs together. My dogs can all play with toys, eat bones, get treat, etc....while together. I do believe a lot of it has to do with attitude/alpha status. Now I don't let them do this unsupervised or if say my mom is watching them. Only with me and my husband.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
care said:
I am one of the minority who feeds their dogs together. My dogs can all play with toys, eat bones, get treat, etc....while together. I do believe a lot of it has to do with attitude/alpha status. Now I don't let them do this unsupervised or if say my mom is watching them. Only with me and my husband.
Ditto !!! I guess I'm a minority too LOL

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
I have never been impressed by anything that he says it all seems to be the same stuff you can read on the net or in a book.......Plus it never shows or at least i have never seen him actually working with the dog b/c not every dog will submit in the 5 mintunes that he spends on his show...I want to see the real work ....Not the I am Cesar I walked in gave your dog two commands and now he is acting like a perfect gentle man...... My dog would looka t him and say ok now show me that YOU are the boss LOL, I love the old quote "If you start thinking that you are of some great importance, go to someone elses house and try to tell their dog what to do!!!!!!!"

·
Registered
451 Posts
I've still never seen him on TV, but I did pick up his book, the one everyone on here was talking about. So far, it makes sense (most of it) as far as how to be the leader. I also like that he emphasizes excercise first, then affection and to not immediately give a dog you're meeting for the first time affection. The idea of having 40 dogs all eating together makes me cringe, though. But, I suppose it works for him, whatever it is he's doing.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I DONT like that he teaches "control" so dogs can all eat together. He had like 6 dogs all eating together, putting his face up at their bowl and teaching "shh" as a command for control? this doesnt make sense to me, nor do i believe it works.
His dogs never eat together unsupervised.

If you are going to have two dogs and let them interact why can't you put the time into making them eat together peacefully? I know most people don't believe in it but if you practice with your dogs and let them know what is acceptable then you will have zero problems.

If you chose not to do it then so be it but don't discount it because you don't want to spend the time to make it happen.

I know why Lisa keeps her dogs seperated and that is fine. To each their own but don't discount it :)

Dozer and Lucy eat within 2 feet of one another. They also share toys. One of the bonding activities that I know most of you will think is absolutely CRAZY is that I take a long tube type rawhide bone(my dogs only get rawhide while I supervise), and I let them both chew on it at the same time at different ends with my hand holding onto the bone in the middle. If one of them tries to take the bone then I make both of them submit prior to either getting to chew on the bone again. No physical contact needed.

I am making sure my dogs understand that nothing in the house is theirs. My dogs own nothing and have nothing to get territorial with. If either shows behavior of owning something then I take it away until they submit. Lucy has the whole thing down now.

Something else to add. My wife thinks I am some "dog whisperer" also. I hate to break it to people but your body language gives so much away to your dog. My wife who admitedly has lower self esteem has one heck of a time getting Lucy to do things. Why? Because she isn't assentive all the time and second, when Lucy doesn't listen, my wife gets frustrated and Lucy can read that.

It isn't that Lucy does bad things with my wife but I expect my wife to be just as consistent with Lucy as I am. That means that Lucy's nose is not allowed to get 1mm in front of us.

It tooks a while for my wife to understand that when Lucy doesn't follow her direction that I am not going to get upset with Lucy, it is my wife's job to ensure Lucy behaves.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Jleonar said:
If you are going to have two dogs and let them interact why can't you put the time into making them eat together peacefully? I know most people don't believe in it but if you practice with your dogs and let them know what is acceptable then you will have zero problems.

If you chose not to do it then so be it but don't discount it because you don't want to spend the time to make it happen.

I know why Lisa keeps her dogs seperated and that is fine. To each their own but don't discount it

Dozer and Lucy eat within 2 feet of one another. They also share toys. One of the bonding activities that I know most of you will think is absolutely CRAZY is that I take a long tube type rawhide bone(my dogs only get rawhide while I supervise), and I let them both chew on it at the same time at different ends with my hand holding onto the bone in the middle. If one of them tries to take the bone then I make both of them submit prior to either getting to chew on the bone again. No physical contact needed.
I totally agree. Key word here you need to invest the time and yes they read you loud & Clear. So remaining calm and begining in charge is the way to go.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Cesar Millam

No matter what you think about him or what he does he sheds a positive light on bull breeds and reaches more people than all of us collectively. So IMHO in that respect he is GREAT. I catch his show from time to time and yes there is more to it than what we see on the program. I did see one eppisode where he fed his group together without conflict and yes he was there with them as he should be. So always keep in mind hw is a bull breeds friend and he has the spot light.

·
Registered
92 Posts
jleonar,
You have a female puppy and an even younger male puppy?
What you are describing is not that hard to do with that combination of dogs.
If you had two dominant adult male or two dominant adult female PB's or AB's (especially if they decided they didn't like each other) you might have a little different perspective.

·
Registered
551 Posts
If you are able to teach your dogs to eat and live in harmony with each other then I say go for it. I personally think thats a great thing. If you aren't able to do so and the majority may not then you have to do things another way. I think everyone has a different way of going about training their dogs and it all depends on how the dog and the handler are able to work together to achieve whatever training goals they may have for the dog. Everyone is different.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
tohall said:
jleonar,
If you had two dominant adult male or two dominant adult female PB's or AB's (especially if they decided they didn't like each other) you might have a little different perspective.
AGREED!!!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Lisa said:
tohall said:
jleonar,
AGREED!!!
I believe that what I do can be accomplished regardless of what you suggest. Would it take more patience and time. Absolutely. Is it for everyone? No, but when I own two dogs I am not going to keep them apart when I am around. If you want to keep the dogs apart, more power to you.

Dozer is very dominant. Yeah he is a puppy but I have already realized he is going to be a problem child.

Lucy is 11 months old.

Dozer is 3 months old.

How have things gone? Dozer dominated Lucy the moment he walked in. She allowed it to happen. I have slowing been changing that pack order because I decided I do not want that to be the case.

Lucy is very submissive to me and other dogs. I have required that of her and she was willing to give that up. She was never overly dominate but that is also because I required her to be submissive from day 1.

With Dozer, I required him to be submissive to my wife and I but I did not require submision to Lucy. I let them figure that out on their own. Looking back I should not have been suprised when Lucy up and submitted to a 10lb dog. I have expected her to do that with all dogs especially with confronted with aggression.

So the first 2 weeks I let Dozer dominate Lucy. It was a mistake because Lucy can teach him so much and make my life easier.

Last week I decided that things would be easier if Lucy was above him in the pack order. It has already started having a good effect on Dozer. He seems more comfortable. I don't think he wanted to be dominate over Lucy but she just let it happen.

It hasn't completely changed around because he still pushes his boundaries but it is getting better.

Here is what I have done. Lucy gets to start eating first and he gets to start as soon as he lays down for me. He usually still finishes eating prior to Lucy. He is no longer allowed to push Lucy away from the water bowl. Lucy would step away from the bowl if he wanted water. Now I moderate the action. The moment he starts to move Lucy away, I don't let him.

When we walk on a leash, my wife walks in front of me with Lucy and I make him walk behind me. I put him in the back. Lucy has started picking up on the idea that Dozer is to be last in the pack. She doesn't lay down for him like she used to. That also means he can't just dominate her like he used to because he isn't big enough to pull it off.

The other reason Dozer is getting moved to the back of the pack is because of his dislike of other dogs trying to dominate him. He has been exposed to other dogs that Lucy plays with. He will snap at other dogs that try to dominate. This isn't dangerous in this situation but if happened to ever escape he would be the dog that could easily end up in a fight if some dog tried to dominate him. That has slowly been working out of his system because at home he isn't the dominate one anymore. I have also been using that as good socialization and correctly him when he acts aggressive.

In other words, Dozer is catching on pretty quick eventhough he is about as thick headed as they come.

·
Registered
451 Posts
jleonar I have a question. I am really confused as to why you wouldn't let the dogs create their own pecking order. Why would you try to put Lucy in a higher position when she's already been submissive to your dominant male?? :? Sorry, I really don't understand this.

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
Jleonar,
Your dog shouldn't be trying to dominate your other dog in your pack. There shouldn't be a hiearchy in your pack. If YOU are the pack leader, each dog would remain second. So it would be 1st you, 2nd dogs. Not 1st you, 2nd Lucy, 3rd Dozer. Luzy and Dozer should always remain on the same level and you always be above them. But it's something you have to work on as all dogs will try to creat hiearchies within the pack, it's just normal. But this can in the end, create a fight.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I hate to break it to you but there is always a pecking order in a pack. It doesn't have to be taken violently or by force.

If your dogs live together peacefully then give this a try. See which dog will drink water first when there is only one bowl. See who eats first when there is only one bowl. Until recently Lucy would walk away if Dozer wanted water.

There is always going to be an order between the dogs, the difference is that I get to choose that. How did Dozer become dominate? He walked in the house and Lucy rolled on her back for him and I let it happen. The little bugger immediately got on top and started humping. All that at 8 weeks old. 11lbs versus 45lbs.

No dogs are higher in the pack order than me or my wife. I also don't allow any aggression between the dogs. Lucy is never aggressive but Dozer has been. He is like a little bulldozer when Lucy in the past has tried to put in on his back. He pops up and runs right at her snapping his jaw. I do not allow that. It is unacceptable and it will take time for me to erradicate the behavior. He is by all means a puppy.

As to why I want Lucy to be higher in the pack. She is already submissive. I never have to worry about her starting a fight with a dog over who is the dominate dog. I never expect that situation to really come up but I would rather be safe than sorry.

In the end, I run the house and I want the calmer and more submissive dog to be the example for Dozer. He has some dominance issues and the best way for me to deal with them is to make him submissive to Lucy. He is already submissive to me because I control his toys, food, and water.

The really interesting experience will be this weekend when I am dog sitting for a friend of mine. Lucy and Dante like to romp around but Dozer has never meant Dante. I will be keeping them both on a leash when they interact. At this point all Dante would have to do is put his paw on Dozer and he would start snapping at him. Like I said, Dozer is a work in progress. He is one of the more dominate dogs I have seen or dealt with in my life. The only dog I have seen worse than him was an APBT in an obediance class. The dog was 16 weeks old and was looking to kill other dogs. She got Lucy once on the face and I hate to break it up. I hate to think about how that dog ended up because the owner was totally inexperienced with bulldogs.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.