Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First a big thank you to all who advised me....we now have a gorgeous 9 1/2 week old Staffie called Bailey. Hes brown brindle and white. Has 4 little white socks!
We are all besotted with him already.
Having a few teething problems...literally! He keeps biting...really hard too..not just nips, my arms are covered in teeth marks, bruises, and cuts! Trying the time out method at the moment cos the kids are geting scared.

·
Registered
17 Posts
4chins said:
First a big thank you to all who advised me....we now have a gorgeous 9 1/2 week old Staffie called Bailey. Hes brown brindle and white. Has 4 little white socks!
We are all besotted with him already.
Having a few teething problems...literally! He keeps biting...really hard too..not just nips, my arms are covered in teeth marks, bruises, and cuts! Trying the time out method at the moment cos the kids are geting scared.
Hallo.My name is Ariana and we had the same problem a week ago, when we get our pup.Now he is really good with this.He is still biting, but not like a week ago.The first day I was soooo upset with him, he was uncotrolable :shock: . I bought very good book and it's some tecnics wich is really working.
I send to you some stuff from this book.Hope it would help :wink:

Nipping is quite a common complaint that is particularly prevalent in, but not limited to, puppies. I believe the best thing that you can do is to encourage acceptable behavior and discourage the unacceptable behavior. The following bullet points outline some techniques that you can use.
□ Take the focus away from your hands when you pet him. Do this by offering him a chew bone or similar when you go to pet him. Pet your dog behind the ears with one hand while offering the treat with the other. Pet him for short periods of time at the beginning, as you do not want to overexcite him. This technique will help him form a positive association with petting.
□ Try wearing gloves coated with a foul tasting substance. You should be able to buy some specific puppy “aversion” substances from your vet or pet store. The drawback with this method is that you must have the gloves on every time he tries to bite and he may form the negative association with the gloves rather than the hands.
□ If you are sure that he will not bite you too hard then you can discourage the biting by loosely holding your puppy’s lower jaw between your thumb and forefinger after he has taken your hand in his mouth. Do not hurt him by squeezing too hard, just gently hang on so that wherever his mouth goes your hand goes too. I hope that this will quickly become tiresome for him and he will try to pull away. After ten seconds of him trying to pull away, release his jaw and continue to offer your hand. If your puppy licks it or ignores it then praise him immediately. If he tries to bite your hand again then repeat the exercise.
□ It is important to teach your puppy that biting turns off any social interaction and attention that you may be giving him. When he nips you, look him in the eye and yell “Ouch” or “Arghh”, then ignore him. Leave your puppy until he has calmed down.
□ Make sure that you do not slap or hit your puppy in the face for nipping as this action is almost guaranteed to backfire. He may think that you are playing and get more excited, he might respond in a defensive manner or he may just become afraid of you.
□ Also, never play tug of war games with your puppy if you are having nipping problems. This will just encourage out of control behavior.
□ A word of warning: Be careful with young children practicing this kind of behavior modification. A child’s first reaction to being bitten is to push the puppy away with their hands. Your puppy is likely to interpret that action as being play, which in turn causes the puppy to nip more.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
CC did the same thing every time he bites say ouch really loud and stuff a toy in his mouth. it worked for me . if you stub your toe and say ouch she runs an gets a toy and rubs on your leg. btw he is too cute!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Very cute....
It he had´nt biting-escapements????????? - i dont know if it is the correct translation from german in english?!?!?!? ...some whelps have this...and tho whelps will be learn in futures.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bailey

Thanks...bailey will be big headed soon, all those compliments.
We will try what you said Ariana...thank you for that.
Walking away doesnt seem to help, he just chases you and bites whatever he can reach, feet, legs..and hands in the kids case.
Cant wait till he grows out of it. Will be nice to be able to fuss him without having your hand bitten!
Feel awful telling him off..he sits there and gives you the 'eyes' and i just melt!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Bailey is so cute. I own a 1 year old staffie who is black, brindle and white. Their white markings are in the same place. Unfortunatley I didnt know Angel as a puppy ive only had her 14 weeks

·
Registered
101 Posts
nice looking puppy. very nice markings. mines 12 weeks and was giving me the odd nip. they calm down after a few tellings off. time outs work well. they really are smart dogs. it just takes a little time. very rewarding animals :D

·
Agent Squint
4,225 Posts
Aww, looks just like my Marlee :) How much does he weigh? I'm thinking Marlee maybe younger then I was told. He's a be handsome boy :)

I have a 16mth old human baby, Marlee has nipped a few times, but a stern no and she stops, I may try keepin her on the leash when he is around, so I can easily correct the puppy. You have to be firm but calm...don't take any nonsense. Puppy classes will help.

Edit: nearly forgot, use a toy to distract the pup from biting you.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Wow, cannon, just realized how LONG your dogs tongue is!!Lol! he looks like he could lick the skin off of your face.
Thats a cool pic.

And welcome!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
bailey

well, Bailey is much better now...with me anyway!!
He had his 2nd jabs on monday, and was microchipped too...although my daughter keeps telling everyone Bailey was microwaved!! she is only 4!
CAnt wait to take him out and show him off!! So gorgeous! Proud mummy here!
He weighed in a t5kg...i think that is about right hes 11 weeks old?

·
Agent Squint
4,225 Posts
Re: bailey

4chins said:
well, Bailey is much better now...with me anyway!!
He had his 2nd jabs on monday, and was microchipped too...although my daughter keeps telling everyone Bailey was microwaved!! she is only 4!
CAnt wait to take him out and show him off!! So gorgeous! Proud mummy here!
He weighed in a t5kg...i think that is about right hes 11 weeks old?
sounds about right, marlee was 3kg at 9weeks im hoping on her appoint, she will wiegh twice that, she will be 12 weeks then :)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Beautiful looking puppy I bet you can't wait to take him out and show him off. I have a staffy girl about the same age. I have to wait 2 more weeks before I can take Yemi out to show her off (bit late with injections) I am soooo excited :D
. She does have a tendency to chew your hand a bit, we have just constantly said no when she does it and stop petting her for about 30 seconds then pet her again stopping the min she starts to chew you. She is really getting the message now thank heavens.
But can't Staffies sulk :lol: I have never seen a dog sulk like her, she forgives you quick enough though :lol:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts