Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:? Hey yall, I am new to this board. I have an adorable 14 week old American Bulldog (Zack). Boy is he a handfull, but what can I say, that is all my little boy wanted for christmas. (I am such a sucker) The thing is, I also have a 2 year old Boxer (Beaux). Well, lately I have had a few people tell me this may be a problem as time goes on. That one day they might begin to fight. (that is a very scary thought) So, I know some of you have to have more than one dog, right? Please give me some advice here. I have been searching on the internet to find out more about having 2 bully breed male dogs. (I was told today Boxers are a bully breed too? :?: ) Any way, both of my boys get along wonderful now. They play all of the time. Beaux is such a sweet dog, has never had any aggression issues before. Zack my new AB so far has not had any either. I have read at least 100 time to socialize him well and I have been doing that. I am so glad I found a sight that deals with AB!!! Nice to have some advice other than what you can read on line. I am a member of Boxer World and it has been a wonderful help during the past 2 years anytime I had a question about Beaux. Now I have a place for the questions about Zack. Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
It will more than likely not work out. Be prepared to crate and rotate both dogs as they get older. Did the breeder of your AB not warn you against this situation??? :-k

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, the breeder we got the puppy from did not think it would be a problem at all. He said Zack would grow up with Beaux and know he would always know Beaux was here first. He had 2 AB and has never had any problems with them. They were both very sweet dogs. Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
coco said:
He said Zack would grow up with Beaux and know he would always know Beaux was here first.
Wow...that's a pretty ignornant/misinformed thing for the breeder to think! Just because a puppy grows up around another dog doesn't automatically guarantee that the two dogs will always get along. It's not a guaranteed problem, either. Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
bella_blue said:
coco said:
He said Zack would grow up with Beaux and know he would always know Beaux was here first.
Wow...that's a pretty ignornant/misinformed thing for the breeder to think! Just because a puppy grows up around another dog doesn't automatically guarantee that the two dogs will always get along. It's not a guaranteed problem, either. Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.
I agree. I can not believe a breeder of American Bulldogs would tell someone that. Who is the breeder? My guess is he/she hasn't been in the breed very long or maybe he/she just wanted to sell a puppy? Were there no females avaliable?

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello Again, yes there was a femal and she was beautiful!! But I was out voted by my son and husband, they wanted a male. My husband has always had american bulldogs growing up and his uncle still has 3 (2 AB and 1 Choclate Lab). My husband had 2 males and never had any problems, so I guess he thinks all dogs would be that way. They had both passed by the time we got married and he has been wanting another one for 9 years!! But I was always scared, with having young kids. So at christmas he talked me into it, with some help from my son. My little boy loves to go to his uncles and play with his AB! (ARRRR!! I am so mad for listening to him, now I am a nervous wreck :x !!) What age should I start watching for things to change. Like I said he is only 14 weeks and growing fast! Thanks again for all of yall's help! Any advice on what to do now???????

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
i lived with a boxer and ambull together uncrated and they were fine, however it was a female ambull and male boxer.

Currently I live with 2 male un-neutered dogs and they get along great as they were around each other since puppyhood and I have also been around them 24/7 to curb any dominance issues. It is completely possible to control aggression and behavioural problems of any degree with the proper training and handling. With my new ambull puppy, I made him scared to be dominant with the other dog, even tho they do it playfully. A little bit of tough love goes a long way in this situation...... if my ambull was pinning and growling at the other male (he does this in a playful way and has never tried to bite the other guy, but he used to get carried away) what I would do is grab him, pull him off, give him a smack to snap him out of it (or, grab him by the scruff of the neck and give him a good shake - this is what their mothers do when they are young to keep them in line), then grab him by the sides of his face and start yelling at him and just scare the shit out of him. Trust me this is necessary to curb any aggressive tendencies...you have to dominate your ambull! Be the one in charge always and never let the pup get away with any sort of dominant attitude. Do this and you may stand a chance of owning 2 dominant male dog breeds in one house. My ambull never tries to dominate the other dog now, but I had to be consistent in my handling of him in order to achieve this!

I must also say that in my situation, I live with the girlfriend's male german short haired pointer who is 8 months old while my american bulldog is 6 months.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I think it is ignorant to tell you those things, it depense on how dominant your AB is. Now he is just a puppy but he will grow mental. If he is an Alpha he will start trouble when he will be about one year, it doesn't matter who was first.
I wish you the best, but prepare for the worst.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
PS: Coco, an after-thought - if you are able to get the dogs to live together peacefully, you really have to watch the youngest one when he hits 2 yrs of age. This is the time when male dogs will usually challenge the leader of the pack for supremacy. You will have to use extra diligence in this time to make sure no fights break out. If a fight does break out, it is possible to prevent it from happening again, but most people would be in shock at methods to curb aggression at that point. Speak to an experienced dog trainer, it is probably your best bet instead of looking for solid answers on here. Wish you the best! It's good that you're looking for solutions before anything happens :)

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
I agree with everyone else here, I just wanted to add. Never leave your two alone!!!! If you aren't in the room, have them in crates or separate rooms!

·
Registered
790 Posts
wow.....I can see that a trainer will become rich.

It depends on how dominant your AB will become. Trust me. It will happen. It is not a question of if. It is a question of when.

First off, I would get both of them neutered, or at least one of them.

Second, if this is a real AB, there is no way it will not try to be the top dog. YOU are the alpha. just below you is them. Sometimes females will get along. However, I have never seen an AB, properly bred, not try to be the boss.

Seriously, this is not a good situation.

Personally, I would get rid of one, unless you are willing to spend a lot of time doing obedience.
Otherwise, invest in some insurance for your dogs. You are going to have some vet bills.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I would talk to a trainer. Try to find one that not only has the credentials, but experience with bully breeds, and good word of mouth. They can help you with all of the questions you have.

I would try not be scared away from trying to work it out. And please don't regret you're situation so soon. You don't even know if there will be a problem yet, and there are solutions.

·
Banned
3,926 Posts
Care said:
I would talk to a trainer. Try to find one that not only has the credentials, but experience with bully breeds, and good word of mouth. They can help you with all of the questions you have.

I would try not be scared away from trying to work it out. And please don't regret you're situation so soon. You don't even know if there will be a problem yet, and there are solutions.
WELL SAID THIS COULD NOT EVERN BE A PROBLEM NOT 100%

ANYWAY make sure you get the little one trannig and take your son with uto the training courses the more family memebers the better boxers are a bully breed yes but dont tend to be overly agressive just work with them this will be fine dont panice your not the first person in the world that has 2 males in a home at once ! :wink: sure keep your eyes open for signs of agression but dont wait for it dogs can sence when things are at a uneas around the house ! dont worrie till theres a real reason to worse case the first fight that will happen will tend to be a littel one this is where they see whos who test if you will and if this happens then crate and rotate or remove one dog all together but will thaining and a close watch i thinks thing will be fine ....

WOW guys try to give this poor woman a heartattack .... :wink: inform her ya but chill on the YOUR DOGS WILL!!! KILL EACHOTHER SOON !!!!!!!!! :shock: wtf ... :lol: [-( IMHO

·
Registered
790 Posts
good luck.

Coco. Please let me know in the future if I am wrong. I have seen this MANY times, PERSONALLY. I am not guessing here. Why are people sugar coating and being so non shalant, I don't understand.

Couple of things will happen FOR SURE.

1) they will get into a fight. there will be some vet bills. one of the dogs loses and decides it is better to be the subordinate male.
shocking, yes. However, it is nature's way. Now, like I said before, it depends on how REALLY bully your dogs are. Many bullys will fight to the death. So, that is what is real........not just "oh it is going to be ok."

2) before this happens, you become a better trainer through OB lessons focused directly on preventing this from happening with a qualified trainer. YOU clearly establish that you are the ALPHA and clearly show the dogs that YOU ARE THE HAD OF GOD. If they fight or even growl at eachother, very bad things happen. It is not worth fighting. In my opinion, this cannot be done with a little clicker. The earlier you start, the better. It will cost you big bucks for training. One client of mine, paid over 2000 dollars for 2 months training. Even then, it was very tense. You will always have to "set rank". It is tedious and stressful. THOSE ARE FACTS.

3) best case scenario, what everyone is hoping for, is they just get along. The pup realizes the older boxer will always be the alpha. In this case, I would DEFINITELY neuter your AB pup early before the age of 1. Better yet, neuter both of them. This would greatly increase your chances for a happy healthy home.

so, let me know how it works out.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Why are people sugar coating and being so non shalant, I don't understand.
I agree. Dog aggression and bull breeds is not something that should be taken lightly, yet it seems alot of people think it's "no big deal". Besides, am I the only one who has noticed that people coming on this forum telling stories about their dogs who have been injured in fights is becoming more frequent? In fact, I beleive there was one posted in this past week. When are people going to learn? :-k

·
Registered
2,849 Posts

I as well have 5 American Bulldogs, and i think rotation is the SAFEST route. I have 2 males and one is very goofy but they are almost 2 and one is only 7 months and i have started to seperate them to make sure nothing happens because they are getting older.I have a female that actually HATES other abs and actually tried to fight one between their fence.She cant be around any dogs. So...dog agression is AB's can be common but not all are.I rotate to be safe.
Congrats on your new addition to your family.My American Bulldogs are the best things that ever happened to me. I have had other breeds and this is the best by far!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, thanks again for the replies. I know I need to be prepared, just in case anything may happen one day. I don't think I am ready to just give up though. I have been in touch with a local trainer and we are going to start obedience training. It is the same trainer I used with Beaux. Beaux (boxer) is fixed and very dog friendly, he gets along with all other dogs. He is so laid back and lazy (not like you typical Boxer, some times I wonder where he came from) So far Zack (ab) has not shown any signs of aggression, but I guess he could always start. We are going to have him nutered. He knows basic commands, sit, stay, down, rollover, come sometimes we are still working with that, and knows how to take a treat "easy" and has not been aggressive with toys, treats, bones or food. I bring him around as many other dogs as I can, so far he loves to play with all of them. When we are not in the same room as them he goes to his crate. Right now they know I am the Alpha around here, just will have to make it a point to keep it that way.

Thanks again for all of your replies, they have been of much help. I know there is a chance thing could go all wrong, but I am very happy to know that it could work out.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
That's good that your dogs know you're the Alpha, that's the first step. We have had APBTs and ABs for going on 13 years, and we've always had at least 2 females in the home. Sadie and Spooky had some snarls and snaps at each other when they were younger (2-5) and 1 fight. They were together over 10 years. After the fight my husband picked Sadie up and shook her a bit, he mostly scared her with his voice. Over the course there had been snips between them, but nothing major. Our trainer says that if a fight breaks out and you yell NO and your dogs stop, that's the way it should be. You are the alpha, they listen to you above all of their other instincts. This doesn't happen will all dogs. It does with ours. Obviously fights will happen. That's why you never leave them alone unsupervised, and they should be altered. But usually dogs with good training and sound temperment will distingish the order in the pack themselves. They will usually work it out. Although being bullies sometimes you get 2 dogs who both want to be top dog. Then worse case you would have to crate and rotate. This is just my guess, but I would think that when your AB gets mature he will be above the boxer, you'll never know till your pup matures.

Also make sure your trainer prepares you for worst case scenario. You need to learn what to do and not to do if this happens. It is a ongoing process and takes a lot of time and energy training your dogs, but it is worth it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts