Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have never had a pure breed. Im getting an english bulldog and I really dont know what I need to get for her like...
The Bed, what type of Brush, Toy's whats safe, a Crate (one that will last), I know about food, um what else oh Treats, And classes.
Can anyone help me I feel like a new Mommy all over again!

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Hello, welcome

If you go to our Health section there is a sticky of GOOD foods for your dog, BE VERY PICKY!!!!!! Don't just feed food from the pet store, learn the ingredients, there is alot of info in that thread.

Get a crate, probably a small one to begin with or get a life stages one that had dividers in it. You don't want it too big other wise they will go the the bathroom in it.

Most toys will be okay at this age, Kongs are great, you can put treats or kibble in them and seal it with peanut butter and it will last them a while. Or you can freeze yogurt or apple sauce in it.

Anymore questions just ask :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
tjortega said:
Ok so I have never had a pure breed. Im getting an english bulldog and I really dont know what I need to get for her like...
The Bed, what type of Brush, Toy's whats safe, a Crate (one that will last), I know about food, um what else oh Treats, And classes.
Can anyone help me I feel like a new Mommy all over again!
I have a brindle English Bulldog too. For food I've always used Imes. Whatever you choses stick with it and don't switch brands. Otherwise they'll get diareah or throw up.

I use one of those flexible glove mits with short rubber bristles. Since they have short hair, this works best for us and he likes it because it like petting him (the handle brushes he hates).

How old is your English Bulldog? When I got Bullitt he was 7 weeks and I got him a nice little metal grate cage. We've since upgraded two more time until we ended up with the large cage for dogs around 65lbs.

For toys, he's totally spoiled in that area. He likes stuffed squeeky toys. He loves to squeek them... its like his second language
he likes tenis balls but they only last a minute or two. So I got him some tough squeeky rubber balls. ANd then theres the nylabone. He likes rawhides too but he gags on the mucous buildup in his stomach. And he tries to swallow huge chunks of rawhide which is dangerous for choking.

Treats... he love meatybone

training classes can't hurt, but English Bulldogs are so stuborn they don't do very well in them. People will think your dogs stupid in class since it doesn't appear to be learning... but they are really just so stubborn/smart that they are really training you instead.

Show us a picture of your dog once you get her.

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
I wouldn't spend lots of money on a bed for her just yet. Better to wait until she is past the peeing/pooping/chewing stage, or you're just throwing your $$ away. You can get decent blankets cheap at Goodwill and places like that, and those are pretty good for dog crates - easy to wash, and you don't feel too bad if they destroy it. :D

As for food, I like Royal Canin much better than Iams, and lots of others for that matter. There are lots and LOTS of choices out there, and you may go through a few before you find what works for your baby. If the breeder is feeding the Royal Canin, I would stick with that for a while at least. You don't want to switch diets suddenly, or (like ygohome said) she will get an upset tummy. You can switch, but it needs to be a gradual change. If it were me, I would stick with the Royal Canin for a while and see how she does on it. If you don't like the results, you can change it down the road a little bit.

Congratulations on your new baby! I'm sure you're anxious to get her home! When do you get her?

And BTW, welcome to the forum! :D

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Bremner53 said:
If you go to our Health section there is a sticky of GOOD foods for your dog, BE VERY PICKY!!!!!! Don't just feed food from the pet store, learn the ingredients, there is alot of info in that thread.
This is very important especially with English Bullys since they have a tendency to have allergies.

·
Registered
35 Posts
my guy never took to the kong. When filled with peanut butter or other treats he'd give up (out of frustration?). I don't know if it's because of the English Bulldogs short nose and underbite or what.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
WOW

You guys are great!
We will be getting her in June she was born on April 10th so I have 7 weeks to go! I can't wait to get her since my husband has decided that we are done having kids so she will be like having a new baby in the house!!!!!
We are going to name her "Princes Shaylee the Pearl" but for short I think we are going to call her Pearl or Shay!!!
:D I will post some pic as soon as I get her!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts