Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband and I recently added a pit bull/ shar pei (?) mix to our family. Cooper is 5 months old, weighs close to 40 pounds, and currently unaltered, although this will change as soon as he turns 6 months old.

Starting about 5:30am I take Cooper out to pee, feed him and let him play in the back yard while I get ready for work. We take a 20 minute or so walk in the morning before I leave for work then it is back outside while my DH gets ready. Because we both have to work Cooper is spending his days outside. He has a dog house that is in a shady part of the yard. He gets fresh water everymorning, at least it is fresh until he puts his paws in it. We are thinking of adding a plastic kiddie pool for him to splash around in. I let him in as soon as I get home and we take another walk after dinner when it is cooler.

Is it better for him to be outside while we are gone all day so he can get some exercise and relieve himself as needed or should we be keeping him inside until we get home? We hated keeping him kenneled all day because it seemed to make him hyper when we got home and let him out.

What kinds of toys would be best?

·
Registered
288 Posts
This is what I do.

My dog house is in the garage along with an aquarium and the "box." The "box" is where I put the cat when I tire of his company. I chain the dog to my desk when the garage is open. It is long enough to reach the lawn and driveway so she can watch over her "kingdom." Other than that she is free to roam unshackled from the garage to the courtyard through a side door that remains open all day and sometimes at night. The courtyard is walled and contains the pool motor and a dinghy. There is a grass, a water spicket and hibiscus trees. This is where she relieves herself. When I want to show her off, I lock her up on a 20ft chain in the front yard under a massive black olive tree. She likes laying out there and it gives her a different perspective on things, so it's good for her head. She never stays out there long, an hour at most, but she is a swell visual deterrent. She never barks, or hardly ever, and it's usually just one ear-piercing blast. The only time she's in the house is when she cuts through to use the pool area. I use Iverhart heartworm protection (51-100lbs) and K9 Advantix. I feed her Nutro Natural Choice Lamb Meal and Rice, about 2 1/2 cups a day. She enjoys her treats. I like walking her at night in front of the house so everyone knows where Lucy lives. This arrangement works for us and everyone is happy. She is a rescue from the SPCA. I live in south Florida.

sweating it in the glades,

Jackie

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Jackie stop freaking out the new people.

People will tell you to crate your dog, very few will agree with leaving your dog outside due to the possibility of getting stolen. Personally I wouldn't dream of leaving my dogs cooped up all the time, and they love being outdoors. It's all personal preference, whatever works best for YOU and your family.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
112 Posts
leaving your dog out

i would not leave my dog bryn outside he would cry all day doesnt like being left outside on his own :lol: hes like a baby its the way ive brought him up :lol:

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
i wouldn't leave my older dog , let alone a puppy, outside unsupervised all day. he could get bored and try and dig/jump out of the yard eat or be fed something poisonous, or some lovely a-hole could decide to take him cause he is "all alone and lonely" . to me it sounds like your pup has lots of attention, both in the morning and at night, keep him safe in a crate while you are not home

·
Registered
932 Posts
Personally, I think it is fine to leave your pup outside during the day. That's where Patch is while we are at work, and when we're generally not home.

Patch has the whole yard to himself and there are many shady spots for him, including his kennel, the pergola and back verandah. He loves it out there... and also loves being inside when we are home.

Sure, I get worried he will be stolen or might run away, but it's a risk I have to take because there's no way we could leave him alone in the house, and I will not crate him for 8 - 12 hours a day.

I think it's fine, as long as you give him care and attention when you are around.

Patch is digging the yard and chewing the pergola... which is something we are going to have to look at rectifying... but he's a puppy and i suppose it's instinct!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts