Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I posted about the play date Brodie had, Ive been trying to get some more socialization into him, even though he is over a year old. I have realized that I am in a constant panic about him, because of being partially "bully". I FREAK out if he gets loose, Im terrified of him biting someone (though he has never shown that he would) etc, because of all the damn horror stories LOL. I know, you are thinking WHY DID YOU GET HIM THEN?? well, because I felt an intense desire to rescue him from the terrible situation he was in. I really have very little experience with dogs in general, so I ask you guys about this stuff to reassure myself :D

Ok. So, when my friend got out of the car, Brodie and I were already outside, in the driveway. Brodie is rarely on the driveway or out front at all because it isnt fenced, so I thought this might be more neutral for him. I think it was her mistake, but I could be wrong? She immediately went to pet him with both hands, sort of leaning over him. He lunged up and barked at her. Which made her pull her hands back. I pulled on his leash to back him away from her a bit, and she then extended her hand to let him smell her. Shouldnt that have been the first thing she did? Was his reaction to her a bad one? I watched and watched him at the dog park, with people and with dogs. He made almost zero notice of the people in the park. I think he noted them, and then dismissed them. However, the hackles thing? They were up off and on the whole time we were at the park, and I think it was because he was excited? He galloped and played with almost every dog there, even a HUGE dog that was giving him the play bark. At first he didnt know what to think of that, but then he and the dog both kept going into the lunge play stance, and running around in circles. None of these things leads me to believe that he is unconfident? I worry about the dog that turns into the fear biter, and I am probably over obsessive about looking for signs. He is VERY VERY protective. My friend had my daughter Anna in her arms as we were leaving, and was sort of doing a flip, shake her upside down thing, which Anna was laughing her head off. Brodie on the other hand started growling and barking a bit. Not loud, but more sort of like a warning? Anyway . . I really want to have someone who knows more about dogs spend some time with him to tell me he is completely normal so I will quit worrying heheeh.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Manners

I think that it is proper dog manners to greet then pet a dog. It does not sound to me like he is aggressive just needs a kind yet firm hand. Has anyone ever worked with him before? Or is this his 1st home wher manners are required? Take a look at this:
http://www.metrokc.gov/lars/animal/Educate/cassidy/dog/dog5.htm

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the link. I read it, and I really dont think he is showing any of those signs of aggression. He HAS been through some training, but its obvious we have slacked off working with him. He is very treat motivated, and does well when treats are present, but I have trouble getting him to listen sometimes. I know people say to never give a command more than once, but what do you do? When I say "sit", he does it the first time, about 80-85% of the time. If he doesnt do it the first time, I pursue, continuing to badger him until he does what I want. Then I usually make him "stay" for a time, before going back to whatever I was doing. I dont know if that is the right thing or not lol. He knows: sit, stay, down, off, no, and come. Recall is really bad though, he rarely comes to me anymore :( That was obvious at the dog park. He didnt run away from me however, so I was able to go get him when he didnt come to me. Im guessing he (and me) just needs another round of training, and then to stick to doing it every day for a few minutes. Thanks for your comments!

·
Agent Squint
4,225 Posts
Back to training for you guys, and until then keep Brodie on a training leash, it's not good when a dog don't come directly back when called, your teaching your dog bad habits.

Check out mine and Roxy's training link, you might find some of the info helpful :)

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I know I'm not a professional and I haven't had a lot of experience with the bully breed but I wanted you to know that Kate and I have shared the same experience.

It seemed like Kate only liked certain people. Even if they came into the house while she was in her crate and then we eventually let her out, some people she wouldn't like and would keep barking at them. Then on the street here in Rochester, I was talking to a lady and she wanted to pet Kate, she bent down and Kate barked at her. I have to come the realization that is it all how you present yourself to her. My friend from out of town came to visit. What we did was we took Kate outside of the house, and I had told my friend, Keep saying "Hi Kate!!" in a very excited voice acting like you have met her before. And it worked! Kate loved her. Now I'm not saying Kate's behavior towards strangers is acceptable, but I think that is her personality and personally, in the area I live in, I don't mind that she does not like strangers coming up to us.

When I boarded her, the same problem arised. I called to have them give her a bath and they said that she is nervous around some people so they would try but might not be able to. When I came to pick her up, the girl told me that some people just go in the cage and put the leash on the dog without saying anything. And those were the people Kate was nervous around and barked at. But the people that would talk to her and say hi, she had a blast with.

So I know this is long and I rambled, but I wanted you to know that Kate is the same exact way but we have figured ways around it so she can meet new people.

·
Agent Squint
3,627 Posts
Kate said:
I know I'm not a professional and I haven't had a lot of experience with the bully breed but I wanted you to know that Kate and I have shared the same experience.

It seemed like Kate only liked certain people. Even if they came into the house while she was in her crate and then we eventually let her out, some people she wouldn't like and would keep barking at them. Then on the street here in Rochester, I was talking to a lady and she wanted to pet Kate, she bent down and Kate barked at her. I have to come the realization that is it all how you present yourself to her. My friend from out of town came to visit. What we did was we took Kate outside of the house, and I had told my friend, Keep saying "Hi Kate!!" in a very excited voice acting like you have met her before. And it worked! Kate loved her. Now I'm not saying Kate's behavior towards strangers is acceptable, but I think that is her personality and personally, in the area I live in, I don't mind that she does not like strangers coming up to us.

When I boarded her, the same problem arised. I called to have them give her a bath and they said that she is nervous around some people so they would try but might not be able to. When I came to pick her up, the girl told me that some people just go in the cage and put the leash on the dog without saying anything. And those were the people Kate was nervous around and barked at. But the people that would talk to her and say hi, she had a blast with.

So I know this is long and I rambled, but I wanted you to know that Kate is the same exact way but we have figured ways around it so she can meet new people.
I could have almost written this exact same post for Montana. She's completely the same way with people. I was somewhat worried about it, and still am a little bit. But your problems tell me it's something I can fairly easily overcome with some training and PROPER socialization.

~S

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Come

I never give up I just keep calling her, I will say her name more forcefully but I alway say come in a loving tone. Sometimes that are distracted, LOL, okay most of the time they are distracted. These dogs are determined breeds that is a double edged sword it means that they will work hard at what we want them to do and it also means they will work hard at what they want to do!!! Sometimes that means they are interested in the cat no matter what Mommy is calling for. I always reward a treat, or a snuggle when she odeys the "Come" command....But they say if you call him to "Come" you NEVER EVER punish them when they are responding to the come command. A lot of times we unknowingly punish them for things that they are doing right. For example, when you are at the dog park do not tell him to come then put him in the car he was having fun you are punishing him!! Instead call him in a few times give him/her a reward and let them play some more becuase that "Come" command at the dog park is usually followed by punishment going home..You with me? If they are being naughty then you go to them and then get ont to him. I never tell Tora to "Come" to me for a heavy scolding I go to her. If you could run as fast as they can when you where a kid would you have went home when your Mom had that tone in her voice???NO WAY!!!

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Nervousness is not trainable its nerves. its genetic. depending on their age.
I dont think nervous dogs especially of people should be bred

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LOL I would never breed Brodie. a) I have no idea how to go about it, my first clue that it would be a bad idea. b) I am completely unsure of his lineage, though I do know he is a pitbull mutt, so no worries there.

I did know about the not punishing the dog when recalling him. When I went to training before, we practiced calling the dogs to us, having them sit for a moment, and then letting them go play again, so they would know that coming was not a punishment. I did this a couple of times with him at the park. I called him to me, he ignored me, so I went and got him, brought him back to the group, held his collar for a moment or two, told him to sit, and then let him go back to playing. I agree, I was nervous that he wouldnt come to me when I called him, and will work on that right away.

Kate and Amocat00 thanks for your posts too, its nice to know my dog isnt the only one who does that stuff. The funny thing was, at the vets office, they told us that when we werent in the room, he was totally fine. He was the friendliest dog! As soon as my husband was in the room again, he went back to trying to be protective. *shrugs* I dont know enough about dog language obviously, I saw someone post to Trina about Cesar's book, and I think I will get it too. Should be informative.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts