Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was lying on the couch today with Zeus, he was sleeping beside me and sharing the armrest as usual. He got up and moved to the bottom of the couch which was not unusual. While he was sleeping he started to gasp for air and was panting heavily. I lifted his lip and noticed the white/blue color and that he wasn't responding. I grabbed a blanket and and a friend and I placed him on it and carried him to the car. On the way to the Vet I noticed he stopped breathing and his tongue was hanging out. The vet ran out of the clinic and checked his pulse and pupils and confirmed that he was dead. The vet checked him for bloat with a needle and came to the conclusion that he must have had a heart attack, stroke or aneurism. I'm still in shock at this point as it was so sudden. I have had allot of support from friends and family but it still hurts allot. My house renovations are starting Monday and my plans were to buy a house close to work with a large lot for him run free. He would have turned seven in December which is way to young. I will miss him immensely, he was one of the sweetest dogs I have ever met. R.I.P. Zeus, I will never forget you :cry:

·
Registered
9,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
You know, Paul, this may be the reason Zeus got upset with Zero.
He was sensing something was wrong and wanted Zero to leave him alone.
How is Zero doing? Is he with you or with his owner?
That thought ran through my head as well. Zero was here just for the weekend so I guess he got to say goodbye :(

·
Registered
9,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
I really appreciate everyone's support. It's been very hard for me to deal with in so many ways. I don't even like being in my house anymore as it is so depressing. Zeus always welcomed me at the door with a full body wag which was comforting after a long day at work. Ares is walking around looking for Zeus and crying and is being very clingy with me. He has claimed Zeus's spot on the bed and sleeps much more then he used to. He peed in front of his litter box which I know is a sign of an upset cat. Cooking has also become depressing as I'm used to Zeus getting in my way, he always lied by my feet hoping that I would drop something. I washed the blanket from the bed and when I folded it I noticed the corners that he used to suck on before falling asleep. He always lied on the couch and watched TV with me so I have decided to give TV up for a while. I have also decided to throw out the couches and buy new ones because I can't stand looking at them anymore. I'm in the process of having my house painted and the floors should be done in a couple of weeks then I'm selling. I think buying a new house should give me a new fresh start. My biggest drive for moving was to buy a country home so Zeus would have ample room to run and now the drive is to leave the bad memories behind me. Zeus replaced another dog I lost and I remember feeling a bit of guilt at the time so I think I will wait until I'm settled in my new home. I only have one thing to ask of everyone on the board, give your pets a big hug for me and cherish every moment you have with them.
Can someone please change my :) to a :( on the heading, I was stressed out when I typed it.

·
Registered
9,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
take all the good memories with you :0)

I know what you mean . . . I left work early tonight and was greeted by the bully body wiggles, here I am curled on the couch with Mera against the back of my knees, Griff against my feet . . . these 2 are in my heart more than any other pups . . .

I think change will be good and Zeus would not want his Momma sad, he will always be with you, take him with you to the country in your heart . . . if it was me, I would think about scattering his ashes there . . . if that would make you feel better . . .

take care, hugs . . .
I would like to think dad ;) I have already thought of scattering his ashes and my last dog's when I move. It never seemed right to do at my city home.

·
Registered
9,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Thanks again everyone. I still have a few hard days especially when customers ask me how he is doing :( I will get another dog but I'm sure they wont have as much character as he did, he was one of a kind. Out of all the dogs I grew up with I never had one that could show that much facial expression. It was also unique how he would watch TV with me and it seemed like he actually knew what was going on. Ones I was watching a vampire movies and he ran out of the room when they killed some wolves :) At first Ares seemed very depressed but I think he is now soaking up all of the extra attention he is receiving. I have Zeus's urn next to my other dogs in the garage as I don't want to take the chance of them getting broken during my renovations. When I get my country home I will ether bury them or scatter the ashes.

·
Registered
9,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 · (Edited)
Just checking in and I want to thank everyone for there support/comments. I still miss Zeus and It has been over a year now, he was unique. Tonka my Alaskan Malamute has filled most of my void as he has turned out to be a great companion. He is very smart and loves all dogs and humans. I bought a place in the country for Zeus and I'm happy that I did as it is a sanctuary for any dog. Tonka's dad is is one of the top Malamutes in Canada and the breeder said she would give me a pup that was beta so he would be good with other dogs. I didn't believe her as I couldn't understand how someone could judge a pup. So far he is gentle with small dogs/puppy's (rolls on his back and lets them jump all over him). If a dog gets aggressive with him he either ignores them or gets verbal to let them know that he isn't one to be messed with and they back off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts