Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

I need a mentor

6K views 28 replies 13 participants last post by  Shay78 
#1 ·
Does anyone here show their dogs, or know anyone who does?? Where I live (British Columbia) there are hardly any bulldogs who are shown according to a couple breed clubs, and I might have to show Max in Washington State.

My breeder recommended that I give the show ring a try (I think I made a post about this a while back).

Well, I went to the vet last week, and (without me mentioning anything about it), the vet said that my puppy has excellent structure/conformation, and thinks he would do really well from his personality as well, and she suggested that I show him too. My vet said that he also has an amazing pallet, and large nostrils (for breathing).

I was contemplating getting a proffesional handler, but I think I want to show him myself, because I think it would be a really fun experience. I'm also going to be getting him involved in therapy work training as soon as he's old enough. We start handling classes next month, but I am really in need of a "bully mentor", because most of the people from that club have other breeds.

So if anyone could help me out it would be GREATLY appreciated!!!! :)

See less See more
#3 ·
AsianRedneck said:
I don't think anyone here show their dogs. They just talk a lot of crap....
LOL..maybe you should tell Attitude that. I am sure she would get a good chuckle after the weekend she just had! Whose the one talking CRAP? LMFAO!!!

Crossposted from the Johnson-hybrid AB board

http://members3.boardhost.com/johnsonhybridab/msg/1157401813.html

Here are the big conformation winners from the ABNA Nationals! If you would like to add a brag about an individual class win/place or show, please do so. My fingers keep getting tired! Also, I don't have all the working events info, so add those brags to the list as well!!

SATURDAY

Best Male Bully Pup - RH's Chuck Hole Gangster "Thug"
Best Female Bully Pup - Dailey's Leave Your Hat On
Best in Show Bully Pup - Dailey's Leave Your Hat On
Best Male Standard Pup - Garner's Sargent Bosefus
Best Female Standard Pup - Attitude's Lil Bit of Boyd
Best in Show Standard Pup Attitude's Lil Bit of Boyd
Best of Breed Pup - Attitude's Lil Bit of Boyd

Best Male Bully - Dailey's Ulee
Best Female Bully - RH's Princess Ivy
Best in Show Bully - Dailey's Ulee
Best Male Standard - Desert Rock's Big Boy Go Ped
Best Female Standard - TNT Rogue of Boyd
Best in Show Standard - TNT Rogue of Boyd
Best of Breed - TNT Rogue of Boyd

SUNDAY

Best Male Bully Pup - RH's Chuck Hole Gangster "Thug"
Best Female Bully Pup - Dailey's Leave Your Hat On
Best In Show Bully Pup - Dailey's Leave Your Hat On
Best Male Standard Pup - Bama's Bayou Rascal of SSK
Best Female Standard Pup - Attitude's Lil Bit of Boyd
Best in Show Standard Pup - Attitude's Lil Bit of Boyd
Best of Breed Pup - Attitude's Lil Bit of Boyd

Best Male Bully - Chi-Town Bullies' Rocky
Best Female Bully - RH's Princess Ivy
Best in Show Bully - Chi-Town Bullies' Rocky
Best Male Standard - Desert Rock's Big Boy Go Ped
Best Female Standard - MBJ's Thundering Athena of SAB
Best in Show Standard - Desert Rock's Big Boy Go Ped
Best of Breed - Desert Rock's Big Boy Go Ped

Big congratulations to these dogs and their owners for earning an ABNA Championship this weekend!
Dailey's Ulee owned by Jeff Dailey, Dailey's American Bulldogs
RH's Princess Ivy, owned by Kevin Wiegand, Rock Hound American Bulldogs
TNT Rogue of Boyd, owned by Chrissie Reiss, Tried N True American Bulldogs

Even little ole' Rosco has had some success too, but I guess I am just full of crap too :lol: :lol: :lol: Better luck next time AR.

:lol: :lol:

#5 ·
Very impressive Lisa, and GORGEOUS dog!!! :)

I have an English Bulldog......so far I know of only 2 other English Bulldogs who compete around here. I know there are a few who come down here from Washington State on occasion to a few shows. I have the number of one of the other EB handlers here, and am going to call it, but I guess I'm going to have to see how helpful she will be willing to be, LOL. I know there are a LOT more EBs who are shown in Washington....and my dog is AKC registered, but I don't know if it would be really hard to show him in Washington because of the very frequent traveling I would have to do, and crossing the border (which takes over an hour a lot of the time), and I have a 1 year old, and a workaholic hubby, LOL. I'm VERY determined now to show him, but I just need to figure out what would be the best avenue to take. I kind of want to do shows here, but it might take two decades to get a championship if we were to keep attending shows that wouldn't count for any points, LOL.

#6 ·
lol, just saw this post , sorry. Vertes3, i would recommend going to a couple of shows , akc/ckc, to get an idea of what is required of your dog. honestly, there is not much to conformation showing. if your dog is conformationally correct and sound that is all the judge should be looking at. sadly there are alot of politics in the show ring so that is not always the case.
is your dog ckc registered as well? there are ckc show almost every weekend in the season, you may need to travel a bit depending on where you are but the chances are you will find a few fairly close to home thru out the summer. the eb stack is just a basic square stack so nuthin to difficult. if you like, email me any questions and i will see if i can be of any help :)

#7 ·
AsianRedneck said:
I don't think anyone here show their dogs. They just talk a lot of crap....
LMAO What ever. I do show and have finished dogs, sounds like your the crap talker..lol Would kind of be the reason Venom has CH in front of his name, that means CH, but hey I'm just another crap talker :roll:

To the OP. I don't have English Bulldogs, but I'd recommend checking out a few shows for yourself and finding someone locally who shows to help you out. Are you going to do UKC or AKC? You can ask questions, see how things are done and find a close mentor by checking out a couple of shows.

#8 ·
Yap I have a few shows lined up I'm planning to go to here this month (just for viewing)....and handling training classes next month (for me and my pupp). We still have to order Max's pedigree to get CKC registration too, and right now he is only AKC....we can still compete before we get his CKC finalized, but will have to pay a fee.

What I am mostly intimidated by is after I talked to this one guy from an all breed club here he said that it might take a long time to get a championship in Canada for a bulldog......he also said that "bulldogs weren't his cup of tea", and to "try to find shows with judges who have a tendency to really like the non-sporting group". I guess I'm pretty much going to have to just dive in, and learn as I go. So pretty much we can register for shows, and not have any bulldogs show up, and then not get any points regardless of how well he could have done.

Attitude I'm going to definetly email you to try to figure out how to stack Max best and get some practice even before our classes.....because I don't know how well the classes will really help us, seeing as from the sounds of it there aren't any bulldogs, and given the bulldogs unique shape, I'm sure that the best way to stack them is different, right??

#9 ·
Vertes3 said:
Attitude I'm going to definetly email you to try to figure out how to stack Max best and get some practice even before our classes.....because I don't know how well the classes will really help us, seeing as from the sounds of it there aren't any bulldogs, and given the bulldogs unique shape, I'm sure that the best way to stack them is different, right??
nope, it is a basic squared up stack. i think the hardest thing with an eb is getting your pace right to make his look good. i will have a look around and see what i can find here that would help you out

#10 ·
Okay...I had read that it was back close and the front apart, and thought that would look a bit odd, LOL. I'm going to study some pics of some champs!

Ya I figured getting a good pace would be hard. Bulldogs don't look the best when they are sprinting either, LOL.....and pretty much they are either wadling, or sprinting (with their gowls flapping around, LOL). I'm going to start trying to pace him along with my daughters stroller, and try to see what looks best, and then try to get him used to that pace. LUCKILY he already usually likes walking on the left side, which makes things easier!!!

Thanks!!! :)

#15 ·
AsianRedneck said:
Lisa said:
LOL What are those? Blue ribbons? Yeah I've won some like those for flag football, doesn't mean I'm NFL material
You said no one here shows their dogs, I am showing you otherwise.

You got something better to show us?
Oh look! It's an "American Bully"!

OOPS sorry, different POS.

My apologies, but the resemblance was just uncanny! :lol: (If you can dish it out, be prepared to take it)

#17 ·
AsianRedneck said:
LOL What are those? Blue ribbons? Yeah I've won some like those for flag football, doesn't mean I'm NFL material
What exactly does that mean? Don't think flag football or your winnings is relavent to whether or not people show... :scratch:

Anyway I've never seen a CKC show, I assume its similar to the shows here in the US? Are the standards pretty similar for the breeds?

I have one at the end of this month. I have a few that should finish this year they are pretty close, we have the show this month, a double show and Nationals left for this year.

I also have this female I want to finish bad, she is almost halfway there but I think if she places really well like she has so far she could finish this year. She has placed every show, so its always possible.

Guess these are the first pics I've posted on here. I guess I should post some in the gallery section.

#23 ·
True_Pits said:
AsianRedneck said:
What exactly does that mean? Don't think flag football or your winnings is relavent to whether or not people show... :scratch:

Anyway I've never seen a CKC show, I assume its similar to the shows here in the US? Are the standards pretty similar for the breeds?

I have one at the end of this month. I have a few that should finish this year they are pretty close, we have the show this month, a double show and Nationals left for this year.

I also have this female I want to finish bad, she is almost halfway there but I think if she places really well like she has so far she could finish this year. She has placed every show, so its always possible.

Guess these are the first pics I've posted on here. I guess I should post some in the gallery section.
This is a very nice looking dog.

#24 ·
Lisa said:
AsianRedneck said:
Lisa said:

My apologies, but the resemblance was just uncanny! :lol: (If you can dish it out, be prepared to take it)
You asked for something better than your ribbon. I posted poo :lol:

#26 ·
AsianRedneck said:
Lisa said:
AsianRedneck said:
Lisa said:

You asked for something better than your ribbon. I posted poo :lol:
I dont agree with what he said, Rosco is a great looking dog, but that was funny, if he had ribbons to go with the picture, that would have been even better.

Oh and Lisa made a good comeback with the "Oh look! It's an "American Bully"!"

This site is histarical

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.