Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I adopted Lola a couple of months ago and she is a great dog. She is about a year old and we think she is a pitt mix (but who knows). She has no formal obedience training, but I work with her a lot at home. She has the basics down at home but, when we are out and about she is like a crazy dog. She won’t come when I call, or when she does she just kind of strolls over. How do I get her to come to me fast and consistently? We are planning on getting her in obedience classes but it won’t be for another month. So any suggestions? Thanks!

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
Get her worn out with excercise, get her good and tired...that way she doesn't
have so much energy when she's out. Or lure her to you with whatever she loves, treats or a toy.
Also, just put a leash on her...btw...where is she going where she just runs around loose? I would
think that is a disaster waiting to happen with a pit...people can be judgemental!

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We live in Alaska and we live in the middle of no where so we can go to this park in the middle of the woods that no one actually goes to. It's great fun for her after I get off work; she just runs around and investigates things (she’s never out of site). Other then that she is always on her lead, so don't worry. I just wanted to add, she doesn't run away, she just doesn't always come when I call her.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Positive reinforcement is the best way to get the dog to come to you. A baggie full of cut up hot dogs is a nice incentive. Try to get your dog to be excellent on leash before it's off leash in a place other than your home though. You don't want to put the cart before the horse so to speak. By the way, beautiful dog, thats my favorite color for a pit.

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
I wouldn't advise you having her off lead unless her recall is dead on. Try getting a really long lead, like 20-30 ft. Then practice using a yummy treat, like bam's dad suggested. If she doesn't come right away start reeling her in with the lead until she gets the point. eventually you can phase out the treats.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Kasco said:
I wouldn't advise you having her off lead unless her recall is dead on. Try getting a really long lead, like 20-30 ft. Then practice using a yummy treat, like bam's dad suggested. If she doesn't come right away start reeling her in with the lead until she gets the point. eventually you can phase out the treats.
I can not agree more. You are running a chance of something going wrong, an encounter with an other animal (ie:dog, child/adult or even because of where you live an wild animal). The price you might be forced to pay is just not worth it! The lose of your dog either by death in a fight or by a court of law, which most likely would still end in the death of your dog. Protect him by training him. Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts