Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Molly goes in to have the Cherry Eye corrected tomorrow. And it will actually be done on both eyes. This past weekend the other eye popped out as well. The breeder has agreed to pay for 50% of the surgery as well. I can't wait to have that cute little face back again. But I can't help but be worried with her having to be under anethesia.

Of course when we got to the vets it wasn't out. That's the funny thing, as fast as it appears it can disappear. It seems to come out alot when she's rough housing with Bear and then go away when she sleeps. The vet said that some dogs that come in with it he is sometimes able to manipulate it back in. The vet did give me an eye drop antibiotic that he also wanted to run from her eye into sinuses because she's still having a little discharge from her nose. Not to worry though she is very playful and great appetite. We are now up to 19 lbs at almost 4 months. Well here's pics, what do you think? The vet says we will wait and see if surgery is necessary. He is not the type to be hasty with things. Makes me like him even more to think he's not just in it for the money.

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
It does look like cherry eye, poor girl. She's still a cutie though! Keep us updated, and I'll have my fingers crossed that it won't require surgery.

apbtgurl26 said:
I'm still learning here... :oops: What exactly is cherry eye, and what causes it? Thanks! :D
The medical term for 'cherry eye' is nictitans gland prolapse, or prolapse of the gland of the third eyelid. Unlike people, dogs have a 'third eyelid' that contains a tear gland and is located in the corner of each eye. Under normal circumstances, this gland is not visible and aids in the production of tears. For some reason, which is not completely understood, the gland of the third eyelid prolapses or comes out of its normal position and swells creating the condition known as cherry eye.

The exact cause of cherry eye is not known, but it is strongly suspected that it is due to a weakness of the connective tissue that attaches the gland to the surrounding structures of the eye. The weakness of the connective tissue allows the gland to prolapse. Once the gland prolapses and is exposed to the dry air and irritants, it can become infected and/or begin to swell. The gland often becomes irritated, red, and swollen. There is sometimes a mucous discharge and if the animals rub or scratch at it, they can traumatize the gland further or possibly create an ulcer on the surface of the eye.

Taken from: http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1606&articleid=409

If you wanted to read up on it.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
HausMommy said:
It does look like cherry eye, poor girl. She's still a cutie though! Keep us updated, and I'll have my fingers crossed that it won't require surgery.

apbtgurl26 said:
I'm still learning here... :oops: What exactly is cherry eye, and what causes it? Thanks! :D
The medical term for 'cherry eye' is nictitans gland prolapse, or prolapse of the gland of the third eyelid. Unlike people, dogs have a 'third eyelid' that contains a tear gland and is located in the corner of each eye. Under normal circumstances, this gland is not visible and aids in the production of tears. For some reason, which is not completely understood, the gland of the third eyelid prolapses or comes out of its normal position and swells creating the condition known as cherry eye.

The exact cause of cherry eye is not known, but it is strongly suspected that it is due to a weakness of the connective tissue that attaches the gland to the surrounding structures of the eye. The weakness of the connective tissue allows the gland to prolapse. Once the gland prolapses and is exposed to the dry air and irritants, it can become infected and/or begin to swell. The gland often becomes irritated, red, and swollen. There is sometimes a mucous discharge and if the animals rub or scratch at it, they can traumatize the gland further or possibly create an ulcer on the surface of the eye.

Taken from: http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1606&articleid=409

If you wanted to read up on it.
Thanks for the info Tasha! :D
That's horrible, though. And it can only be fixed with surgery? :(

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
Poor girl, looks like cherry eye to me. I hope she get's better on her own, surgery stinks, especially for a little pup. Give her extra hugs from abby and me.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all for your well wishes. Yeah, I was almost positive too that it was cherry eye. I had done alot of research on it. But what was confusing me is that it would come and go. Nothing that I was reading on it said that it could come in and out.

And it figures that when she gets to the vet its not out. But an hour after we get home it comes back out.

I'm pretty sure I'll be calling him again Monday. Today it's been out all day and I have not seen it go in. She doesn't paw at it. But it sure looks painful to me.

·
Registered
134 Posts
definitely a cherry eye... Nox had one. and it needed to be removed. it's usually caused by rough housing... a claw in the eye or a hard hit.
Sorry to hear of this... they look so bad and pitiful. good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Cost of Surgery...??

I have a 4 month old english bulldog, Max, and he also has cherry eye. I went to the"All Animal Eye Clinic" today and scheduled to have the surgery done. I was a little disappointed that we were charged $136 to have an "evaluation" and to have a tear test done. I was curious how much the surgery cost for Molly? We have been quoted at $375 for one eye, $500 for both eyes if he needs it, $70 for anestesia and $50 for fluids. Is this in the same ballpark that you were charged? Thanks in advance for you reply.

·
Registered
134 Posts
That seems pretty high.... When Nox had it removed/fixed he had it done by laser, and they charged $250-$270, that included anestesia, pain meds, evaulation... everything. I would ask a few other clinics/vets. Good Luck!!

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: Cost of Surgery...??

haasmi said:
I have a 4 month old english bulldog, Max, and he also has cherry eye. I went to the"All Animal Eye Clinic" today and scheduled to have the surgery done. I was a little disappointed that we were charged $136 to have an "evaluation" and to have a tear test done. I was curious how much the surgery cost for Molly? We have been quoted at $375 for one eye, $500 for both eyes if he needs it, $70 for anestesia and $50 for fluids. Is this in the same ballpark that you were charged? Thanks in advance for you reply.
That seems very high. First $136 for an eval is rediculous. My vet didn't even charge for that. I'm almost positive a tear test is not necessary for cherry eye. Cherry eye is very clear in its presentation. Are you sure its cherry eye? Do you have pics? I know tear tests are done for dry eye. But hey, I'm no vet. Dry eye can also develop after cherry eye surgery.

MAKE SURE THE VET DOES NOT REMOVE THE GLAND!!! It should be tacked or tucked.

For both eys on Molly the surgery was $250. I think your getting hosed too with the extra charges for anestesia and fluids.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts