Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and my mom locked my keys in my van. Nevermind the van though - she was AWESOME. Such a nice lady and she told me Sam was a good girl. Got the right kind of prey drive and didn't even act aggressive towards the other dogs - not even the Jack Russel's who were SPAZY of course. She's too dang far away for me to join her classes (I could almost cry - I would have LOVED to) but she hooked me up w/ a guy closer to me. Said Sam would be an awesome candidate for agility and she helped me w/ a lot of my questions. I was so relived to hear a 'professional' tell me I had a good, 'normal' dog. Especially since my mom was there to hear what she said - AND she told my mom the ONLY breed of dog anyone could ever say was absolutly good w/ kids were Pits. No other dog was ever kept from showing ANY signs of aggression except the pit due to their gaming nature and what that entails. I was SO glad she told my mom that cause I'm just some yahoo who 'happened' into a pitbull - no authority no matter how much reading I've done KWIM? Ok I just had to share w/ someone that I got Sam assessed and she runs no higher risk of eating my kids than the next dog (maybe even less). WOO HOO... Now it's on to the 'real' work of keeping her busy and good and tired....

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Too bad you aren't closer because Cheryl is a good trainer!

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know I was SOOO bummed when I realized I just could not make that drive weekly - but she said the guy in Flint is good, was one of her students at one time. He breeds pits as well as trains them... So I'm still excited. I can only talk about it here as ppl IRL only roll their eyes and think I'm a crazy dog lady now... :roll: They just don't get it...

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
newpitowner said:
I know I was SOOO bummed when I realized I just could not make that drive weekly - but she said the guy in Flint is good, was one of her students at one time. He breeds pits as well as trains them... So I'm still excited. I can only talk about it here as ppl IRL only roll their eyes and think I'm a crazy dog lady now... :roll: They just don't get it...
:lol: i live in canada (toronto) and i use to make the drive once a week!

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know - I'm a wuss. :oops: I did think about it but w/ gas being as expensive as it is (despite the 'drop') and having three girls two of whom are in school and a husband who works FT and goes to school in addition to his other activities I just didn't know how I could fit it in. I'll see the guy in Flint, if he's cool then that will be the deal. If I'm left pining for her then I'll reconsider the drive out there. I'm impressed u'd drive from canada (where in canada btw?).... ETA nevermind I see your from Toronto DOH...

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
newpitowner, is the trainer Cheryl's sending you to named Howard by any chance?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is - is that good or bad?! :-s

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
lol ya, i use to drive in michigan every day. haven't done that route for years tho
i'v heard good things about howard btw

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
newpitowner said:
It is - is that good or bad?! :-s
Definitely a GOOD thing!! You won't go wrong training with Howard!

Howard understands dogs and not only will he be able to help you with the training aspect, but you can learn so much about the APBT breed as well. He is a wealth of information and does alot with his dogs....Schutzhund, weight pull, agility and even conformation! He knows his stuff!!

If everyone involved in the breeding of the APBT had the goals and ethics of Howard, BSL would not exist.

If I were you I would pay much attention to him, go in with an open mind. You are very fornuate to have him in your area and if you are willing, can learn a ton from him. If I was a pitbull person, looking for a mentor, Howard would be one I would be looking to. Consider yourself lucky to have found him. He is a class act.

PS when you go see him ask to see his dog Magnus. Nice dog!! :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts