Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started in Personal Protection back in the early 90’s with my first Rottweiler and have been training in Schutzhund for the past 13 years. My breed of choice had been the Rottweiler, for which I had often been criticized for not switching to a GSD or Malinois. I’ve been told by many mentors that I can’t achieve national level status without a GSD… Oh well we all have our cross to bare. I still have club members offering some very nice prospects, but I feel that I have a greater satisfaction training the “other breeds”. I would say that I’m a straight working dog person! I can appreciate the aspects and need to maintain breed confirmation, but if the dog can’t work then (in my mind) what’s the point?

I acquired my second Rottweiler in 1997 and owner – handler trained him to a SchH III. We qualified for the USRC Schutzhund III Club and at the time I was 1 in 45 people that had accomplished this in the USA with a Rottweiler. We represented the USRC Team at the AWDF Schutzhund Championships and were the only SchH II team to pass tracking that year… the conditions were really bad!

I had a USRC Registered Kennel “vom Eisenhaus” (of the iron house) and had a couple litters over those 7 years. Both of these litters were from my SchH II bitch and have a complete working titled pedigree (nothing less than a SchH I). All my dogs/bitches were breed tested under the USRC/ADRK rules. I’m not really into breeding and not really opposed to it either. My SchH II bitch died of cancer before we were able to get our SchH III, that’s when I stopped breeding. My kennel and breed values were that “the strength in any working breed is only as strong as the bitches that work”.

I have been quite involved in the Rottweiler and the sport of Schutzhund. I was the Assistant Northwest Regional Director for the USRC as well as Local Breed Warden and Tattooer. I have a pretty good reputation as a club and trial helper… one of my strengths is that I can work the molosser breeds… not as easy at it might look! LOL. I was selected (out of 6) for the front half helper at the USRC National Schutzhund Championships…. See attached photos of me working. As a club helper and training director I have been key in numerous teams achieving there titles in which some moved on to regional and national level competition. I spent about three years training with the Yolo County Sheriff, Vallejo PD and Ceres PD K-9 Units. Very much enjoyed this aspect of training as it brought me back to my personal protection roots.

I have been researching the American Bulldog as my next Working Dog..... and that's how I ended up here. :shock:

So I'll have a look around and see whats up!

Thanks!

·
Registered
149 Posts
I went to an American Bulldog Schutzhund show last year and most of the handlers were all in law inforcement.
Somehow I felt very safe :D

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Welcome sounds to me like you will fit in just fine around here. :D There are some workers here and I think that all or at least most work ABs. I have heard ABs compaired to Rotts on the feild (I really know nothing but I trusted the source). But it sounds like you will enjoy being here and you have possibly found a new love(ABs).........I am not a worker ( ahhhh, one day, I just don't have the time to do it now) but I have a great deal of respect for what ya'll are doing with the breeds. I do share your love for Rotties, I don't have one now I have an AB and a Chihuahua :lol: ..........Anyways my long winded TMI point was welcome, I hope you find what you are looking for/ I am almost positive you found the right breed

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Welcome! You will find alot of us are mere "pet" owners but we do have alot of respect and admiration for those of you who actually work your dogs. Well, most of us do anyway! Hope to see you around the forum. Ummm...BTW any more pictures?? :D

·
Banned
3,504 Posts
Welcome! I hope you find this place as helpful as most of us have. The pics are awesome...always nice to see dogs working. I have an AB and a pit/boxer mix. Our AB is going to be a therapy dog...considering doing some weight pull with him as well. Not sure what I have in store for the pit/boxer pup...although agility is looking like a good option.

Hope you stick around and can't wait to see more pics!

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
hey a question

would training my OEB for perosnal protection be a good or bad idea? how would i go about it? I looked at the links wrknrott gave me but i cannot find a lub near me? would he even be able to do the tracking? I have read up some on the sport and i really admire it. even though i wouldn't compete with him, i would still like to teach him and channel his protective intincts.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: hey a question

DogSoldier said:
would training my OEB for perosnal protection be a good or bad idea? how would i go about it? I looked at the links wrknrott gave me but i cannot find a lub near me? would he even be able to do the tracking? I have read up some on the sport and i really admire it. even though i wouldn't compete with him, i would still like to teach him and channel his protective intincts.
I sent you a PM with club information.... now just do it! :wink:

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Well, Im a day (or several :lol: ) late, but welcome!

Im very interested in all aspects of training (Sch, pp, wp, etc), so I may pick your brain too! Hope you don't mind! :lol: We are picking up our Renascence Bulldogge pup next week. She's drivey as hell, and I KNOW Im going to need something for her to do. Others here have laughed about attempting to work a RB (and trying to find a club willing to teach us what we need to know - with out laughing at us), but I think they are worth a shot. They are awsome dogs. Compact and strong with stamina and drive.

So if you don't get scared off by the occassional chaos on here, I may be bugging you with questions in the future! :wink:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts