Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

So before you get the wrong impression, let me explain...

I took nelson to my parents house last night and they have a female husky (Shakyane), who, for some reason hates nelsons' guts. aanyways, Shakyane is never in the house and i walked in and didn't even think to check if she was inside (last time i make that mistake), i opened the door and nelson went to walk in and Shakyane bolted to the entry, saw nelson and went nuts and started barking and trying to bite him.

So to protect him for being bitten, i stood in between the both of them (because my hands were full) and used my legs to keep them apart. Plus I knew that neither of them would try to bite me, they're jsut not that type of dogs. In the process, nelson started to snap back at Shakyane and I didn't want nelson to bite Shakayne either (because she is our family's dog and i grew up with her) so at some point in the kuffufle, someone bit me on the shin, and i think it was neslon, because the bite came from his direction :)

so it bruised quite a bit and bled a little (wasn't a deep bite, just a small graze if anything). my mum seems to think i should get a tetnus shot. but nelson's had all his shots, do i need to get a tetnus? its not like hes a strange dog or anything. i asked a friend at work and he said if ur dog bites you, shoot it. haha very funny, so pls no one else say that because it wasn't like nelson was trying to bite ME, my sis said he was trying to protect me. i just want to make it clear just in case ur all shaking your head and thinking that he's a bad dog, that at no point did he become viscious and uncontrollable. because when my parent's other dog (chow) ran out the house, nelson went to follow him and i told him to sit and stay until we got shakayne in and out the back yard.

on another note, nelson is always so good with other dogs, he wants to play with shakayne but she always gets so mad when she sees him. is there any way they can get along ever?

·
Agent Squint
3,627 Posts
Regarding the tetnus shot, I would think if he's had his shots and you've had an up-to-date tetnus shot, you shouldn't need one just for that. I've gotten bitten, where it drew blood, just from playing with mine and my friends' dogs and haven't even thought of that. Regarding your folks dog and Nelson, if Shakyane hates him now, it'll most likely never change. I wouldn't even bother forcing the issue. My parents' Black Lab and my bulldogges hate each other. That's just the way it is and we accept that. We don't want to take any chances, so they never see each other except maybe through a window...

~S

·
Registered
297 Posts
As I know after 10 years you need a new tetnus shot.

4NGI3 said:
on another note, nelson is always so good with other dogs, he wants to play with shakayne but she always gets so mad when she sees him. is there any way they can get along ever?
Some dogs get mad when "stranger" dogs are coming in, try it again and go out for a walk, somewhere in a park, but keep them on the leash. If she still get mad about him, they never get along.
You don't have to excuse for Nelson, I guess the most here know how quick it can go to get a bit when you want to separate dogs.

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
I've never heard of anyone needing a tetanus for a dog bite. That's usually only if you cut yourself with metal. Rabies vaccination, maybe? I don't know what they give for dog bites nowadays. Maybe they do give tetanus and I just don't know. I work in ER every now & then, but I've never had anyone come in for a dog bite! I'll see if I can find out for you.

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Yes, you should get a tetnus shot if you haven't had one in the last ten years. My husband was bitten by our snake and the doctor told him an animal bite requires a tetnus shot.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Kasco is right. If you aren't up to date with you Tetnus shot (in the past 10 yrs), then you should most definitely get it.

People have gotten this disease from animal bites hence why the pressure to be vaccinated.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hey thanks everyone, i really appreciate your advice. i can't remember if i have had a tetnus shot with in the last 10 years. i do remember that tetnus are the shots that REALLLLYYYY hurt but i guess if i have to do it i have to do it! now i just gotta get nelson and shakayne to be friends and i'm all set! :D

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
This may sound REALLY bad, but if and when you go in to get a tetnus shot, dont tell them that you got bitten by your dog. Unless you want to deal with a rabies quarentine and a bunch of hassle. A quarentine is the usual route for dog bites regardless of whos dog bit whom. You know it was an accidental bite, but the "officials" dont really care. In thier books, a bite is a bite and they have a set proccedure they need to follow.

If you go in for a tetnus shot, just tell them something like you cant remember when the last time you had one was, and that you are helping a friend remodle thier house or something like that. Otherwise, Nelson might have to be quarrentined for 10 days. Not so bad if they will allow you to qurrentine at home. Some dont though. But with an in home quarrentine, there has to be minimal people contact and no other animal contact for the duration of the quarrentine.
JMO

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
When I went to the ER after a bite, I didn't get a tetanus shot. Nor did they call animal control about it. I think they just didn't give a crap, really. :roll: But when it happened again only a few months later, I did NOT go to the ER for fear that they would take the dogs from me.

As for the treatment, they just cleaned it up with betadine and put a bandaid on it. For this they charged me hundreds of dollars. :evil: They gave me scripts for antibiotics and vicodin.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.