Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this from another forum. Basically write down what you would do if someone was interested in one of your pups. Remember this is just for FUN! So don't take this and turn it into something negative.

What would you do as a breeder? Your pups parents and pups are completely healthy, and now you have someone interested in buying one. What will you do...what will you ask?

1. Phone Interview - I'm really big in doing phone interviews because I can ask certain questions and see how they react to them. The main things I ask are, where would this dog be kept during the day and at night? What made you decide this breed is right for you? Have you ever owned this breed before? Are you familiar with the health problems this breed may have? What will this dog be used for? Companion, working?

2. Home check - The main reason I do this is to see the eviroment that pup will be in? Is it clean? Are their other dogs healthy looking and friendly? Do they have a fenced in yard to safely exercise that dog? Are the neighbors friendly with the other dogs? Very important to me cause I've seen to many dogs get brought back to the rescue because of bad neighbors.

3. Refrence checks - I would require to see vet records of previous dogs to prove you do keep that dog UTD on shots. I would also require your vets number so I could call them myself and verify this information on the phone and in person! Questions I would want to vet to answer, is the dogs they brought in in good health? Do they treat these dogs well?

I'm sure theres numerous things I could do...but I'm drawing blanks.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Those are all the questions that Tora's breeder asked me.....He also asks for pictures and I take her to visit him from time to time.....He loves seeing her and seeing how well she is taken care of ...On our last visit he said that one of the pup's new parents had not checked in a while and he was about to go over there and check for himself

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The breeder Shadow came from does the same thing. Anytime I carry him to the vet I have to send them copies of the records and they call and verify to see if I'm telling the truth.

I'm glad they do that though, and I enjoy it when they come and visit because theres not alot of pit bull owners in my area that are doing the right things, and I love getting together and talking about what we have planned.

Really nice people though, I thought they were jerks at first cause Chuck was very straight forward and he didn't sugercoat his words. Though I learned that's good to do, say it like it is and let people know you mean business.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
I know I really respect the guy that I got Tora from for the that..and I feel a lot better about him bc of it....I love that he still wants to be a part of her life...She wasn't just some dog that he breed...He said that the guy he got her Momma from wanted NOTHING to do with him once the papers where signed :cry:

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know how people can do that. I want to be included in some aspects of the pups life, let me know how she's doing from time to time. I always offer to let Jen and Chuck come out if they have time to play with Shadow since they do miss him.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Everything you said and I would try to not sell a dog to a someone who already has a bully breed of dog. If they already had a dog I would need to intend how they plan to handle it if at some point the dogs stop getting along, and this is just from my own personal experience.

Also, I'd want to be sure that the dog is going to be fixed.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Spay or nueter contracts are a must.

I also made the prospective owners come with me to the final vet visit before they left, just so there were no questions left unanswered.

Pics-regularly, only a few are sent via computer, the rest are polaroids(yes they still make polaroids!!!)

I also found an awesome book when I got Dixie about the breed, went back to the bookstore and bought one for each of the owners.

I still take one to the vet if needed, she got a nasty looking infection on her belly from the black dirt she was digging in, and I voluntarily took herl just to make sure that I KNOW she is taken care of. The dirt is harsh, if you find it, and she found it!!!

Just to name a few.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
a decent human being and good breeder cares about all of the puppies they breed, which means they care to stay in their lives not just sell them and never see you again. Thats horrible.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts