Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok not really, but I sure do feel like beating him somedays. How do I stop the whining and the fit throwing (my own poor description) when he goes in the crate? How can I make him be quiet outside - he FREAKS if someone doesn't stay out there w/ him while he does his business. This dog has NO manners - and I know it's my responsibility to teach him - I've already contacted a couple o trainers to see if they either work w/ this type of dog or know who does, in the meantime any info anyone might have (I know he's not a bully so I don't know if the rules change a lot, subtly or not at all really in such situations) would be appreciated.

Sarah

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Do you give him anything to play with while he's in the crate? A chew toy or maybe a kong or something, that may keep him entertained for awhile.

When you take him out, start leaving him outside by himself slowly. Let him out and let him stay out maybe 5 minutes alone, and work up the time.

Just my suggestions...

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He's had toys in there - he doesn't care for them.... he's a whiner which - rationally I know is wrong - pisses me off to no end. Just now he got up on my table and before I could get the dinner put away - helping kids w/ stuff - he had his 60# arse up there sucking up as much food as he could - OMG did I blow a nut. He's currently in his crate (yeah I know - I'll find a different way ASAP but for now it was all I had, belive you me it kept him safe :evil: ) and finally quieted down. My struggle is he doesn't seem to need so much a strong hand as just a patient consistant one (dear God another child! :roll: ) so this is really just turning into a vent - sorry. I just can't belive the idiot would get up there while I'm RIGHT THERE and start chowing... *SIGH* time, it just takes time. He's a good boy, a pretty boy, and one day he *may* be a smart boy. :lol: I still look forward to more idea's, just had to vent a bit before I really did skin me a dawg. :idea:

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Myve try a kong stuffed with goodies. Here's some receipes I used with my APBT that he couldnt resist. http://www.kongcompany.com/worlds_best.html My APBT is a screamer and thrases himself around in his crate and has almost tipped it over going nuts in it. Another thing you could try is covering his crate with a blanket so its dark. As far as him jumping up on the table maybe you could baby gate the area so he can't get in until he learns what is acceptable and unacceptable!......We all need to vent at some point. Don't feel bad I tell my GSD about 3 times a week she's going to end up going to doggie heaven early! lol.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
puppies are just like kids, as long as you react to his whinning he'll keep doing it. put headphones on and ignore him. as long as it works he'll keep doing it.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
*SIGH* yeah - I know. I was hoping there was some sort of magic 'cure' :oops: hehe - really I just needed/wanted to vent about it. I'll just pop my MP3 player in next time - that way I don't have to hear ANY of them. :roll: I'm having a hard time tracking down specific information on GSP's other than history type stuff on the breed and books u can buy. I'll keep looking but if any of you know of anything I'd be so thankful....

·
Registered
345 Posts
Consistent consistent and some more being consistent. Sheila had a bad last month, kinda like all the training out the window. But you gotta lay the ground rules down and not budge, especially if they are being broken. This month she has been a doll. Nipping, jumping on people and peeing in the house have all improved dramatically from last month. But it is just like having a little kid. You said it best, a patient hand is needed. I here your frustration though, there were times when Sheila could push my buttons like NO person or other animal could and I would get soooooooo pissed. Step back take a breather to collect yourself before you react.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I didn't realise you had another dog. You have a German Shorthair Pointer? That is a very energetic breed that very much needs a job. I love the breed, I live in the boonies, I walk my young ridgie 3 miles at the crack of dawn, but the GSP has way too much energy for me. You're probably going to have to find agility or field work to keep that dog sane.

Paula

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
PaulaEdwina said:
I didn't realise you had another dog. You have a German Shorthair Pointer? That is a very energetic breed that very much needs a job. I love the breed, I live in the boonies, I walk my young ridgie 3 miles at the crack of dawn, but the GSP has way too much energy for me. You're probably going to have to find agility or field work to keep that dog sane.

Paula
Actually I planned on it - it's what I was gonna do w/ Sam and I am familiar w/ their energy level (by the looks of me I could use some of it myself :oops: ) and I am going to have him a back pack ordered that I'll weigh down on our walks and am currently awaiting response's from a couple of trainers out my way. Even if they can't/don't work w/ this breed I'm hoping they can reccomend a reputable trainer in my area. I didn't plan on getting another one so soon - there's a thread under pictures where I explained how I ended up w/ him. He's a gorgeous boy and SOOOO good w/ the girls (that's the big selling point there) and it's just gonna take us some time to adjust and change tactics a bit from Sam - he definetly doesn't listen like her however he won't respond well to any rough handling either. He is constantly pacing, will hardly lay down -poor baby. I walked him today but I think u r right - I'm thinking about walking the girls to school and back that way he gets his two walks a day and I get some exercise as well. We'll work it all out...

·
Super Moderator
15,983 Posts
Have you tried putting a blanket over his crate. This works for me when
Clara has trouble settling in. And as far as the food on the table is concerned
this is just a given for dogs. I bet almost everyone here has some sort of stolen
food story. I know I have several myself. So tempting for them not to get
those tasty treats. This is definately a training issue and also something that will not
be a problem as he gets more mature - but being a pup, he is going to cave
in to those tempting food smells. :wink: As I have said to others, it gives you a
couple more doggie stories to share. :D Clara does not like to be outside by
herself either. I have to send another dog out with her to babysit her and then
she is happy otherwise I have to go out with her. She cannot stand to be by
herself but when I take her out, she goes right out and does her thing and then
comes right back in. When she wants to run, jump and play, I send the other dogs.
If I did not have the other dogs, I definately would have had to train her to do this
but the other dogs make great "babysitters"
:D

·
Registered
979 Posts
Well I'm a sucker for a GSP. I think besides physical exercise he'll need mental exercise. Maybe a trick book like Dog Tricks For Dummies might help.

I found your thread about getting him. I'm glad you were able to provide a home for him. As for being soon after Sam: the longest I've ever gone after having lost a dog was about a month. I don't plan on trying to replace Amrika though - I still do have three ridgebacks. If I was down to no dogs though I wouldn't last - I can't imagine not having a dog. Goodness knows there are so many out there looking for a home.

Paula

1 - 11 of 11 Posts