Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my little pup Rocco who is almost 5 months is just the craziest little pup ever. I have my 2 other dogs (boxer & a pit/lab mix) every night I like to bring them all in to spend some time with them and any time the other 2 dogs get close to me my little Rocco is all over them to push them out of the way so he can jump up on my lap till they are gone and has even gone as far as attacking my boxer who is a year old and is like a toy for my AB. After they leave he'll jump back down and go about his business. It's not like they are taking the attention away from him, he can be eating or in another room and hear me talking to the other dogs and jet in there to get them away from me. What is the best way to resolve this so that I can spend time with them all at once and without any of them possibly getting hurt?!?!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
75 looks, but no replys...does anyone have advice?!?!? :)

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
First off, it isn't YOU your pup is guarding, you're just another resource. This is not good behavior at all. A horrendous fight can break out over ANY resource guarding and that includes you.
I hope someone else on here can answer this. I'm not very good with it, but for starters I'd give them each time with you out of a crate, while the others are crated. They have to stop the guarding.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
msvette2u said:
First off, it isn't YOU your pup is guarding, you're just another resource. This is not good behavior at all. A horrendous fight can break out over ANY resource guarding and that includes you.
I hope someone else on here can answer this. I'm not very good with it, but for starters I'd give them each time with you out of a crate, while the others are crated. They have to stop the guarding.

Well, I only say it is me because they don't do it with anything else...my son, food, etc...it is only while I am with all of them. They are pretty good at getting along and usually don't have this problem...for example when I feed them my puppy can go and eat out of Shorty's, my boxer, bowl and he will back up and let him with no problems and wait till he is done then Shorty will go ahead and start eating again. So they are very good to eachother, I just seem to have the problem in this one particular area. But I appreciate your response, and I do agree that this is not good behavior and I am worried that a fight could break out between the 2 boys! Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
15,981 Posts
Well first step is to make sure that they all are obedient trained so that you
can tell them to sit, go lay down, etc. Then when Rocco starts his pushing the others away,
you demand that he go sit and lay down and stay. If he cannot do this then crate him.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
They all have to respect you as the Alpha before you can boss them around and keep peace :)
NILIF...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
msvette2u said:
They all have to respect you as the Alpha before you can boss them around and keep peace :)
NILIF...
What is NILIF?!?! :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
426 Posts
SugarBear said:
amber81 said:
msvette2u said:
NILIF...
What is NILIF?!?! :D
http://www.bulldogbreeds.com/discuss/viewtopic.php?t=10528
We started doing this with Kallie and it works great! She was never a bad dog or anything but she would ALWAYS want attention when we were home. If she was on the other side of the room and we were laying on the couch she would run over and jump on the couch with us. We started doing NILIF and she won't jump on the couch unless we call her up. You need to try it. It started working only after a day of us using it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My puppy Is the Same Way

My lil bully is between 5 1/2 and 6 mos old right now. Has the same thing that yours is doing. If my old lab comes to me for affection, the lil one is pushing him away, and using a bump but method to do it. The hair will raise on his back and even though he is playful about it, I have seen him in action. I am afraid that my lil loveable guy is going to be more than we bargainded for. My old black lab is 9 and with lots of arthritis, and I dont want tohe young one to end up hurting him. I cant offer any advice, just a note to say I know what you are going through. Good Luck!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: My puppy Is the Same Way

kathi46 said:
My lil bully is between 5 1/2 and 6 mos old right now. Has the same thing that yours is doing. If my old lab comes to me for affection, the lil one is pushing him away, and using a bump but method to do it. The hair will raise on his back and even though he is playful about it, I have seen him in action. I am afraid that my lil loveable guy is going to be more than we bargainded for. My old black lab is 9 and with lots of arthritis, and I dont want tohe young one to end up hurting him. I cant offer any advice, just a note to say I know what you are going through. Good Luck!
Thanks..and good luck with you as well :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.