Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in hearing more from you english breeders and lovers of the english, but a bully is a bully and I like them all. It seems after looking through the forums when it comes to feeding and soforth everyone has the same questions. look fwd to hearing from you,
Charlie

·
Registered
98 Posts
I LOVE the English Bully, but was scared of the health problems that alot have so I got the next best thing a Olde English Bully. Hes 10 weeks old now and turning into a real Hambone...lol but about your EB I think they are the best looking dogs on the planet :)

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I was the same as TomBully. I kept hearing about all the health problems with EB's, so I also chose to get an Olde. The EB is still my favorite breed though. i am a sucker for that "sourmug." If you do get one (if you don't have one already), you really need to make sure you get one from a reputable breeder.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Well, as you can see the EB is my fav. 2 was better than 1. And now trying to add a little buzz to the hubbies ear that 3 may be even better. I too was afraid of the health issues. I just read up all the time and I deal with what ever comes. But I have not had anything to major yet. I wouldn't trade em for the world. If you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer what I can.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Ever since I was 16 I wanted to have an English Bulldog of my own. I promised myself that I'd get one after I graduated and moved out on my own. Well, I graduated last spring and have been living at my parents house while learning to take over my father's restaurant business while he concentrates on his new ventures. I'm finally moving out to a condo/loft in downtown LA, but I couldn't wait another few months to get a bulldog. So I looked around for reputable breeders and after weeks of searching found one. Among some of the breeder's clientele are Randy Jackson, Paula Abdul, Regina Hall (from the Scary Movie movies), Shannon Elizabeth, Montel Williams (the talk show host), and my favorite, Tom Arnold.

Anyways, my little guy is my pride and joy. And to top things off, one of my best friends got one his sisters. So we have play dates a few times every week. It is so cute watching them play, but I'm a little bummed that his sister always manages to kick his ass. Once I'm completely settled in and Driver is completely housetrained and a little more mature, I'll be getting another EB. Don't know if I want a guy or girl, but I already have names picked out for either one. Birdie if it's a girl and Mulligan (Mully) if it's a boy. As you can see, I am a golf enthusiast. To all you EB owners who completely disregarded the potential health problems of bulldogs when making the decision to get one....kudos to you all. How can anybody say the EB is their favorite breed, but not get one because of its possible health problems? I'm sorry to say it, but that's such a cop out. For me, and I'm sure this holds true for all EB owners, 8-10 years of faithful companionship completely negates any potential health problems a bulldog may acquire.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Driver said:
To all you EB owners who completely disregarded the potential health problems of bulldogs when making the decision to get one....kudos to you all. How can anybody say the EB is their favorite breed, but not get one because of its possible health problems? I'm sorry to say it, but that's such a cop out. For me, and I'm sure this holds true for all EB owners, 8-10 years of faithful companionship completely negates any potential health problems a bulldog may acquire.
Personally, I think people are wise to love from afar but not purchase an EB because of the health problems. It needs to be a well thought out decision before purchasing an EB not only because of the health issues but more importantly the $$$ it costs to care for them and the $$$ it takes when theres health issues. Not everyone can afford this breed and an uninformed person may well purchase one with the best intentions but find there is alot more than they bargained for. Also, people do not realize how much it takes to maintain a healthy EB from cleaning wrinkles to cleaing their little fannies every time they go out.

So I say kudos to those who do their research and decide they truely love the breed but cannot take on the potential issues associated. I truely love my 2 and can say they are quit costly and take alot of my time to keep them healthy. But it's worth everything to me. Thankfully I am fortunate enough to be able to afford them as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Healthy bullies

Those of you who love the english bullies shouldn't vere away from them for such fear of health issues. They shouldn't I repeat shouldn't cost anymore on vet bills then any other breed of dog. It's buying from the right breeder. Except for the cost of delivery of puppies and an occasional cherry eye, which runs in many breeds, I don't spend a thing. Just ask the breeder what kind of health problems run in their lines and maybe ask someone that has already bought a puppy from them how theirs is. I enjoy wonderful healthy bullies, and just couldn't imagine not having them. Just remember, it doesn't cost anymore to buy a quality bully then a pet one from out of the paper. Don't be afraid to contact someone off the internet that has pics of show bullies. These usually are very healthy and from time to time these people will have a young adult or puppy available that just maybe doesn't have quite the right look for showing, and they will place them very reasonable to the right homes, and they have been to handling class and are well socialized wonderful dogs.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I tend to disagree on the $$$ part. Even all the EB clubs/associations/rescues/forums will warn prospective buyers of the $$$ involved with EB's. Believe me, I've done alot of research. My 2 have not had many health issues. Bear had pneumonia when he was 4 1/2 months which was quit costly. After I got him through that he has been healthy as an ox. Molly had cherry eye in both eyes. Though it was not costly, it was a health issue just the same. Now she is doing fine.

Besides the $$$ aspect they do take a lot of extra daily care that others do not. I would hope you would agree with me on that.

Oh well, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. And everyone has their own experiences. I'm glad you have had such great ones. Again, I would not trade mine for the world. They are truely the best.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Welcome to the forum..I love EB's as well! There are good EB breeders out there...you just have to look for them. It took me a few years, but I found an excellent breeder in Florida and couldn't be happier with my Wrecker man! Sadly, many EB breeders put health to the wayside for looks..it's up to us as consumers to boycott the bad breeders and make a change within the trend..if we all started buying healthier EB's, then breeders would start breeding them, etc.... simple economics really.

Anyway, here's my Shrek @ 11 months old...extremely athletic, healthy and happy!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Carrie said:
Welcome to the forum..I love EB's as well! There are good EB breeders out there...you just have to look for them. It took me a few years, but I found an excellent breeder in Florida and couldn't be happier with my Wrecker man! Sadly, many EB breeders put health to the wayside for looks..it's up to us as consumers to boycott the bad breeders and make a change within the trend..if we all started buying healthier EB's, then breeders would start breeding them, etc.... simple economics really.

Anyway, here's my Shrek @ 11 months old...extremely athletic, healthy and happy!

oh wow...Shrek is one tall bully. He's a beauty.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Re: Healthy bullies

bnbbulldogs said:
Those of you who love the english bullies shouldn't vere away from them for such fear of health issues. They shouldn't I repeat shouldn't cost anymore on vet bills then any other breed of dog. It's buying from the right breeder. Except for the cost of delivery of puppies and an occasional cherry eye, which runs in many breeds, I don't spend a thing. Just ask the breeder what kind of health problems run in their lines and maybe ask someone that has already bought a puppy from them how theirs is. I enjoy wonderful healthy bullies, and just couldn't imagine not having them. Just remember, it doesn't cost anymore to buy a quality bully then a pet one from out of the paper. Don't be afraid to contact someone off the internet that has pics of show bullies. These usually are very healthy and from time to time these people will have a young adult or puppy available that just maybe doesn't have quite the right look for showing, and they will place them very reasonable to the right homes, and they have been to handling class and are well socialized wonderful dogs.
My sentiments exactly.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Re: Healthy bullies

bnbbulldogs said:
this is a very interesting point. i had always wanted a bully, but opted against it for fear of pottential vet bills (which by the way in the uk is extortionate!). i always thought they went blind, had breathing difficulties, wieght problems, deafness, bad cherry eye as pups and hip problems! i`d heard it all. but reading what you guys have to say has proved to be an eye opener :) it just goes to show what you can learn from someone elses experience, thanks guys. :D now all i have to do is persuade the wife we need yet another dog :wink:

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
my EB is an absolute doll....she's very energetic, athletic, loyal, and goofy all wrapped up in one goreous little pup.

the $$$ is always an issue in any breed and vets will take you to the cleaners if you let them. my girl is 10 months old now and doing great! we did have an unexplained broken pinky toe ($$$) at 4 months, then she too caught pneumonia at 6 months ($$$), and of course a spay ($$$)..... but all in all, it's what you are willing to do for your beloved pet.... mine is my baby, and i'd walk thru fire for her....

the breeder i got her from is amazing..... so far, we haven't had tear stains or wrinkle infections, no breathing problems, a little snoring when she sleeps deeply but that's it...

she's still young, so who knows what the future brings.....her parents are very strong and healthy as well.....

let me know if you need a breeder, i can give you my breeders info.....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Driver said:
Ever since I was 16 I wanted to have an English Bulldog of my own. I promised myself that I'd get one after I graduated and moved out on my own. Well, I graduated last spring and have been living at my parents house while learning to take over my father's restaurant business while he concentrates on his new ventures. I'm finally moving out to a condo/loft in downtown LA, but I couldn't wait another few months to get a bulldog. So I looked around for reputable breeders and after weeks of searching found one. Among some of the breeder's clientele are Randy Jackson, Paula Abdul, Regina Hall (from the Scary Movie movies), Shannon Elizabeth, Montel Williams (the talk show host), and my favorite, Tom Arnold.

Anyways, my little guy is my pride and joy. And to top things off, one of my best friends got one his sisters. So we have play dates a few times every week. It is so cute watching them play, but I'm a little bummed that his sister always manages to kick his ass. Once I'm completely settled in and Driver is completely housetrained and a little more mature, I'll be getting another EB. Don't know if I want a guy or girl, but I already have names picked out for either one. Birdie if it's a girl and Mulligan (Mully) if it's a boy. As you can see, I am a golf enthusiast. To all you EB owners who completely disregarded the potential health problems of bulldogs when making the decision to get one....kudos to you all. How can anybody say the EB is their favorite breed, but not get one because of its possible health problems? I'm sorry to say it, but that's such a cop out. For me, and I'm sure this holds true for all EB owners, 8-10 years of faithful companionship completely negates any potential health problems a bulldog may acquire.
hey i got my bully from andrea too! which boy did you choose

1 - 15 of 15 Posts