Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...yet proud!

My Atticus was outside today, minding his business, taking his afternoon (large) poop...and the back tenants' Bichon Frise (sp?) and her came walking up. The next thing I know, the BF is attached to his ear (that little F&*% bit him!)...Atticus growled meanly...but that was that...the dog let him go and away they went. She goes "oh, no, did he bite him?". No lady, dogs levitate.

Anyways, proud that my boy didn't tear that little fluffball to bits, but so so embarassed that he got it taken to him by a little Q-Tip.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
:lol: give him a treat for me for being a good baby........I was talking to friend of mine about how laid back Tora is and I said that she is very submissive.......My friend laughed at me and said" NO, she is gracious" :lol: She is very laid back :lol:

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
I wouldn't be embarassed. Many confident dogs that are large in size, often do not view "lapdogs" as threats to their alpha status. Many dogs will look at a little fur ball like that and think "that is not a threat to me" and not bother with it. Rosco is like this. I have had him around a male minature poodle in the past and he doesn't even look at it because he doesn't care. Atticus probably didn't think it was worth it to make a big scene. Now, my guess is if another large, dominant male did something similar at the dog park, his reaction would be MUCH different. That is why I steer clear of dog parks! Accident waiting ot happen!

·
Registered
210 Posts
I do find that a lot of smaller dogs do have a bit of an inferiority complex, especially around larger, stronger dogs- I suppose it's a bit of fear aggression.
I once had a girlfriend who's Scots Terrier loved baiting Pitbulls and Staffies - he was a nightmare to walk with!
Maia has only ever been bitten by Yorkshire Terriers and Whippets, so I avoid them whenever we're out, as well as small Poodles, because I know them to be unpredictable through personal (painful!) experience.

·
Registered
790 Posts
silly.

You know, sometimes, the naivity of some people make me shake my head.

If you allow such inappropriate action and say it on a board many times, without a proper response, many new bulldoggers will think such "training" is appropriate with a pit bull, pit cross, or any bulldog. It is not and I do not know many trainers who think it is.

Even IF you choose to let it socialize, WHY WOULD YOU CHOOSE A DOG PARK WHERE YOU HAVE NO CONTROL? Please don't tell me you have absolute control.

It is THE place for parasites, canine diseases, and where dogs learn bad behavior.

Many AB owerns know that a male AB will "pop" at around 1.5 to 2 years of age, where he will NOT allow any dominant male near him. Before that, he is a big goof that loves everyone. Jecky and hyde. If you choose to ignore this, then you do it at your own free will, knowing what many have said.

Many are surprised that their lovey dovey dog can turn into a monster. You hear it time and time again. Maybe your dog's bulldog traints have been TOTALLY bred out. I hope it has.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Re: silly.

PeterC said:
Many AB owerns know that a male AB will "pop" at around 1.5 to 2 years of age, where he will NOT allow any dominant male near him. Before that, he is a big goof that loves everyone. Jecky and hyde. If you choose to ignore this, then you do it at your own free will, knowing what many have said
One thing I do know in life is that theres very few absolutes when it comes to animials. There are 3 AB's and 4 pitbull types at the dog park by me and all are adult males .Pretty much all they do is chase each other around and play tug of war with ropes. The only problems I've seen have been with the toy dog breeds being snippy.

Theres a 150 pound 4 yr old male bull mastiff that just Lugs around letting the little dogs chew on his neck lol. Maybe hes the dominate male that keeps all the other dogs in line.

·
Registered
790 Posts
so there are 3 ab and 4 pits running around......

Wow. Nice. And all males? Terrific.
No, there are no absolutes. But I doubt this. Perhaps some were pups, adolescents, or byb mixes.

I will tell you this as a FACT.

No descent breeder of AB is going to favor their full grown males running around with strange pit bulls. That is just plain stupid. No there is no absolutes. However, I don't expect to win the lottery today.
If you do find one, PLEASE POST THEIR NAMES. I would like to see this.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Its really odd watching how they all interact and socialize, its pretty consistant.

When a new dog enters the park the dogs run over to the entrance to sniff them.Its about 10 dogs all on one dog sniffing him. The dog lets them sniff then tales off running. Then the dogs go back to what or who they were playing with.

From what I've seen its the same old dogs that go to this park day in and day out.

Have you ever been to a dog park?

·
Registered
790 Posts
yes, I have been to a dog park.

I see things differently, I guess.

I see the training implications of letting the dogs "loose".

For me, a dog has to EARN its freedom and in short spirts. And I want the reward to come from ME, not away from me, as in a dog park.

My dogs are worth a lot of money, time, love, sweat, scars, and tears. I value my dogs. If I value the dogs and the training I have put into the dog, why would I waste it?

I see it like this. Would I let my kids hang around with the skin heads everyday and then expect it to love every person of every nation, creed, and religion? No. As Zig Ziglar said, take care who and what you hang around with, because as sure as day, you will become (slowly) like them. In dogs this is more pronounced. If the dog parks had TOP obedience champions or competitors, I would visit it everyday!!!!!!!!!! Isn't that the reason we go to training classes? BUT you unknowingly sabotage it by bringing the dog to the dog park. What message is that to the dog? In training you say, "I am the reward, Fido. Pay attention to me, at all times." Then you go to a dog park, and say, "go nuts. have fun. get tired. It is an easy way to exercise you.". However, what you are REALLY telling the dog is, "Fido, dogs are WAY more fun than me. They are more interesting. Sometimes, you don't have to listen to me. Go nuts. Have fun. "

Also, ask a vet where he thinks most parasites or canine diseases are contracted. hmmmmm.

I let me pups hang with my female whose only concern is with working (sleeve, tug, ball, suit). the pups learn from her and learn SHE is not fun, but WHAT she has is, the tug.

A dog park is a cop out. REALLY, is it for the dog socialization or the PEOPLE WHO COME TO IT?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Yay for my dog pooping in his yard!!!

Anyways, yes, I am very proud of Atticus for not acting in a different manner. He was so calm, even though he was getting bit by a little piece of fluff. That thing had some teeth, though!!!

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
I Got it Already!

I thought Cinder said his dog was at his home taking a poop when the BF bit him.

I'm very new to the forum, but I've read enough posts to see the various different views people have on this board about dog parks. I think those against dog parks have many valid points but the orginial post had nothing to do with dog parks. When I got my dog, she was 4 weeks old, the breeder died abruptly in a car accident. It was helpful to take her to the dog park when she was young cause I don't have any other dogs and I though she may have missed learning some things from her littlermates. She hasn't been to the dog park in sometime (its not as fun to her as her human friends). But why is it necessary for folks to always jump on the 'dog park' soap box every time someone mentions taking their dog there. I respect and value your opinions and views regarding the parks and its clear that you know what you are talking about but why can't you respect that others take their dogs to the park and they like it? If they've been on the forum long enough and they've done their research, they know the risks involved and they are still willing to risk it. Let them. Get over it already.

As for ankle-biters, Xena ignores them. But it irritates me that when ankle-biters bark and show their butts its cute and acceptable but if my dog did everyone would have a fit. I hate the double standard. I think its cool that your dog didn't react but at the same time, the owner of the BF deserves the finger or a little talking to. lol

·
Registered
14,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: I Got it Already!

Warrior Princess said:
I thought Cinder said his dog was at his home taking a poop when the BF bit him.

As for ankle-biters, Xena ignores them. But it irritates me that when ankle-biters bark and show their butts its cute and acceptable but if my dog did everyone would have a fit. I hate the double standard. I think its cool that your dog didn't react but at the same time, the owner of the BF deserves the finger or a little talking to. lol

Yes, he was in his yard (front). The lady that lives behind us has the BF, and it's a brand new dog (to her). The thing is like 4 years old, and a total jerk. It's obvious she has ZERO knowledge of dogs...when the dog is snarling and showing its teeth, she says "look, he's smiling!!". She still was oblivious to the fact that her dog bit me, like I said, the dog was off the ground!!!! On my dog's ear!

Oh well, one day, if he does it again, he (the BF) might not like the results.

·
Registered
66 Posts

Atticus is such a good boy.

Man Peter... no matter where I turn your telling someone they have bad dogs that should be put down. What gives?

I look at all the pictures of peoples dogs on the site and yours are always attacking.

You know your stuff, no question, but are we all supposed to put down our dogs 'cause we ain't as qualified as you?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Re: yes, I have been to a dog park.

PeterC said:
I see things differently, I guess.

I see the training implications of letting the dogs "loose".

For me, a dog has to EARN its freedom and in short spirts. And I want the reward to come from ME, not away from me, as in a dog park.

My dogs are worth a lot of money, time, love, sweat, scars, and tears. I value my dogs. If I value the dogs and the training I have put into the dog, why would I waste it?

I see it like this. Would I let my kids hang around with the skin heads everyday and then expect it to love every person of every nation, creed, and religion? No. As Zig Ziglar said, take care who and what you hang around with, because as sure as day, you will become (slowly) like them. In dogs this is more pronounced. If the dog parks had TOP obedience champions or competitors, I would visit it everyday!!!!!!!!!! Isn't that the reason we go to training classes? BUT you unknowingly sabotage it by bringing the dog to the dog park. What message is that to the dog? In training you say, "I am the reward, Fido. Pay attention to me, at all times." Then you go to a dog park, and say, "go nuts. have fun. get tired. It is an easy way to exercise you.". However, what you are REALLY telling the dog is, "Fido, dogs are WAY more fun than me. They are more interesting. Sometimes, you don't have to listen to me. Go nuts. Have fun. "

Also, ask a vet where he thinks most parasites or canine diseases are contracted. hmmmmm.

I let me pups hang with my female whose only concern is with working (sleeve, tug, ball, suit). the pups learn from her and learn SHE is not fun, but WHAT she has is, the tug.

A dog park is a cop out. REALLY, is it for the dog socialization or the PEOPLE WHO COME TO IT?
Personally if I had a dog like yours I wouldn't be a happy owner,sleeve tug, pull isn't the reason I purchased a AB. To each his own I guess.

How much exp do you have with dog parks or are you just speaking in theory? or a book you read? I've been working with my pup on simple obedience of which he is good at now regardless of environment. I have no obedience issues
when taking him to dog parks.When I call him hes comes, when I down him he downs regardless of whats going on around him.

I dont see any problems nor have exp problems with my dogs finding pleasure outside of what I provide him.He still prefers his "master" when all is said in done.

Dog parks are for both people and the socalization of dogs that come to it. Common sense would tell you that a majority of sickness comes from contact with others so this means I should avoid contact with anything that may pass me or my dog a sickness?In certain situations I would say yes but I tend not to go to extremes and avoid all contact with people and dogs.

People own dogs for different reasons and if humane, those reasons should be respected.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
yaaahhh good boy! give that boy a treat!

I will never understand the dog park thing myself. It's not your dog you have to worry about it's the other ones. It only takes one good bite and your dog will never let another dog around them! This I know, CC got bit while on a walk, she was on a leash at the time, Now she will not let another dog around her, not pretty. if She had not been on a leash, She would have really hurt the other dog. And being a pit bull, she would have been blamed. I think interaction with other dogs is a bit overrated.
Dogs don't socalize with dog out of their packs, I just don't understand why they should.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts