Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

i'm thinking of sending my 5 month old puppy to in kennel training. the course is 3 weeks.

what are your thoughts on this?

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Do the training yourself!!! You need the training just as much as your dog does! What will happen is the trainer will train your dog and it will respect him or her but not you!! It will come home and most of the training it got will be thrown out the window!! Not only that but training is a LIFETIME thing. You don't just train a dog for 3 weeks and be done with it. Training is forever!!

·
Registered
807 Posts
Lisa said:
Do the training yourself!!! You need the training just as much as your dog does! What will happen is the trainer will train your dog and it will respect him or her but not you!! It will come home and most of the training it got will be thrown out the window!! Not only that but training is a LIFETIME thing. You don't just train a dog for 3 weeks and be done with it. Training is forever!!

I agree, but we did send Chassis for a week out to get some fine tuning out at Butch's. Now she will do every command with little to no corrections. Now of course we have been working with her for 11 months. LOL I think she just needed a week of not being spoiled. :lol: Also we did go see her and work with her 3 times during that week.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
see, i agree but i disagree....

i don't have the time to put in good quality training, even basic obedience..... right now i'm having difficulty with her chewing everything up. even if she has enough chew toys. she's not very good on a leash and is scared of loud noises...... kids in the park, motorcylces, buses, other dogs, etc.

i sent my rott to a school back home and it did a world of good. we continued the training once she was home and we never had any problems with respect.

i just don't know what to do..... :cry:

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
If you don't even have time to do basic OB with your dog then why did you obtain it in the first place? Your dog needs to respect YOU and no one else and quite truthfully I do NOT want my dog taking commands from anyone besides me. I am their leader. As far as the pup chewing up everything, well that's because you give it too much freedom. Buy a crate and keep the pup crated unless you can watch its every move. If the pup is ruining things in your house that is your fault. It is a puppy and that's what puppies do!

she's not very good on a leash and is scared of loud noises...... kids in the park, motorcylces, buses, other dogs, etc.
Not sure what her being scared of things has to do with training. That is a temperament issue due to WEAK NERVES. Training does not get rid of weak nerves! I would be careful with this pup if its afraid of children. Sounds like a fear biter waiting to happen. Be VERY careful with this puppy around children!! Who is the breeder? Did they offer a guarantee for temperament?

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
I would only do this 3 week training thing if you are going with the dog to the training. I don't see the point in having your dog trained by other people without you. You want to be the authority figure in your dogs eyes. You can only accomplish this, in my opinion, if you are the one who issues commands. There is nothing wrong with being trained by professionals of course, that is a great thing, but the owner needs to be trained in addition to the dog.

Crate training is definately the way to go. If you are not supervising the dog and it winds up chewing something, you have no one to blame but yourself. Its not the dogs fault. I think it is a good idea to have a little leash around your dogs neck if it is misbehaving in the house. That way if it starts to chew on something or go to the bathroom on the floor, you can grab it and give them a little tug with a verbal correction. Of course if you do this you cant let them out of your sight because you dont want the leash getting caught on something. I found this effective. In one word, patience. :p

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lisa said:
If you don't even have time to do basic OB with your dog then why did you obtain it in the first place?
quote]

as soon as i typed that i knew you were going to say that..... i guess what i meant to say was i don't know how to train her myself. i do have a crate that she sleeps in only at night.... i leave her outside with our AB during the day so she gets plenty of exercise.

somone mentioned (maybe you) that she has too much freedom. and i think you're right. maybe i should crate her during the day. i just hate for her to be locked up when she has a huge yard to play in.

she's very good about not using the bathroom in the house or chewing up anything when indoors.

although, she will still go in her crate at night. i usually put her up at 10pm, make sure she goes outside and potties before putting her up, yet i often find surprises in the morning. and i let her out early, 6am.

how can i break her bathroom habit in the crate?

i thank you all for your answers!

ps.... with the kids and noises, i think it's b/c she's not used to seeing them. she doesn't seem like she wants to bite, she just hides behind me and ducks.... it's very cute.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
as soon as i typed that i knew you were going to say that..... i guess what i meant to say was i don't know how to train her myself. i do have a crate that she sleeps in only at night.... i leave her outside with our AB during the day so she gets plenty of exercise.

somone mentioned (maybe you) that she has too much freedom. and i think you're right. maybe i should crate her during the day. i just hate for her to be locked up when she has a huge yard to play in.

she's very good about not using the bathroom in the house or chewing up anything when indoors.

although, she will still go in her crate at night. i usually put her up at 10pm, make sure she goes outside and potties before putting her up, yet i often find surprises in the morning. and i let her out early, 6am.

how can i break her bathroom habit in the crate?

i thank you all for your answers!

ps.... with the kids and noises, i think it's b/c she's not used to seeing them. she doesn't seem like she wants to bite, she just hides behind me and ducks.... it's very cute.
If you don't have any experience training dogs then you should really try and find the time to take your dog to a trainer that can train you and your dog. It's the only way to go.

As far as leaving the puppy and other dog out in the yard during the day, BAD IDEA. Never leave dogs together unattended. Especially bully breeds! Accident waiting to happen. What sex is your other dog?

About her eliminating in the crate, how big is the crate? It should only be large enough for the dog to stand up straight and turn around, NO MORE. If there is too much extra space they will often eliminate on one side and sleep in the other but there is the odd dog who will eliminate in a proper sized crate but its not that common.

Regarding your statement about her not being used to kids. Bullsh*t. Hiding behind you is a very bad sign and not "cute" at all! I have no children and my dogs are fine with kids!! Not fearful at all!! Your puppy sounds very fearful and this is not something training will over come. This is in the genetics! A sound, stable puppy with good nerves will want to investigate new things not run away or hide from them! Be very careful with this puppy, it sounds like a fear biter waiting to happen!! I am SERIOUS!!

Did you get this puppy from a backyard breeder? Did you get a guarantee?

·
Registered
790 Posts
At least you know you need training and willing to pay for it. Hey, that is better than 99% of owners. Hats off to you.However, the dog does not need the training. His part is small compared to the lessons YOU need to learn. It is YOUR behavior that dictates the dog's behavior.

YOu remember that show "barbara woodhouse" training? She made most of the owners look like idiots? Man, I loved that show for basic training for pets.

Anyways, REALLY, if you cannot train YOUR OWN dog and do not have TIME to learn, you should not have a dog. Why? Training is 5 minutes a day. If you say you cannot afford that time.........well, that is a cop out.

Training your dogs in OB IS THE JOY OF HAVING A DOG. It is what builds your bonds. Done incorrectly, it breaks bonds. Done correctly, your dogs should go INSANE to do OB! It is reward time!!!!!!!!

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wow... i kinda sound like a loser when it comes to training my pup....

i got her from a reputable breeder with a guarantee, both parents were on the premises.... and yes, she was a spontaneous buy.

she does know sit, stay, come, no, back down stairs...... she always pees on command too. i just feel she needs extensive training but maybe not. i love her like no tomorrow and she is treated like royalty. i agree with Lisa (forgive me if i get the names wrong) that she has too much freedom. we usually keep her out in the evening...... but all this is going to change. TONIGHT.... she'll get a good warm bath and stay crated during the days.

as for kids again, we have a 9 year old and she's great with him. when we took her to the park last weekend it was her first major outing. i just figured she was not used to all the people and kids in one area with a lot of noise. i still feel that way.

she is VERY curious, and she loves to climb. and climb and climb. i think she's part billy goat. :lol: i've never seen a dog climb as much as her.

her crate is much bigger for her but i have the ability to make it smaller, so i will try that when i get home.

as for the 5 minutes a day, YOU ARE RIGHT, it's just 5 minutes.

i know i have something else to add but i have forgotten :roll:

i really appreciate all the tips and ideas that you have given me..... thanks :D

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
snarky said:
No, you are here to learn like everyone else and that is awesome. You sound like you really want to learn the right way to do things. Nobody really knows the correct things to do at first. I know I didnt. Thankfully there were places like this for me to learn.

Pups having too much freedom can cause alot problems. I keep my pup out all of the time when I am home and always have, but I watch her like a hawk and make sure she doesnt do anything she isnt supposed to. Now I feel like I dont even have to because she is so well behaved, but I would never acrtually leave her unsupervised. Remember, never use the crate as punishment, it should be their place to feel safe.

Like Lisa said, just be careful with the being afraid of kids thing. Work with her to help to try and get over it. My pup was a bit spooked by loud noises before but I worked with her, making loud, unexpected noises and making her face them. Whatever spooked her I would make her face. Loud noises may make her jump every once in a while, but she wont run away, hide behind me or anything like that. She will immediately go investigate. I would never let her hide behind me or run away if she tried. In my opinion, one of the most dangerous things is a fearful dog.

·
Registered
790 Posts
snarky.....

I repeat. YOu are better than 99% of owners. At least you are smart enough to realize you need training! That is what RESPONSIBLE ownership is all about.

If only all bully owners were as self contious, we would not face ANY BSL.

Just remember............weiners are a dog's best friend. Not hugs and kisses. :wink:

Time, patience, love and kindness. So simple.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Re: snarky.....

PeterC said:
Just remember............weiners are a dog's best friend. Not hugs and kisses. :wink:
Haha, very true. Hugs and kisses do more for us humans than our dogs. Not that affection isnt good but food definately is a better motivator.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
snarky said:

i got her from a reputable breeder with a guarantee, both parents were on the premises.... and yes, she was a spontaneous buy.

she does know sit, stay, come, no, back down stairs...... she always pees on command too. i just feel she needs extensive training but maybe not. i love her like no tomorrow and she is treated like royalty. i agree with Lisa (forgive me if i get the names wrong) that she has too much freedom. we usually keep her out in the evening...... but all this is going to change. TONIGHT.... she'll get a good warm bath and stay crated during the days.

as for kids again, we have a 9 year old and she's great with him. when we took her to the park last weekend it was her first major outing. i just figured she was not used to all the people and kids in one area with a lot of noise. i still feel that way.

she is VERY curious, and she loves to climb. and climb and climb. i think she's part billy goat. :lol: i've never seen a dog climb as much as her.

her crate is much bigger for her but i have the ability to make it smaller, so i will try that when i get home.

as for the 5 minutes a day, YOU ARE RIGHT, it's just 5 minutes.

i know i have something else to add but i have forgotten :roll:

i really appreciate all the tips and ideas that you have given me..... thanks :D
I echo everyone elses sentiments about wanting to get your dog trained. That is a good thing as long as you get trained as well!

However, that being said I disagree with you about the kid thing. You also said:

....scared of loud noises...... kids in the park, motorcylces, buses, other dogs, etc
It sounds like she is afraid of alot more than kids. Being "not used to things" is not a reason to be fearful. A dog or puppy with good strong nerve should be much more outgoing and wanting to investigate new things. Wanting to climb is totally different. where is she wanting to climb? At home where there is no STRESS? It seems your puppy cannot handle stress and that is a very bad thing even for a pet!! Not handling stress well is bad nerves! Genetic!! Being fearful is dangerous because these types of dogs are unpredictable!! Please do not let your guard down with this puppy. If you don't have the heart to bring her back and get a replacement you may be able to condition her somewhat with ALOT of work but you will only be masking the problem. Did you interact with the pups parents at all? If so, did you get to see them off of their home turf (their comfort zone)?

I understand TOTALLY about becoming attached to animals! I get VERY attached. Just please exercise extreme caution with your puppy. NEVER leave it unattended with your 9 year old and I strongly suggest teaching your child manners when it comes with dealing with the puppy. Children must respect dogs and when you have a dog that is fearful and with weak nerves this is especially importnat because the child may inadvertantly startle or scare the dog and BAM next thing you know its lashing out because of fear. This is what happens with fearful dogs!!

Here is an article that I REALLY think you should read. It talks about the importance about good nerves. Keep in mind this article is written with the German Shepherd dog in mind but almost the entire article can be related to the AB as well!

http://www.dogstuff.info/elements_of_temperament_nerves.html

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I agree with Lisa and Peter here. Do the right thing train the dog and do it yourself and both of you shall learn soemthing. Training isnt always a job it can be fun and enjoyable
But i must say Weak nerve is there to stay it is genetic most of the time. You can condition it but it will creep back up on ya :?

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Kids

Yeah I agree i would be careful with kids both mine have no fear of noises even jets fly low over the house and all they do is look up and watch them out of couruoty They are usually cautonuos at first but they alway have to so over slowly and investagate whatever new noise they hear they never get startled. If you startle a dog for instance stay in was night time and your child ran into your room and startled the dog he would snap out of fear and thats not good so I would be careful

·
Registered
22 Posts
I wouldn't waist the money on in kennel training. Instead you may want to hire a trainer to come out to your house and teach you how to train you dog. I did this and it was very rewarding and not any more expesive than in kennel training. Sometime it is hard to know the best way to get a dog to do a command and the trainer will come in to your environment and give you tips. Expecially if you are failing in an area and don't know what to do. There is nothing wrong with saying that as long as your are trying to find the appropriate way. It just helps the training go along a little faster and the tips that they give you will help you train them to do anything that you want them to do. It is actually more you getting the training than the dog.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks!

thanks again everyone. :D

i'm trying some new things to help our situation. i'm crating her during the day, letting her out at noon to pee and then back in the crate and out at 5pm....

we are doing training ourselves for the past 2 days and she's learning rather quickly.

how do i determine how fearful she is??? for example, when i take her for a walk, she's only afraid of buses and motorcycles (like i said before). so this means she's fearful?

also, she likes to watch tv, but when loud or strange noises come on, she barks or she walks backwards into the kitchen. is this fearful? and fearful in a bad way?

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Snarky. Did you read that article I posted? If you did, it would probably answer all your questions.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts