Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about Ajax today, he belonged to my friend, Officer Phil Howell (pictured below) with the Put-in-Bay police. (Near where I am from.) So I did some browsing on the web, and was really touched by the memorial for Ajax, and other fallen K-9 officers.

It's not listed in the article, but Ajax died in the line of duty... he was sniffing out drugs on the island, and someone had something toxic (more toxic than illicit drugs) mixed in with the cocaine. Ajax basically ingested poison and passed away. "Alex" has now taken his position, but will never quite replace Ajax.

I knew this dog personally, I've been to his home, and played with him. It was a great honor to have known him.

Rest sweetly in heaven, Ajax. (1995-2001)

(courtesy of: http://members.dandy.net/~lulu//mem2001-13.html -- Ajax is the second dog on this page.)

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
That was really great...sad but great! Its good to know how these dogs are respected valued members of the force as well as at home! Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah... kind of fills your heart with pride to see how they were honored like true soldiers. He was a good dog, I was really sad when he passed on. Phil was utterly crushed. Every time I see him now, I always wonder if he still hurts a little each day. They were best friends. I'm sure "Alex" is awesome too. I will be heading up there within the next few weeks. I'll be sure to ask him how Alex is doing and update!

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
That is very touching. Its nice to see how respected they are, because they deserve it! I can only imagine what it was like for your friend to lose his partner. :cry:

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
I am crying like a baby....That hits two major soft spots for me soldiers ( I lump police & fireman into this cat.) and dogs!!! You must feel honored to have known two officers with such integrity, devotion .. Good luck with the new baby and sorry for your and yours tragic loss..:crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby:

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will probably see Phil more once the weather warms up, and I will definitely ask how his new partner is doing. He took so much pride in Ajax, so I would imagine that Alex is just as spoiled! If I am lucky, I might catch them on duty and snap a few pics!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts