Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buster has a personal space issue. Every time I sit or lie down, I get Buster's big ol' noggin up in my face. When I lie down, he stands over me. When I'm sitting trying to do something simple (like use the restroom, or tie my shoes), he sticks his head in my lap and makes things difficult. (You try tying your shoes with a giant bulldog skull in your lap!) He's generally a very well behaved dog, and listens in all other circumstances, but I see this as a sign of disrespect/dominance. Am I reading too much into it?

·
Super Moderator
15,970 Posts
I see it as he just LOVES you and just has to be totally touching you
or he is not happy.
:love4:

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Chopper does this to my husband. It really irritates him, as much as he loves Chops. We try to watch TV and Chopper has to put his face right in Scott's face! My husband has to keep pushing him away. Sorry, I don't have any answers as to why they do this, but if anyone else has any ideas I'd love to hear them, too! Maybe Pat's right, maybe it's just love.....

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Isn't this the same thing Sugar was doing? I guess you could always find something to distract him, but I think he just wuvs you SO MUCH! :love2:

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
Honestly, I don't think it's a dominance issue. You are his pack leader and he wants to be everywhere you are. You can claim your space, as pack leaders do, by gently pushing away and saying a stern NO.

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
LuvaBULL said:
Isn't this the same thing Sugar was doing? I guess you could always find something to distract him, but I think he just wuvs you SO MUCH! :love2:
I don't feel it is. Sugar was acting in a jealous manner, and while I cannot speak for augrad, I can say that this is not the case with Chopper.

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No - he's not doing it in a jealous manner. Unfortunately, giving Buster a gentle push does absolutely no good. :lol:

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
LuvaBULL said:
Yup! The bed and bolting out the door when we leave isn't an issue anymore. It only took a few corrections with the pinch and she knew that I meant what I said. I swear she is "too" smart sometimes. It is quite frightening! We still have the "personal space" issue. Sugar is doing EXACTLY what Buster is doing. She stands over me when I am on the floor with the kids and gets all up in my face when I am changing a diaper of doing anything that doesn't involve her. I love her to pieces but sometimes I just want her to leave me alone.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
augrad said:
No - he's not doing it in a jealous manner. Unfortunately, giving Buster a gentle push does absolutely no good. :lol:
I really don't think is was jealousy. I think it was that she wanted to be involved in everything all the time. I think that jealousy may not be the right word for it. It wasn't like she didn't want me to pay attention to the kids it was like she wanted to be involved in the attention giving. The push....LOL she just looks me in the face and comes back for more.

·
Banned
1,365 Posts
Boss Hog always has his meat head in the way as well...with a little snort followed by a snot..

lol..
e

·
Registered
932 Posts
Patch has these 'issues' too. If i fall asleep on the lounge watching tv.... i will be woken in about 5 seconds with Patch jumping up onto me, licking my face.
Even when i go to the bathroom... he will follow me in there......

it's very cute they want to be near us all the time... but i agree, it can get a little annoying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
426 Posts
We have the same problems with Kallie...always has to be right next to us. We'll be laying on the couch and she'll jump right up and wedge herself next to us. I agree it does get annoying sometimes. We've started to push her away and tell her no when we are trying to spend time without her and by doing it just this weekend she's understood not to jump on us or whatever until we call her up on the couch.

With Buster putting his head in your lap when your tying you shoes may be a way of him telling you he wants to go outside or go with you. I know the moment Kallie sees one of us putting shoes on she goes crazy b/c she associates that with us letting her outside.

·
Registered
790 Posts
sometimes a dog just wants to be near you. For a dog, the closest it can get is in your face. Some bulldogs are very needy. That is cool.

I do not think it is a dominace thing. Trust me. If it is a dominace stance, you will be able to tell.

Some dogs stare right in the eye like a border collie. Typically, this type of dog does well in OB. So, go for it. Train it. Sounds like he has promise.

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
PeterC said:
sometimes a dog just wants to be near you. For a dog, the closest it can get is in your face. Some bulldogs are very needy. That is cool.

I do not think it is a dominace thing. Trust me. If it is a dominace stance, you will be able to tell.

Some dogs stare right in the eye like a border collie. Typically, this type of dog does well in OB. So, go for it. Train it. Sounds like he has promise.
So, Peter, eye contact in a dog is not neccessarily a dominance issue then? Chopper makes tons of eye contact and although he is a dominant SOB, I don't feel his eye contact is always him challenging.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have found confident dogs will make far more eye contact than less confident dogs.
it's not dominace..it's just interest.
as for heads in the way..watching tv is a fine art here..if it's not bodies between you & the tv , it's huge heads on your chest.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Kasco said:
PeterC said:

So, Peter, eye contact in a dog is not neccessarily a dominance issue then? Chopper makes tons of eye contact and although he is a dominant SOB, I don't feel his eye contact is always him challenging.
No, not always. Sometimes you have to read a dog correctly. A dominance stare is usually followed by a bite or follow through. My case in point, the border collie. They stare at you non stop. Why. Is it dominance. I don't think so. It is basically asking for "what do we do now?" "I want attention. What do you want me to do now?" This is a good thing.

·
Registered
278 Posts
the BIG&thelittle said:
I have found confident dogs will make far more eye contact than less confident dogs.
it's not dominace..it's just interest.
as for heads in the way..watching tv is a fine art here..if it's not bodies between you & the tv , it's huge heads on your chest.

That last photo is so cute....he/she looks like a big cuddely bear....
That's sweet :love5:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts