Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are four foods made by the same manufacturer. In your opinion which is better for a four (4) month old AB? So far, he shows no signs of allergies.

- Innova Dry
- Innova Dry Large Breed
- Innova EVO
- California Natural

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
ZeldasMom said:
Here are four foods made by the same manufacturer. In your opinion which is better for a four (4) month old AB? So far, he shows no signs of allergies.

- Innova Dry
- Innova Dry Large Breed
- Innova EVO
- California Natural
I think Innova Dry, Large breed and EVO have alot more protein. For a dog that young you might want to keep the level of protein down, just so they don't grow to fast. California Natural is also good too.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He is an extremely hyper/spastic pup. My vet recommended switching his food and if that doesn't work then try giving him Prozac. I really don't want to do that.

I thought the large breed would have less protein. I guess not. I just want him on a really really good food. I have him on Nutro Natural Balance right now and it's not working so great. He poo's about seven times a day... very manly poo's... and they are horribly stinky. And he has bad gas. Vet thought switching the food might work.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Holy crap :shock: , 7 poops a day IS NOT NORMAL, that would be hard you the shovel and your back. :lol:

I'm pretty sure the large breed has more protein, but just check it and get the one with the less.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I know... nasty stuff to pick up! And it wouldn't be that bad if he would do it in one place. Nopes he actually walks and poo's at the same time. So gross! So you definitely think going that many times a day is not normal? Found out he has a UTI too. He's on Clavamox now. I really need to switch his food. Less poo's is what I'm praying for!

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
ZeldasMom said:
Yeah I know... nasty stuff to pick up! And it wouldn't be that bad if he would do it in one place. Nopes he actually walks and poo's at the same time. So gross! So you definitely think going that many times a day is not normal? Found out he has a UTI too. He's on Clavamox now. I really need to switch his food. Less poo's is what I'm praying for!
Yeah that must poop is WAY to much, My dogs even at pups didn't go more then 3 times a day, now she goes once a day usually.

Lucy has been on Clavamox for 2 months now :( She goes in today to see if she has kidney stones or something, we just can't get rid of this infection. poor girl :(

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Definitely not Evo. I spoke with an Innova rep over the phone about it and they do not recommend it for a large breed pup under 1 year old due to its very high protein content.

You can feed Innova Dog (the green bag) in modified amounts. I have the information somewhere, I'll see if I can find it and link it.

California Natural is very good as well if you want something that is simple and not as rich as the others. Some dogs have a hard time with the richness of some of the high end kibbles.

The Innova Large breed I'm not sure about. I believe it's higher in calories, in which case I think you'd be better off with the regular Innova Dog or the California Natural.

Let me dig around for the stuff Innova sent me on all of this.

edit: also with the pooping, have you taken a stool sample to your vet to check for worms and/or coccidia?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I donot reccomend the Evo either..my moms dogs were on it for a time and just prioor to going on it one had blood tests and she was normal, 6 months later when she had surgery she was tested again..kidney and liver finctions were on the hig side. We took her off the food and had her tested 2 weeks later, she was back to normal.

·
Registered
107 Posts
she is feeding them Nature's Variety kibble. I suggested it as I feed that to my dog, as well as their frozen raw food. This has been the only food my dog has been able to tolerate with her sensitive stomache, all th eother ones gave her loose stools. She tried Innova, Wellness, Canidae..but this seems to work well for her and her coatis shiny and mucle tone is good.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm sorry, someone asked if I have had Zoro's stool checked. I actually just did that on Wednesday. The vet said she found unactive traces of Giardia, but that she wasn't alarmed. I don't know what that is, but she said it's contagious to other dogs and humans. :cry:

·
Registered
107 Posts
giadia is a parasite that you get from drinking water usually..I would think they would want to treat it :?: ..maybe others know somethig about the unactive part.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
sfbullygirl said:
she is feeding them Nature's Variety kibble. I suggested it as I feed that to my dog, as well as their frozen raw food. This has been the only food my dog has been able to tolerate with her sensitive stomache, all th eother ones gave her loose stools. She tried Innova, Wellness, Canidae..but this seems to work well for her and her coatis shiny and mucle tone is good.
We're feeding Bella and remy Nature's Variety kibble, and we're interested in doing a rotation with the frozen raw patties/medallions. Do you feed kibble and raw in different meals? I asked the girl who works at the pet store what she does, and she said she just mixes half and half in the same meal. I asked her about digestion rates, and she replied, "Oh, I didn't really think about that!"

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Evo is high in protien at 42% but the others have the typical amounts of protien about 24-25%. I believe all the foods you listed are great quality, however some dogs are known to have trouble with the Innova dry (loose stools-I had to take Rosco off of it for that reason). I know alot of people worry about the protein content of the EVO so what I do is feed it only part of the time..or sometimes I will mix it with the other kibble. Just an idea if you are worried about that aspect but want to bump up the protein levels a bit.

Here is the link to the Natura Pet website. It has all the info you need to know regarding nutritional content etc.

http://www.naturapet.com/display.php?d=inn-home

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Lisa. I actually went to their website and printed off the ingredients for all the foods but I'm still confused by which one to try. I don't want him to grow too fast, since he already is. He's four months and is 52lbs already. I definitely want to stay away from loose stools because that's what he has now. I would love something that would slow his pooping problems down a lot.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
ZeldasMom said:
Thanks Lisa. I actually went to their website and printed off the ingredients for all the foods but I'm still confused by which one to try. I don't want him to grow too fast, since he already is. He's four months and is 52lbs already. I definitely want to stay away from loose stools because that's what he has now. I would love something that would slow his pooping problems down a lot.

RAW food, he won't poop NEARLY as much!!!! :D Lucy poops like like 4 little nuggets a day that is it, and it doesn't smell!

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
ZeldasMom said:
Rosco is the type of dog that gets loose stools quite easily and the one dry food I have found that he doesn't seem to have trouble with is the Wellness Super 5 mix. It is also a high quality food. Here is their link.

http://www.omhpet.com/

1 - 20 of 22 Posts