Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

Introducing BanterBull

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  ultimatek9 
#1 ·
Well, it looks like BanterBulls 2 year young Bully is coming to live with me :D l'm terribly excited, & I'm going to use the time until his arrival to learn as much as I can about training deaf dogs.
Shawn mentioned I should have in my mind what the pack heirchy will be, so that I may enforce it to help smooth the ranks. How on earth do I decide who gets to be "top dog"? Harley & Bully are almost exactly the same age which should work out perfect. I would imagine Bully will have the weight advantage, since he's the male. Also, there is is hearing impairment to consider. Should the fact that Harley was here first come into play at all? Once they start playing rough, which I'm sure will happen, will it be more difficult for them to accept what I've decreed if the weaker dog is supposed to be alpha? I'd love to hear your opinions on this.
Also, I plan to introduce them at a neutral location, there's a fully fenced in park that is always deserted that should work nicely.
Any other advice ideas, whatever would be greatly appreciated!
I'm going to get the book "Living With a Deaf Dog" by Susan Cope Becker. Has anyone ever heard of her?

Discussion starter · #6 ·
I probably should have posted, I'm told Bully is aggressive with dogs outside his pack, Harley has always been submissive (although slightly less so on her home turf). I'm also told Bully can get "upset" when the other dog(s) seek attention/ affection. This is the part I'm really concerned with. Harley is always at my feet, and receives a lot of attention. I have plenty of love for them both, but some advice on how to handle it if this crops up would help.

Discussion starter · #8 ·
Maternal is not a word I would use to describe Harely, hopefully she might get that way. She was spayed young, so that may play a part. I think she may never have even had her first heat. (I'm guessing here) Her nipples never descended.
I was thinking maybe I could use a little Cesar Millan methodology & feed or otherwise reward whoever is in the most calm-submissive state of mind first. I just read a post by ultimateK9 suggesting (s)he uses that method.
"you never get a second chance to make a first impression" Why am I so afraid I'm gonna screw this up?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.