Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First a little background. Daisy, our Staffy is 9 months old. From the time she was 3 1/2 months until 8 months we all lived at my in-laws house while our house was being remodeled. So she views their house as hers. 2 weeks ago my brother and sister -in-law moved back from AZ and into my in-laws house. They brought their dog with them. She is a very timid dog and really only interactes with them. From the time Daisy met her the first time she tried to engage her and get her to play. When that did not work (the other dog just stands there) she grabbed her coller and started pulling her around. :twisted: I stopped her, but ever since then whenever Daisy sees her she tries to do it. My in-laws watched Daisy this weekend while we were out of town and when I picked her up today my mother in-law said that I nede to teach Daisy to play gently with the other dog. I am at a loss...I know that Daisy may not get along with all dogs but she has never had an issue like this before. Is she being agressive? Or just playing? Is there a way to teach her to play more gently or do I just have to keep her seperate from the other dog? As a side note, she plays with my mom's 2 dogs just fine but they also put her in her place is need be. HELP!

·
Agent Squint
3,627 Posts
Keep her away from the lazy dog that doesn't like to play. As long as she gets along with the other dogs fine, that's all that matters.

~S

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
I completely agree that she should be kept away from the other dog or possibly on leash while around the other dog. If not, it may create hard feelings with your family. I really don't know if it's possible to teach a dog to play nicely with other dogs. She probably thinks she's being perfectly nice to the other dog. They have completely diferent rules and rituals when engaging in a game than people do. I think it works to teach them to play gently with people because they understand that we are completely diferent from them. But if she's not being "mean" to the other dog, she will not understand why you are trying to change her game.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your replies. That is what I thought but I figured it would not hurt to ask. I think the worst part about it all is that Daisy has become like a member of the family and now that there is a "new kid" in town she will have to stay home while we go visit. :cry:

·
Agent Squint
4,225 Posts
You could try keeping her on the leash at visits and corrrecting her when she goes near the lazy dog, quick jerk on the leash and OFF! in a stern voice and stronge eye contact, you may need to use a water pistol (i use a plastic can with coins in and shake it, but its not good now when we walk pass some1 collecting for charity LOL!) to distract her, if she is intent on grabbing the other dog's collar.

Just my view.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts