Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi...I'm the proud new mom of Rocketman, aka, Rocket, a 16 week old pure white, deaf American bulldog. I also have an 8 month old beagle, 2 cats, assorted fish (including a reef tank) and 4 kids. I've previously owned an AB, and my husband has previously owned 2 ABs (one he adopted when it was older...she passed away of old age. the other he lost to his ex-wife in their divorce :( ).

So far, training with Rocket is going well. I'm teaching him basic signs (sit, down) and he's learned to come find me when he feels me thump on the floor. The hardest thing to teach a deaf dog is no...it has to be mostly done with body language. He's great with my kids and we're so happy to have him. We werent' told when we got him that he was deaf, but it's not a big deal. We'll manage!

Look forward to posting more and reading about everyone's wonderful bullies!

·
Banned
3,926 Posts
sounds like your got a great dog and a evern bigger heart ..codos to you and your family your good people and that rare now adays ... :wink: rocket could not have a better mother ever !

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Congratulations on your new pup, and welcome to the forum. I'm looking forward to see some pics of Rocket. :D

·
Banned
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the warm welcome! I'll post some pics as soon as I can get my furbabies to stay still :lol: Daisy, our Beagle, has been showing Rocket who's boss around here...I wonder how long that will last, considering Rocket will be HUGE compared to her! My inlaws have a female English bulldog and she is in love with Rocket...she came over to play yesterday and I think he was a little overwhelmed...and worn out...they literally ran around the back yard for 2 hours :)

I'll try to get some pics of them today...I'd love to see pics of yours, too!

·
Banned
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I posted these on another thread, but I'll post them here, too... :D

Enjoy! :)

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
:D I saw these on the photos thread, but don't remember if I replied. He's GORGEOUS!!!!! Your beagle will teach him lots and lots. Cute bunch ya' got there!

·
Registered
39 Posts
rocket is beautiful, i'm glad he found a good home.... not many people care for those with disabillities least of all dogs......
my mum is deaf so we have trained loco using sign language so my mum can communicate with him........
its brilliant to see.... as you say its all in the body language and facial expressions.
i wish you all the best with training him though it sounds as though you'll not have any problems.
x
www.crazy4loco.piczo.com

·
Banned
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Ellie! Loco is gorgeous! And Snowy is pretty cute too :D

I am fortunate that in my last year teaching, I worked with a teacher who was fluent in sign language...when she would speak to her students, she always did sign language as well. By the end of the school year, most of the students were VERY well versed in sign language, and I was too! Sign language is also great to use with babies...my son could do the signs for "more", "milk" and "up" by the time he was 10 months old. It really helps cut down on the frustration babies feel when they can't communicate their needs :D

So far Rocket is doing wonderfully...he's very eager to please, so that helps a lot. The biggest thing is trying to make sure he looks at me when I need him to...if he's very excited, it's hard to get his attention...I'm sure it will get easier when he's a little older, and doesn't have as much of that 'puppy energy' :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts