Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi:
Just wondering if anyone had any problems this past 4th of July holiday with their dogs being fearful of the fireworks?
Mine were scared to death. I am sooooo thankful the holiday is behind us. Now, I am preparing for next year.
I went to Strawberries the following day and purchased a few CD's. One was a relaxation tape "Thunder and rain storm" (because my dogs are also fearful of thunder storms) and the other one was a CD that had 250 different sounds from airplanes, bombs, door bells, weed wackers, fire truck sounds, fire works, babies crying, etc...
I have begun to play the CD's very softly every day increasing the sound just a bit. I am hoping to desensitize the dogs to these sounds.
Does anyone have any other idea's to get their dogs over fear of loud noises? :?: :?: :?:
Sue

·
Registered
269 Posts
On the 4th, someone lit off a bomb in the backyard and Zeus never even flinched. He was very sensitive to loud noises when he was younger. We have a lot of construction in our neighborhood and he would freak-out if we went down the block with hammering. I walked him down that block everyday and ignored his fear. We can vacuum or do anything with noise and he just looks, but doesn't sweat it.

Simply continue to expose your dogs to loud noises (all kinds) and be certain to act calm and ignore their fear. People make the mistake of saying, "It's OK" when the dog gets scared, which just nurtures that state of mind.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Shelby tried to eat them and attack them, and Koda ran away from them. We ended up having to put Koda back in the house, and when we came in he was hiding under the kitchen table. I know some people would consider this as being a "weak nerved" dog, but he's still a pup, so I don't expect him to be superman! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.