Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wanted to know if dogs grow out of digging up the garden?

nelson is 10mths now and still seems to be trying to help us irrigate our lawns by digging huge craters in the lawn. i came home from work yesterday and there was a new crater.

my bf planted a plant in our garden jsut to test it out and nelson dug it up the next day we were at work. we have a new house so we were thinking maybe we should hold off doing the back garden until nelson grows out of digging everyhing up. but the question is, will he grow out of it? or how should we do this? when he gets older and we plant plants in the planters will he still dig them up because they're new and he hasnt' seen them before? or should we plant the garden now and put up wire fencing (even tho i KNOW he'll get thru the fencing and cost us hundreds of dollars worth of new plants).

any suggestions? what did you do?

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Dogs dig for several reasons. Some dig because they're bored; some dig because that's what they were bred to do; some dig because something smells and tastes reeeeeally good in the earth. You can train Nelson to dig in a certain area of the yard, but your best bet is to make sure that he's thoroughly physically and mentally exercised. Do you leave him outside while you're not at home?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes we leave him outside. can't leave him inside coz i''m afraid of what he'll damage. we leave him outside not crated because i'm not at home for about 9hrs a day from when i leave for wk til i get home. are ab's bread to dig? so i have to give him a special place to dig? what if i dont' want him to dig? to be honest my yards just not big enuf to find him a nice spot to dig. i have grass or planters everwhere or pavers. he gets walkies everyday when i come home from work but he's such a puppy. i'll take him for a walk to the park about 5mins, i'll throw his toy around and he'll chase it for about 20mins, we'll run a lap of the park (for my exercise too ;) ) that takes about 10mins, and then walk home another 5mins. when we get home he'll be completely puffed out and collapse on the floor for a rest for about 20mins then mope about for about 30mins and then he'll be full of beans again play growling and nudging me wanting me to chase him around the living room. i can't ware him our so i don't thnk it matters how much exercise he gets.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Philo does the same, she loves to dig all the dirt out of the planter boxes and sit in them. Not too mention the holes in the lawn.

I started putting her poo in the area she digs and cover it back up, I got this tip from her dog trainer. It has actually been very helpful.

Now for a garden situation I don't know if you are willing to do that, but it has worked for us.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
havoc

I just love that name! Why didn't I think of that? Probably cuz I didn't know her personality then. She's eaten shoes, slippers, remotes, a vaccuum, my cell, my couch, the back yard fence, .... need I go on? Anyway, great name. I Love It!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.