Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I REALLY need to plant some grass in my backyard because there is NONE left. The dogs have worn away the entire backyard to nothing but dirt and mud. And it's a nice sized backyard too, they just run THAT much. Anyway, everyone keeps telling me that planting grass is futile, and it will never grow back as long as they are still running on it. But darn it, I'm gonna TRY. I hate seeing everyone's yard all lush and green, then looking out my back window and seeing MUD.

So I am going to try planting grass today. My question is, if I use fertilizer and the dogs run on it, is that bad for them? Can they get sick from it?

·
Registered
203 Posts
FERTILIZERS: Make sure your pets do not go on lawns or in gardens treated with fertilizers, herbicides or insecticides until the time listed on the label by the manufacturer. If you are uncertain about the usage of any product, contact the manufacturer for clarification before using it. Always store pesticides, fertilizers, and herbicides in areas that are inaccessible to your pets. The most serious problems resulting from fertilizer ingestion in pets is usually due to the presence of metals. For instance, depending on the amount ingested, an iron toxicity could occur. Iron can cause severe gastrointestinal upset and could result in multi-organ damage. Also, ingestion of large amounts of fertilizer could cause severe gastric upset and possibly gastrointestinal obstruction.

http://www.thepetcenter.com/wai/poi_LG.html

Good luck with that grass, you gonna need it. :lol:

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks... I guess I'll just plant LOTS of grass seed. I'm bound to get SOME growth, you'd think. Anything is better than the mud hole I see now. Maybe I should just buy a big kennel for them, so my grass can grow. I would just hate taking away the joy they have running around the yard.

·
Registered
703 Posts
As far as fertilizer I believe the only thing that would be ok to use around animals would be manure. Also I do know there is a type of grass that is very steardy I just can't remember what it is called most golf ranges use it in their ruffs. Good luck on your project!

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
personally, if you aren't going to fence off the seeded section for about half the summer so the grass can establish itself, you are wasting your time. even if you sod, which is my preferance as it is a little less "tender", you would have to let it set up for a good 4-6 weeks..as for the fertilizer, yes bad for dogs and you can't fertilize fresh grass seed for awhile anyway.
interlock is nice :thumbleft:

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
even established grass, as you know, takes a beating with the dogs around :grommit: every summer i take one section (say 10x20) in my yard and try and fortify it. airate, seed , fertilize ect. i do fence it (decoratively :lol: ) and the dogs aren't allowed there (ya, RIGHT) i still have decent grass, good coverage and in most spots it is fairly thick.
again, interlock is nice AND you could sell the lawnmower :lol:

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I fenced off an area with kennel fencing to grow grass. If you want it to have a chance at all you have to keep the dogs off it while it until it matures. Fescue is thicker than many gras types and holds up to my dogs doing brodies on it all day. I don't think fertlizer is necessary if you water regularly. I've never used fertilizer for the safety of the dogs.

Most people don't like crab grass, but quite honestly, it's very difficult to kill and you can't trample it to death.

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Beetle said:
I fenced off an area with kennel fencing to grow grass. If you want it to have a chance at all you have to keep the dogs off it while it until it matures. Fescue is thicker than many gras types and holds up to my dogs doing brodies on it all day. I don't think fertlizer is necessary if you water regularly. I've never used fertilizer for the safety of the dogs.

Most people don't like crab grass, but quite honestly, it's very difficult to kill and you can't trample it to death.
Crab grass... got it. Will go looking for some tomorrow. I think I can get SOME growth back. Especially since they spend the majority of their time indoors now. Last fall when they wore it away, they had been outdoors quite a bit.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I just finished spreading 25# of grass seed in my yard, and covered it with 5 bales of straw (spread out), this is the best way to grow grass that I have found.

We actually did put down "seed starter" fertilizer since we covered everything with straw and the dogs aren't out there rooting around.

I did this a couple years ago around a new outbuilding we have and that's the best grass I have. It looks kinda crappy with all the straw in the yard, but it will get chewed up by the lawn mower when it's time to cut the grass (if it grows!), and I don't mind the straw as much as the MUD!!!

Mary

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Maer said:
I just finished spreading 25# of grass seed in my yard, and covered it with 5 bales of straw (spread out), this is the best way to grow grass that I have found.

We actually did put down "seed starter" fertilizer since we covered everything with straw and the dogs aren't out there rooting around.

I did this a couple years ago around a new outbuilding we have and that's the best grass I have. It looks kinda crappy with all the straw in the yard, but it will get chewed up by the lawn mower when it's time to cut the grass (if it grows!), and I don't mind the straw as much as the MUD!!!

Mary
OMG -- you sound just like me! I have been asking around for straw for months just because I am tired of looking at mud!!! I am gonna try to go to a landscaping supply place and get some. I don't even know how much I will need. And won't the grass need sunshine to grow? Does anyone know how the straw comes supplied? Is it just in one big bail, and I can fit it in my car?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Luvabull,

Don't go to a landscaping place, they will charge you WAY too much money for straw. If you're anywhere near the "country" you should be able to find some farmer selling some. It shouldn't cost you more than $2 a bale (that's how it comes - in bales). I guess it depends how big the trunk of your car is, how many you can fit in there. I have a truck with a cap on it and I managed to shove 10 bales in there.

Believe it or not, the sunshine manages to get in there and make the grass grow. Like I said, the best grass I have on my property is grass I grew just like that. Keep your fingers crossed for me that it will grow good in my backyard. And good luck with yours. Mud sucks.

Mary

p.s. anyone know why my banner is not showing up?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Written on a card somewhere in our house I have a recipe for a pre-emergent mix that is non-toxic. The mix is comprised of: Beer, baby shampoo, instant iced tea mix and one or two more ingredients. I'll keep looking for it. Frankly, I'm not sure if it works, but it might be worth a try :lol:

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
I feel your pain on the grass situation. Our lawn was really nice about a year ago and now it's a disaster zone. If it's not burned from their urine it's completely ripped out from their digging. We're gonna re-sod this summer. I think I'm gonna try something really hardy like crab grass. I get organic fertilizer from the nursury for all my plants and it works pretty well. It's mostly ground up fish and other stinky stuff. It's completely safe for the dogs but they grow crazy for the smell.

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just wanted to update that I planted a TON of grass seed, and we have growth! Not sure how long it will last, LOL -- but it's coming back and looking good. (For now.)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts