Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
nelson used to always love sleeping in my bed with me at nights when my partner's away at work. when it was bed time, we'd walk into my room and while i was brush my teeth, he'd sit and wait patiently on the other side of the bed until i get in on my side and tap on the bed and say "up!" then he'd jump on and snuggle up to me.

lately he's been sleeping on the other side of the bed and near my feet. and also its been hard to get him to get on the bed. he used to jump right up after i tap the bed and say "up" but lately i'll tap the bed and say "up" and he'll look at me like he's stupid or deaf. i know he knows what this means he's done it so many time before. i know i shouldn't have said it so many times to get him up on the bed, but if i don't, then he sits there at the floor and looks at me and huffs like he's waiting for me to say up. and lastnight, after getting him up on the bed, he walked around the bed in the middle of the night and then ended up sleeping on the floor. i felt so rejected, nelson doesn't love his mummy anymore!! :cry: WHHAAAAA!!! :cry:

so anyways, i thought that maybe he thinks hes the alpha because he's chosing not to obey me when i say "up" to invite him onto the bed. -therefore challenging me or testing his order in the pack?
and sleeping on the floor - i thought might mean that he thinks he's the alpha because i read that the alpha always sleeps away from the pack and he thinks sleeping away from me means hes the alpha?

then again i might have got this all wrong, becuase i've only read one book called the dog's mind and i'm basing all my wild conclusions on information from that one book.

as important as it is, i really don't give a crud about this alpha stuff as much as i jsut want to snuggle nelly to sleep at night! :cry: i know its bad for me to think of nelson like a person, he's jsut got so much personality and he has moods and he huffs like people and sits and sleeps like people, its so hard to think of him as "just a dog" he's just so much more to me than that. i know its sad, but i really do feel rejected that he doesn't want to cuddle up to me or let alone sleep in my bed anymore. u guys prolly think i a weirdo and just want to say "get over it hes just a dog" but i guess i am a weirdo and i do feel a little sad about it. :oops:

tell me does he still love his mummy? is he a teen now? is it not cool to sleep with mummy anymore?

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
I'm not an expert on this by any means but I don't think he's trying to assert any dominence by sleeping on the floor. If anything it may be the opposite. Usually the dominent one will try to elevate themselves higher than the others so him being on the floor would put him lower than you. I used to always try to get my dogs to sleep in bed with me when my husband is gone and they refuse. They would do the same thing Nelson does...just stare at me like I'm insane and then go to sleep on the floor. I finally realized that I'm pretty lucky because they are just getting way to big to share the bed! I wouldn't worry about it too much. My cocker was extremely dominent and she would jump in bed with us. If you tried to move her, she'd snap at you! Talk about bad temperment!

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
It sounds to me like you're reading too much into his behavior. Do you give him "up" as a command or an invitation? If he sees it as an invitation, he's probably just communicating wtih you that he'd rather sleep by himself on the floor. In essense, he's declining your invitation because he just doesn't want to sleep on the bed. If you use "up" as a command, and he's not obeying you, you just need to keep working on his obedience. I don't think this has anything to do with dominance. Most dogs don't disobey because they are challenging your dominance; they disobey because they're not trained well or don't understand what you're trying to communicate with them, or they don't have an incentive to do something.

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
I am no expert either and far from it. But from what I hear, the siblings are the ones that sleep together in the dog world and i'm not talking in the wolf pack world, im talking in the canine dog world. As soon as the mother has her pups the pups immediatly play and sleep with there brothers and sisters. I also think it is the opposite, I think he is communicating to you that you are his pack leader and he doesn't feel comfortable sleeping in your bed. Don't feel bad. He still loves you. If you really want him to go on your bed, maybe just bring in a treat and tell him to go up and give him the treat there. Abby is quite the opposite, which is sort of bad lol, as soon as I go to bed she nuzzles her nose under the blanket and cuddles in a ball near my stomach, she keeps me warm though. Especially during the winter time.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the reassurance guys. yeah i think i really was reading into it too much because the next night and everynight since, he's slept in my bed with me and cuddled up. :oops: i guess he just really wanted to sleep on the floor that night. sorry i was looking forward to the cuddles that night and when nelson rejected me, i was a little upset. lol, its like a girlfriend saying "no theres nothing wrong" but you really know theres something wrong but dogs can't speak so u can't find out whats wrong. aanyways, wanted to report all is good and well in the bedroom with me and nelson (god it like hes my boyfriend or somthing, i'm so sad! lol :lol:

·
Registered
449 Posts
I wish I had your problem. I can't get my girl off the bed. When DH and I go to bed at night she climbs right between us, long ways. And she's damn near as long as the entire bed. After a while she will curl into a ball. Then start dreaming and what looks like running full speed in her sleep while woofing. It's funny at times. However, never fail every night she tries to kick either DH or myself off of the bed by forcing her back against us and pushing the other one with her legs. I often wonder if it's a sign of dominance. But I really don't know much about that.

·
Agent Squint
4,225 Posts
ZeldasMom said:
I wish I had your problem. I can't get my girl off the bed. When DH and I go to bed at night she climbs right between us, long ways. And she's darn near as long as the entire bed. After a while she will curl into a ball. Then start dreaming and what looks like running full speed in her sleep while woofing. It's funny at times. However, never fail every night she tries to kick either DH or myself off of the bed by forcing her back against us and pushing the other one with her legs. I often wonder if it's a sign of dominance. But I really don't know much about that.
I think dominance is a word used to describe a behaviour which we do not like.

As for the bed suti, I here you there...me and the b/f have scratch marks on our backs! and lol the other morning she was kissing him whilst he slept..hehehe i think he thought it was me, you should have seen his face when he woke to Roxy! and the other night my b/f lent over to kiss me, I closed my eyes and got this almighty lick across my face from Roxy! :oops: u gotta love em!

·
Registered
449 Posts
Oh my goodness! That is too funny! :D Our Zelda does the same things as you are describing. She loves to stay right between us. If she even hears the sound of a kiss, she wakes up and starts kissing both of us.

·
Agent Squint
4,225 Posts
ZeldasMom said:
Oh my goodness! That is too funny! :D Our Zelda does the same things as you are describing. She loves to stay right between us. If she even hears the sound of a kiss, she wakes up and starts kissing both of us.
Said thing is, at first I thought it was my b/f, he's got a beard and feels kinda furry lol :p and not wanting to sound to crude but during love making do u look up and see ur dog peeerin over ur other halfs shoulders....kinda kills the moment lol!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.