Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IS IT NORMAL FOR A PUPPY TO STILL HAVE BALD SPOTS AROUND HIS EARS? I HAVE BEEN NOTICING THAT ONE OF MY PUPPIES STILL HAS A FEW BALD SPOTS AND MY OTHER ONE DOESNT HAVE ANY.

SHOULD I BE CONCERNED? OR IS IT PERFECTLY NORMAL? WILL THE HAIR GROW IN OVER TIME? HES SIX MONTHS OLD AND HAD WORMS BUT THAT WAS ALL CLEARED UP IF THAT HELPS.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
he has had them since i bought him when he was 2 months old. i thought it was because his head was still going to grow and the hair would fill in. they arnt really bald bald, but hes lacking hair, in between and behind his ears you can see that there should be more hair there.

as for the vet, he said that hes a very healthy dog and he doesnt see any problems...so now i am confused on why i see pictures of puppies and they have full hair and mine doesnt.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
NO HE DOESNT ITCH THERE AND HE DOESNT HAVE EAR MITES. I HAVNT SEEN A PICTURE OF A BABY PITBULL THAT IS MISSING HAIR WHERE HE IS...IM JUST HOPING IT WILL GROW IN. ITS STARTING TO BUT MY YOUNGER FEMALE DOESNT HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM.

·
Agent Squint
3,627 Posts
NJPITLOVER said:
NO HE DOESNT ITCH THERE AND HE DOESNT HAVE EAR MITES. I HAVNT SEEN A PICTURE OF A BABY PITBULL THAT IS MISSING HAIR WHERE HE IS...IM JUST HOPING IT WILL GROW IN. ITS STARTING TO BUT MY YOUNGER FEMALE DOESNT HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM.
Light or dark colored fur? Thick or thin all around? It might just be naturally thin. We'd have to see photos, or a better description to tell if they're actually spots or just thinner fur where you can see the skin through it.

~S

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
he is black and his fur is really thin as it is.

he gets fed eukanuba puppy for large breed ill try to get pictures of the area and pot them.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
My pups are 5 weeks old today, and I noticed the same thing on ONLY the black ones.The hair is really thin around his ears. But after examining the red ones closer, theirs is as well. I also asked the vet, and nothing is wrong with the pups. It is due to the ears growing. AND like a bay, alot of the hair they are born with falls out, and new, stronger hair takes its place. This is what is happening. It is more noticable around the ears due to the way the ear is shaped where it joins the head, is is prominent there(The skin)and-the hair grows in a different direction there then the rest, therefore giving the illusion of possible baldness, but yes, it is thinner, and will grow in eventually.

Now if you see red spots or bumps, there is a problem, otherwise, just be patient.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sajoseph- thank you for breaking it down for me. i was getting a little nervous, although it was starting to come in, still had me thinking something could be wrong. no redness skin is perfect

and thank you to everyone else who answered to this post. hopefully my food doesnt have anything to do with it or is preventing it from growing in. i always thought eukanuba was good and ive always used it

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Check out the food scoring guide. I finally did and it has paid off. I now use Nutro

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Just watch what you feed cause I tried the Nutro which is what Buster started out on first and he had nothing but the runs from it. It was too rich for his little belly to handle.I have him on Iams puppy right now and I know that doesnt rate well in the food but when he gets bigger I will try to make the switch again.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
alot of people i know useD nutro and i herd more bad things about it than good. a dog trainer are me who just came up is telling all of his clients to switch to nutro and alot of them are and they than go right back to their regular dog food. dont know what the deal is with that food

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
NJPITLOVER said:
i looked at it but they dont have eukanuba on it.
This type of food is along the lines of Iams. Which means getting a rating of an F or a D. It has many fillers in it that do absolutely nothing for the dog.

I hear Diamond, Candine (spelling??), Innova, DVP Duck and Potato and some others are great. I feed Kate royal Canine boxer forumla which is recomended for pit bulls and AB's since they have the same sort of build.

right now food might have to do with your problem but in the long run the better grade of food you have the healthier your dog will be

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well with that being said, i only wish i found this forum BEFORE i went out and bought a 40 pound bag of eukanuba

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
NJPITLOVER said:
well with that being said, i only wish i found this forum BEFORE i went out and bought a 40 pound bag of eukanuba
haha fun stuff huh? Thats good though, because you wanna do a gradule switch...half and half for a while then slowly have more of the other stuff and less of the eukanuba and eventually just having all new stuff. It will keep them eating well still and won't upset their tummys. So just buying a new bag isnt all that bad!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts