Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been having a bit of a problem with feeding Nelson. He's 7mths, and he just doesn't eat all the dry dogfood that we give him.

When we bought the new dog food the guy said to give nelson 4 cups a day. so we give him a meal twice a day, two cups a meal. I told the guy who is a breeder about nelson not eating all his food and he suggested putting a little bit of natural yoghurt and stir it into the food.

So anyway this worked for the first few meals, he ate all his food and seems to love it.

this is the only thing that has worked so far with getting nelson to eat all his food. do u think i should continue? i'm just worried hes just not eating enuf. also have read good and bad reports aobut yoghurt for puppies.

we used to feed him and leave a bowl of dry dog food out during the day and found out (from here) that it created irregular eating habits so i've stopped that. for the past week and a half now i only put his bowl of food out for 30mins, twice a day. and if he doesn't eat it i just put it away and give it to him the next meal. but by doing that (before the yoghurt) he would only eat a cup of food or less.

i just want my little boy to eat all his food and grow up big and strong.

anything else you can suggest would be great, i'm just worried hes not eating enough.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Well I had (please note had) that same problem with Moose. He would eat a little and then leave. I would keep the food down for a long while and then like you read not to do this. I started to pick up his food after 15 min. and there was always a lot of food left. It bothered me a lot but I kept doing it and now 80 pounds later he eats ALL his food at both meals. He will sometimes leave some but I am not worried anymore. He is 9 1/2 months and still growing. Keep strong and he should come around. How much does he weigh anyways? At 7 months Moose was 65 pounds.
As for yogurt I have no idea.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks that is good to hear coz nelson is 35kg now so i think thats about 77 pounds so that should be right. but he does look tall and skinny tho.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
I do know that yogurt does help with digestion and it helps prevent certain yeast realted infections (usually ears). I would ask your vet about it, but I would say (and I am not a professional) that the yogurt will be fine. I know of a few people who feed it to their basset hounds at least once a day and not more then a tablespoon or so.

I also agree that you should take his food up after 15 min or so. Your pup will learn to eat it or be hungry. It sucks to think of them being hungry, but they need to learn to eat it when it is offered.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.