Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My french bulldog elvis will be turning 3 in July.
I have noticed some obedience issues and am begining to think that Elvis does these things because I maybe haven't made it clear who is in charge of the house. Even if he is walked morning and lunch, I will often come home to pee in the house. I tried to confining him to a small area but it does not seem to be helping. I am worried he will never be fully housebroken. He does his thing outside, but does not seem to have a problem going inside as well. I had read that they don't make a connection to what they have done wrong if you try to discipline them hours later than the incident occured. How can I discipline him? He seems to do well when in his crate, but I would like him to be able to stay out of his crate and not have accidents. I am worried he is turning 3 and this won't change. Help?

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
There's no way to discipline a dog after the fact when it comes to potty accidents. If you come home and he greets you at the door, and you start screaming at him, he's going to think he's in trouble for greeting you. If you rub his nose in his accident, he's going to be nothing but confused and scared. He is by no means relieving himself in the house because he thinks he's in charge. He's doing it because he can get away with it, because you're not there to catch him in the act. Essentially he's being rewarded for pottying in the house because it feels good to relieve himself and he's not getting in trouble for doing it. I know it's not what you want to hear, but recommend going back to the crate. Go back to the basics on housebreaking. Whenever you take him outside, watch him relieve himself and praise him to high Heaven when he does. Make relieving himself outside something he looks forward to so that he won't want to do it inside!

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
Take him a for a long walk and then leave him in the house alone. He'll be so tired, he won't even think about peeing on the floor. I also suggest you use the crate for now, then leave him home for short of periods of time. Even just try walking out the door and stand outside the door for 5 minutes while your talking on the phone or whatever and come back inside. If there's no pee, good! Give him cookies. Keep using that exercise and make the time longer each time, if he does pee, go 5 minutes back.

I would also like to ask you, what do you first do when you come home? Does he pee when you lean down to pet him or is it when you were gone? How do you act before you leave the house, do you make a big deal out of it or just leave?

Remember, it's never too late to train your dog out of a behavior problem. Dogs live in the moment, there not going to care that they've been peeing in the house for 3 years, it will be harder since you've been allowing this behavior for so long, but it can be un-trained.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Leeann.Bella.Remy said:
There's no way to discipline a dog after the fact when it comes to potty accidents. If you come home and he greets you at the door, and you start screaming at him, he's going to think he's in trouble for greeting you. If you rub his nose in his accident, he's going to be nothing but confused and scared. He is by no means relieving himself in the house because he thinks he's in charge. He's doing it because he can get away with it, because you're not there to catch him in the act. Essentially he's being rewarded for pottying in the house because it feels good to relieve himself and he's not getting in trouble for doing it. I know it's not what you want to hear, but recommend going back to the crate. Go back to the basics on housebreaking. Whenever you take him outside, watch him relieve himself and praise him to high Heaven when he does. Make relieving himself outside something he looks forward to so that he won't want to do it inside!
I agree

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.