Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
sir guinness said:
Any chance that one of you posters who are feeding the raw diet can post a detailed (or as best you can) description of what you feed your dog in a week? I'm not asking you to take 5 hours to detail every little thing, but if you could give me an idea as to quantities of food, types of food, how much, how many times a day, veggies used, etc. then that would be awesome!!! Again, whatever you have the time or the inclination to tell me I would appreciate! Thanks!
I don't have a food processor, so I usually buy some pre made. There is a place her that sells pre made raw, you can watch them making it. It comes in like big hamburger patties, that are a 1lbs each. You can get Turkey, Chicken, Beef, Lamb, Buffalo. THey have the bones grinded in those as well. The full meal comes with Veggies and Fruit in them, along with Organ meats like heart, liver, kidneys ect. Also Eggs with the shell, alfalfa, kelp and Absorbic Acid.

When I fed raw, I would feed one of those patties in the morning. At night I would feed basically anything that was on sale that week. Any peices of chicken, sometimes a couple backs, a quarter breast or thigh and leg. Digger my little dog would get a couple little chicken wings. Whole fish, pretty much anything.

I have never fed tripe, but I've heard good things about it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Vege mix I use

No onions or potatoes
Celery, pumpkin, pears, silver beat, banana, carrot, parsley, I put through a jucier/blender till a nice pulp mix then add Organic yoghut, 10 ml cod liver oil , 2-4 eggs including shells, 2 teaspoons crushed garlic & ginger, 4 tablespoons kelp powder, then I freeze into small portions.

AM - 2 lamb meaty bones/ handful of heart kidney & liver
PM - 1 - 2 whole chicken frames

AM - 500grams Beef mince with half a cup vege mix & half cup tripe
PM - 10 chicken wings

AM - Whole tin of mackerel/300 grams lamb mince
PM - 2 Beef meaty bones

AM - 1 - 2 chicken backs
PM - 1 large lamb flap

This is just a small example of how I feed but it does change depending on the dogs needs & availabily of meat etc

·
Registered
886 Posts
kogeki said:
Also what does IMO mean, and Stool?
IMO = In My Opinion

Stool = sh*t, crap, feces. I was trying to be "polite" I guess.

You said something that others do not agree with including myself. Expect them to give their opinions back. No need to get testy. No one said feeding a good kibble is bad and that you are a bad owner for doing so. We just said raw is better.

I have no problems with opinions, i just want to know a little more information on what the outcome of feeding a dog a raw diet over a kibble diet. Obviously if you feed a dog the real thing the diet is going to be better than kibble. For people who work 10 hours a day and dont have the resources to easily put a dog on a raw diet, i dont think producing smaller fecal matter :biggrin: would be sensible if the dog is happy and eating well on kibble(also producing hard fecal matter). However i would agree if you have the capability to feed a raw diet to a dog without adding more stress to yourself, its a good diet. (i realize i was wrong saying it was the same thing, i think i meant it would be somthing similar but not as good)

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
So someone said they buy the raw prepared from their trainer. I would love to feed raw, but am totally clueless and strapped for time. Is there some place you can buy the raw prepared and ready to feed?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
what is kibble?????????

hi i started this post is raw good?????????
what is kibble is it dried biscuits? complete food as bryn eats this he treats them as his nibbles lol :wink:

·
Registered
886 Posts
Re: what is kibble?????????

shirley42 said:
hi i started this post is raw good?????????
what is kibble is it dried biscuits? complete food as bryn eats this he treats them as his nibbles lol :wink:
Kibble is just your regular food you buy in a bag at the store.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I was looking on that site. There is so much to choose from. That is my problem. I worry I will get the wrong thing. Which would you suggest since you have used a raw diet before?

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
I always pick chicken or turkey to be the base of their diet. No particular reason, maybe just cause I like chicken best :lol: It is less fatty then beef, and doesn't smell as strong. But mix it up, keep it interesting for them.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I was trying to figure how much it would cost but I had a problem. How much should they get per day? It comes by the pound, so how much should you give if you feed them 2 times a day?

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
So if I didn't feed raw exclusively, would it be ok to give it to him every once in a while? Would I just give him a chicken neck or something? Can you actually get that at the grocery store? What would be good just as a special treat?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
bigut64 said:
i did some research, the raw diet just consists of all the ingredients in good dog foods, i dont see the point in going out and buying all the ingredients seperately. Buy good dog food and throw some raw veggies in the food or for a snack, same thing.
Even the best processed food has too many preservatives. That's why it has such a long shelf life.

If you're serious about the diet, then you should buy Dr. Ian Billinghurst's books about the BARF diet. I particularly like the one titled "The BARF Diet". It has sample meals in the back for one week. Here's a quote from a thread about a week ago:

Here's what my dogs get twice a day:

1/2 a full size carrot a day with baby spinich crushed in a food processor. Then I add either ground beef, ground chicken, ground pork, veal, or chopped up lamb and mix that in the food processor, with an egg yolk for each dog. Don't feed them the egg whites, just the yolks. Sometimes I add fish oil to this mixture, other times I just give them non-smoked sardines in soybean oil. At least three times a week I mix in offal (liver, hearts, gizzards, etc.). At least three times a week I'll mix in some fruit with this too, usually apples or melons. All of this mixed together produces a nice rounded mixture that I use as the basis for the diet.

In addition to the mixture, my dogs get the raw meaty bones, which are probably the most important part of the meal. I mainly use chicken wings, which are easily crushed by the dogs jaws. You can also use chicken or turkey necks, backs, or just about any other part of the bird. I've heard of some people occasionally offering an entire game bird, such as a small chicken, or a quail. I use mainly chicken wings because the ratio of flesh to bone, and cartilage to fat is ideal in the wings. You can also use lamb shanks, lamb ribs, and lamb necks, but I've not had luck with Odie eating them. A lot of dogs will not eat lamb, although I have no problems with Tala eating it. I also give them each a chicken wing in between meals, and sometimes another after their second meal (so that's four per dog). Ox tails and beef ribs are also okay. You need to change it up sometimes; they shouldn't get just one type of raw meaty bone.

With their morning meal, at least three times a week I give them a little cottage cheese or plain yoghurt. This provides beneficial bacteria (live cultures). Also at least three times a week, they get either non-smoked sardines in soy oil.

Supplements: Both dogs get a multi-vitamin (pet pals), vitamin E tabs, and fish oil when they don't eat sardines. Kelp is often added to the diet because it comprises just about every mineral necessary. I don't use it because it upset every one of my dogs stomachs.

Other notes: It's important to crush up their veggies and fruits into pulp, because this aspect of their diet is meant to duplicate the the stomach contents of herbivores that they would eat in the wild. They don't really digest large chunks of veggies, and will pass them whole a lot of the times. Use green leafy veggies and whatever fruit is in season. Avoid nuts, onions, potatoes, and legumes (peas and beans). Also, too much of the cabbage family can cause thyroid problems.

Some say you can feed whole eggs, shell and all. I've tried this, as has my boyfriend with his dog, and they don't digest the shells. I don't recommend feeding the entire egg.

Raw meaty bones should make up about 50%-65% of the diet....lots and lots of raw meaty bones.

One of the key things to do with this diet is make it varied. You usually cannot provide a completely balanced diet in every meal, so you mix it up and make sure that, every week for example, they've gotten a full, rounded, and completely balanced diet. This means you feed different things everyday. Some days it's eggs and meat, other days its veggies and offal, etc. But, they need the raw meaty bones EVERYDAY.

They need recreational bones as well, at least a couple times per week. They get a lot of meat and bone and some marrow from them, and it cleans their teeth. The teeth cleaning is very important because in general, the raw diet is softer than kibble and does nothing for the teeth without the recreational bones, like soup bones, knuckle bones, and the type they just knaw on for hours.

And be sure to use free range eggs. They're usually brown eggs, and it will say they're free range on the package. This is because your dog is getting whatever nutrients the chicken that produces the egg has eaten, which is far more varied and nutritious when they eat free range.

Again, anyone interested in this diet should read the book(s). There's sooooo much more information in them than you'll find online.

My favorite BARF link, [url]http://www.skansen.com/ [/url] (go to the nutrition section). Skansen Kennel has been breeding Schnauzers for over 50 years. She claims to have never once had a clinically dysplastic dog (her dogs, not the dogs she's sold or adopted out) on the diet. She attributes this to the vitamin C in the raw veggies and fruits. I don't know if that's 100% true or not, but she's had over 950 champion dogs, and she swears by the diet. I've seen her dogs in person; they're amazing! Simply amazing dogs, and they're lifespans are longer than the average.

Again, buy the books if you're serious about the diet. You'll find far more information in them than online, or just by asking around.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
So if I feed Deuce kibble in the morning, could I give him raw chicken wings bone in, etc. for his dinner every once in a while. Or would I have to add all the other stuff? I am just looking at something to do occassionally, not daily.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
deuce's mommy said:
So if I feed Deuce kibble in the morning, could I give him raw chicken wings bone in, etc. for his dinner every once in a while. Or would I have to add all the other stuff? I am just looking at something to do occassionally, not daily.
It won't hurt him doing it every once in a while, but nutrionally you won't get nothing out of it. If you are going to feed raw I would do it everyday, or aleast the majority of the days.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts