Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we went found Jazzy and her litter mates at the shelter they had them listed as pitbulls. We seen Jazzy's mom and she is a beautiful brindle staffordshire terrier. They told us the only info on the dad is what the previous owner had told them and they said we was a red nose pit. So my question is ( remember i'm new to the breed) is Jazzy a staffordshire/pit mix? Or would she just be concidered a pitbull as the shelter had her labeled?

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
"Pit bull" is a general term, though still correct... if you're sure about the breeds of the parents, and you wanted to be more specific, you would say she's a Staffordshire Bull Terrier/American Pit Bull Terrier cross.

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Sorry, I misread... I thought you said the mom was a Staffy Bull. If the mom was an American Staffordshire Terrier, and the dad was an American Pit Bull Terrier, they're pretty much the same breed, despite some size differences.

I don't know... I'll let someone else answer this. :D

·
Agent Squint
4,225 Posts
American staffy are pitbull with a classeir name, whereas staffordshire bull terrier is the english version. I'm sure thats right.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Without acquiring a dog from an honest, knowledgable, & reputable breeder who keeps accurate results of his dogs' pedigrees/lineage, then there is no way to know if the dog you have (especially since it came from the shelter...but kudos to you for adopting) a pure-bred animal much less one of a particular breed.

The term "pit bull" is a generic term that encompasses several different breeds & any dog that structurally resembles them. American Pit Bull Terriers, American Staffordshire Terriers, Staffordshire Bull Terriers, Bull Terriers, & American Bulldogs are all considered to be "pit bulls".

As far as the APBT, the Am. Staff., & the Saffy Bull all being the same breed, well that is completely false. The biggest misunderstanding comes from people believing that the APBT & the Am. Staff. are the same & given that each breed has been bred for completely different reasons for over 100yrs now, it is understood that they are 2 completely separate breeds. Now, thanks to bybs & puppy peddlers to breed the 2 together, we have several different "hybrids" out there. But the AmStaff is bred solely for looks while the APBT is bred (or should be bred) solely for working ability. Hence why you will see a difference in the dogs' structure. Check out www.apbtconformation.com & look to the right & click on "height-weight". They have some nice pics of the difference b/n the ADBA APBT & the UKC AmStaff/APBT hybrid.

This is a very touchy subject with some people who still want to ride the name of the APBT for all it's historical meaning yet there dogs are nothing of the sort. However, the truth is that the AmStaff is now a completely different breed of dog than the APBT & the Staffy Bull yet all 3 remain clumped under the term "pit bull".

Since most honest people don't dump dogs at the shelter, it's safe to say that you have no idea what's in your dog's lineage. It may be that your dog has other breeds mixed in. NO ONE can tell a dog's breed by looks alone. There's no blood test to do it either (for anyone who is still spouting off at the mouth on that myth). At the most, I would consider your dog a "pit bull".

I have APBTs. I also have 2 rescues that I call "pit bulls" myself b/c no matter how much they look like one of the "pit bull" breeds, there is just no telling.

Good luck with your pup. He's a cutie. :D

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
There's no blood test to do it either (for anyone who is still spouting off at the mouth on that myth).
:-s Mia, I certainly hope that your comment was not in reference to something I'd previously posted? I never implied there was such, just simply that there is new scientific studies and testing going on as of December of 2005, that are making progress with the capability of deciphering dog DNA. Nor would I hardly constitute a link as spouting off at the mouth, though would appreciate the clarification.

I concur though the pup is a cutie. ;)

·
Registered
94 Posts
looks similiar to Alexis. Alexis was a stray, we adopted her from a shelter when she was about 5 wks old. We think that Alexis is a APBT or a APBT mix b/c of the way she looks.....but yes, it will always be a mystery!! lol
No matter what, they are still treasures!! :D

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
JennKBM said:
There's no blood test to do it either (for anyone who is still spouting off at the mouth on that myth).
:-s Mia, I certainly hope that your comment was not in reference to something I'd previously posted? I never implied there was such, just simply that there is new scientific studies and testing going on as of December of 2005, that are making progress with the capability of deciphering dog DNA. Nor would I hardly constitute a link as spouting off at the mouth, though would appreciate the clarification.

I concur though the pup is a cutie. ;)
LOL. NO!

Yes, science has almost mapped out a handful of breeds DNA. However, it's not even close to being able to be used for the average Joe to determine what breed of dog they own.

I didn't mean any harm, Jenn. (I'd totally forgotten you had shown me that article) :p

·
Registered
49 Posts
Miakoda said:
American Pit Bull Terriers, American Staffordshire Terriers, Staffordshire Bull Terriers, Bull Terriers, & American Bulldogs are all considered to be "pit bulls".
To register a Pit bull in my county it costs $500 anually because they are considered a dangerous breed, do you think an American Bulldog would be lumped into that category for registration fees?

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
scotto said:
Miakoda said:
American Pit Bull Terriers, American Staffordshire Terriers, Staffordshire Bull Terriers, Bull Terriers, & American Bulldogs are all considered to be "pit bulls".
To register a Pit bull in my county it costs $500 anually because they are considered a dangerous breed, do you think an American Bulldog would be lumped into that category for registration fees?
That you would need to find out from the county government. Most consider any dog having the characteristics of a "pit bull" to be a "pit bull".

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thanks I was given bad info. County say pit bulls cost no more to register than any other dog. :)

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
She's a beautiful girl!

Maybe I didn't read it right, but where is the AmStaff coming from? I thought Jazzysmom had said the mother was a Staff? American Staffordshire terrier and Staffordshire Bull Terrier are totally different dogs. If she is Staff/APBT then she will probably be smaller than the average APBT, unless she takes after her father.

Either way she's such a cutie. And if you don't care it doesn't really matter what she is. I'd just say she's American pit Bull Terrier cross.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
When we picked up Jazzy, they told us her mother is Staffordshire terrier, they didn't say American staffordshire, or staffordshire Bull terrier. They did have mom and pups listed as Pit Bulls. Mamma dog was shorty and very stocky and according to the people that surrended her, the father of the pups was a red nose pit. Jazzy seems to be built just like her mom. She has short legs and very a very stocky chest.
Anyway, I knew she was a pit bull, just because thats what they had her listed as. But wasn't sure if mom being a staff and dad being a red nose if she would actually be considered a mix...or is a pit a pit! It don't really matter to me, I love my girl lots!!!!! But like I said, i'm new to the breed and was just curious. I know that alot of shelters around here classifie Pit type and Pit mixes as Pit Bulls. Don't matter if their mixed lab/pit or rott/ pit...ect. they still call them a Pit Bull. So I was just wondering if it was the same with Jazzy, thats all! Thanks for all you nice comments...she is a very beautiful girl :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts