Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my female staffy was on heat about 2 months ago and i was extra careful not to let any male dog;s near her at all and i was 100% sure that she had not been had by a male . But now 2 months later she is starting to really bulk up getting fat around the waist and her nipples are starting to get bigger is this a sure sign of pregnency ?? I NEED HELP . Can a female get pregnent anytime a male has sex with it or is it only a couple of week period when she is on heat ??
please help me :(

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Sounds like a false pregnancy. If she had gotten pregnant while in heat, she would have had puppies by now, I think. Do a search under "false pregnancy" -- I know we had several threads on that before. Good luck, I think she'll be okay!

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
False regnancy is possible but two major things to consider is.........There heat last for about 21 days and a male dogs sperm can last for up to a week. How long did you watch her?

·
Registered
172 Posts
It could be a false pg, if she wasn't near any male dogs, if your certain.

If you are not certain then she could be pg, most cycles are generally 21 days and within that 21 day period there is usually only a short window for her to be fertile. Gestation is usually 63 days (9 weeks) for dogs.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Well if it has only been 2 months then that is 8 weeks and pregnancy is 9 weeks. I would have her checked.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I sure hope if she isn't pg. you have her fixed while you're at the vet. :shock:

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Ultrasound will tell for sure.. I would get her spayed.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
If she is eight weeks pregnant, you will be able to feel the pups move. If she is pregnant, it will be too late to have a spay/abortion. Let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
You can still spay/abort right up until the time they're born.. it's just a tad more gruesome..
:shock:

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Well when you consider that for EVERY PUPPY BORN, another dies in a shelter, the tradeoff wouldn't be the worst thing that could happen...!! Um, not to mention the fact that it's another PIT MIX with a possibly (probably) unstable temperament and the chances of it getting into a GREAT or even GOOD home are slim to NONE.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
msvette2u said:
Well when you consider that for EVERY PUPPY BORN, another dies in a shelter, the tradeoff wouldn't be the worst thing that could happen...!! Um, not to mention the fact that it's another PIT MIX with a possibly (probably) unstable temperament and the chances of it getting into a GREAT or even GOOD home are slim to NONE.

how can you say that becouse it would be a pit mix it will have an unstable temperment, thats why there are bsl!!!!!! thats stupid. the fact is if it was a german shepard instead they would be more stable? how ignorent!

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Cookies Mom said:
msvette2u said:

how can you say that becouse it would be a pit mix it will have an unstable temperment, thats why there are bsl!!!!!! thats stupid. the fact is if it was a german shepard instead they would be more stable? how ignorent!
Ummm....she said possibly. And the fact is that mutts do NOT always get the best of both breeds. More often than not, they get the worst.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Miakoda said:
Cookies Mom said:
msvette2u said:

Ummm....she said possibly. And the fact is that mutts do NOT always get the best of both breeds. More often than not, they get the worst.
Exactly, Miakoda - and no, a "german shepard" wouldn't be "more stable" :roll: :roll: I'd say any dog (particularly mixed breeds) with unproven parentage has a very GOOD chance of being unstable!
And no, my opinion is NOT why BSL exists. Wake up and smell the coffee - it's BECAUSE of bullies being thrown together for LOOKS and SIZE with no thought at ALL to TEMPERAMENT, and BYBs breeding their pit bulls to the hilt to make a buck! :roll:

·
Registered
357 Posts
Why is that considered a credible argument for dogs and racist when used on people.
I have seen plenty of pure breed POS dogs please ... there is no no no no conclusive scientific data you can site that clearly proves that pedigree produces better quality dogs than mutts of a quality sire and bitch.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
msvette2u said:
[
Exactly, Miakoda - and no, a "german shepard" wouldn't be "more stable" :roll: :roll: I'd say any dog (particularly mixed breeds) with unproven parentage has a very GOOD chance of being unstable!
And no, my opinion is NOT why BSL exists. Wake up and smell the coffee - it's BECAUSE of bullies being thrown together for LOOKS and SIZE with no thought at ALL to TEMPERAMENT, and BYBs breeding their pit bulls to the hilt to make a buck! :roll:
But she isn't thowing dogs together for looks or size, unless I missed something, she doesn't even know for sure if dog is going to have pups. If It was my dog, which,I might add couldn't happen she's fixed, and she was 2 mo pregnant I couldn't kill the pups, I just couldn't do it , I would find, good homes for the pups. I also don't think that mixed breeds are any more unstable than full blooded dogs. I do volenteer at a shelter, a no kill shelter and the mutts, seem to be just as sweet as full blooded breeds.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts