Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read this online, but am not sure if it is true or not. I know that HD is common for ABs, but I mean about the OFA having lower standards for them. I tried to look on the OFA website but couldn't figure out how to tell.

"Hip Dysplasia is more common in the American Bulldog than in many other breeds. So common, in fact, that the Standard for American Bulldogs, as determined by the Orthopedic Foundation for Animals, is far lower than that for other breeds. In other words, what would be considered "poor" hips in one breed might be considered "fair" in the American Bulldog. "

Thanks.

·
Registered
790 Posts
that is not true. Penn hip is done this way.

All dogs of any breed is viewed equally.

Most people do OFA. Penn Hip is also very indicative.
I like OFA, since I don't have to take some yahoo's word for it. You just go to the website and check on the dog's name. Simple. YOu also get to see how his whole line of dogs are. Cousins, parents, etc.

You know, I have had dogs that have HD. It is heartbreaking. A great dog with bad hips dying to work. One of the saddest thing in the world.

I would also get the pup's hips prelimed when the dog is 6-8 months old to ensure your dog will not have problems later. It is not 100%, but it is very predictive.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts