Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coop is has been behaving very defiantly when he is in the house. If we are sitting on the sofa he will jump on us and wallow around and try to nip at us and pulls at our clothes. When we make him get off the sofa he gives us this "oh yeah, you gonna make me" look. When he is outside he will lay quietly on the deck or under a shrub but the minute we let him in it is like someone flipped his on switch. He is never still when he is in the house, he is constantly pacing through the living and dining rooms. He has plenty of toys and we are very careful not to wrestle or play tug with him

He is such a high energy dog and we try to keep him well exercised, I walk him a little over a half mile in the morning and 2 miles in the evenings but nothing wears him out.

Is this normal? Will he out grow it? any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
and it is fine to wrestle with them and play tug...in fact, it lets out a lot of their stress and is good for them...if done properly. Keep the wrestling fun and not aggressive at all, and when playing tug, make sure to win most of the time!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I think at 7 months you should be able to control your dog especially in the house. I have never had a dog past 3-4 months that is still nipping at humans. A 7 month old Bully Breed dog that still nips at humans hands and feet can be dangerous if not dealt with ASAP. Sounds like to me your dog needs more discipline. Just my opinion....

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
He is such a high energy dog and we try to keep him well exercised, I walk him a little over a half mile in the morning and 2 miles in the evenings but nothing wears him out.
NOTHING will wear Orson out, he's 15 months. After a looong walk he'll
rest for 10 minutes then bring you a toy to play!!

·
Registered
345 Posts
I am at my wits end with the nipping too!! I have tried everything, bitter apple, ignoring, etc..... When i turn my back and ignore her she just clamps onto the back of my shirts. I gets a bit annoying and pizzes me off at times!!!! Especially when she pinches my skin under my shorts. I don't want to do the alpha whatever thing as I have read more bad than good things about it. But I am really coming to dead end, Everything else is excellent. She is obedient during training, and when note in her excited frenzy mode. I walk her, rollerblade her, play tug, fetch and other games. I don't know what else to do and she is already 5 months so I need to resolve this issue.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
ChappsnHolly said:
and it is fine to wrestle with them and play tug...in fact, it lets out a lot of their stress and is good for them...if done properly. Keep the wrestling fun and not aggressive at all, and when playing tug, make sure to win most of the time!
While I agree a good game of tug is fine as long as your dog repects you I would draw the line at wrestling. Sure, there are some dogs who will tolerate this there are many dogs who would not! A truly dominant dog would bite your ass if you tried to pin them or try any other dominating moves with them and quite truthfully wouldn't blame themi. I think wrestling with dogs has the potential to be very dangerous. Even my bitch Smooch, who is not really too dominant , will not tolerate this happening to her at all! She WILL bite you if you try it to wrestle her. Just ask my husband. He learned the hard way..lol.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
My male cowboy if you try and wrestle him will go nuts and bite you and doesnt know when to stop, this is why it is not done in our home anymore my arms hurt, but he will play tug until the day ends. Dominant dogs dont like to be told what to do , but he does have his boundries

·
Registered
28 Posts
I don't understand why some peoples dogs would bite them, their OWNER if you wrestled them down to show them who's boss, I have never owned a dog in my life that would bite me for ANY reason and my old pitbull Monte (RIP) was as dominant as they come, extremely hard headed and stubborn. Dogs need to know who's boss in the household and they MUST show full respect to their owner no matter what the circumstance.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I do play wrestle.....but I always hold a toy, and make the toy do the wrestling (and make sure the dog is focussed on the toy). Then the pupp goes wild on the toy instead of my arm. I think it also enforces what is okay to bite, and what is not okay to bite. I also never play tug of war, not because I'm worried about dominance issues, but it really sucks if you have to play tug with a purse, or jacket that your dog thinks is a toy. I also think the best thing to do if your dog is trying to nip is to get them into a sit, and then give them a toy....and if your dog hasn't mastered sit yet, than just place the toy in their mouth instead, and then give lots of praise. :lol:

·
Super Moderator
15,973 Posts
sheila said:
I am at my wits end with the nipping too!! I have tried everything, bitter apple, ignoring, etc..... When i turn my back and ignore her she just clamps onto the back of my shirts. I gets a bit annoying and pizzes me off at times!!!! Especially when she pinches my skin under my shorts. I don't want to do the alpha whatever thing as I have read more bad than good things about it. But I am really coming to dead end, Everything else is excellent. She is obedient during training, and when note in her excited frenzy mode. I walk her, rollerblade her, play tug, fetch and other games. I don't know what else to do and she is already 5 months so I need to resolve this issue.[/quote

At five months she is still a pup and just wants to play. She does not realize that she is hurting you. When she pinches you, stop, yell ouch, look at her and say "WHAT ARE YOU DOING"!! This will take her by surprise and she will be upset that she hurt you. After a couple of times of this she will stop. BUT do not relent when she gives you those big eyes that say, "I didn't mean to do it mama". You are lost if you do.
:lol: :lol:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Forget dominance training.

A Pitbull is stronger more aggressive and more dominant than you will ever be so setting yourself up as Alpha in the house is not really the best solution. Good theory 20 years ago and still good with little dogs if thats what you like.

Your dog needs to respect you. Dont take that the wrong way, read on and I think youll find you are in a similar position to my wife currently. The dog has tested your will and found you inconsistant or loose in your control and now wants to push further, very normal.

Let me give you an example.

I say the word "heel" and my bitch comes to my heel and sits, directly and without thinking twice. Last night I was working with my wife teaching her to walk them to heel on leash. When we get to the park we let them run a while and then its back to heel leash and correct.

On the way back I decided to take the male Moto. I say "heel", he heels and I hook him up. My wife says "heel" to Kaya and she ignores her. Not just once but repeatedly, no matter what my wife says or how firm her tone, Kaya refuses to heel or even heed the command from my wife.
I give my wife Moto and move a few feet clear, issue the "heel" command and Kaya comes direct to heel and sits.

Why?

My wife was hugely frustrated as we have raised them together. Im unbending, she is not. My dogs know that while I dont beat them, I dont treat them badly, I also dont negotiate on commands or what I want. If i say it, it goes, if I have to walk over and push the ass to the floor for a sit, Ill do it. If I dont get the response I want, ill physcially assist the dog to do it, and THEN praise them.

I watched my wife heel walking infront of me to see where she had trouble.

She was negotiating with the dog.

HEEL is HEEL. I explained. Not two feet ahead, not one foot right or left, not one foot behind. Why she asked? Ok, because when you walk to heel the pup will test you, test your boundaries and your strength of will to enforce them. Moto walks first one foot ahead, Lu doesnt correct she accepts his general version of heel because hes not pulling, he then goes a foot right, and then two feet behind and before you know it hes deciding when he heels and when he doesnt.

There we have it in a nutshell. Not because shes a bad owner or mean, or soft, she just didnt set her self 100% commited to her path and make the dog bend to her will.

With me both dog will walk to heel. Why? BEcause both know that when with me, heel is heel and thats it, no matter what else they do or want to do I will bring them into check if they move a single foot out of my heel zone!

How do you enforce it round the house.

Really, easily is the answer just set the rules and enforce them.

What does your dog do as you prepare its food. Sits and waits. How often? 100% of the time and no negotiation. Is it mean? No, its correct polite behavior, PATIENCE!

What does you dog do when they see you and want attention? The answer should be sits down infront of you and waits for it? How often? 100% of the time. Is it mean, no its good manners not to push and demand!

Did you invite the dog into your lap? No? Why is he there?Send it down, make it wait at sit and then invite it back. Its rude to impose yourself uninvited!

Just ask yourself if what the dog is doing is rude when you consider it, and if the answer is yes, pull it down or off, make it sit and wait and then if you like tell it yes it can.

You are leader, not because you are alpha or stronger but simply because its your house, you are the boss and no matter how much testostrone is in playm that is NEVER going to change. Sooner your dog respects your position and realises that when its polite you are the most loving wonderful mom in the world, the sooner it will give up testing and start playing along.

Hope that helps.

My wife has the problem because she says "they are only babies", yup, true and they will run you ragged like any healthy bay if you let them. Theres nothing cruel in being consitant and defined in setting down rules, its healthy for you for them and for your life together.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Marxx said:
I don't understand why some peoples dogs would bite them, their OWNER if you wrestled them down to show them who's boss, I have never owned a dog in my life that would bite me for ANY reason and my old pitbull Monte (RIP) was as dominant as they come, extremely hard headed and stubborn. Dogs need to know who's boss in the household and they MUST show full respect to their owner no matter what the circumstance.
Just because a dog is hard headed and stubborn doesn't mean they will come up the leash or bite you for wrestling it to the ground. I own one of the most hard headed stubborn dogs there is. We have had many battles in training. He has probably taken more from me during training than 99% of dogs out there. He is extremely stubborn and very much a hard ass. He wants to do things HIS WAY Yet, he has never tagged me. I know a couple times he has thought about it and almost did, but he refrained.

There are dogs out there who will not tolerate being dominanted by anyone. Really, how is it being FAIR to your dog by wrestling it to the ground for NO REASON? I would never blame a dog for biting someone for doing that to them. It is well justifed and that is the difference. Some dogs will take it, but others will not and many people don't know how to read their dogs true character anyways. They don't have the experience, and haven't put their dogs thru enough in training to truly know what to expect out of their dogs in certain situations. The safest bet is to have some RESPECT for your dog and refrain from wrestling with them. To pin a dog to the ground for no reason other than entertainment for the person involved is stupid and totally unfair to the animal.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Lisa said:
There are dogs out there who will not tolerate being dominanted by anyone. Really, how is it being FAIR to your dog by wrestling it to the ground for NO REASON? I would never blame a dog for biting someone for doing that to them. It is well justifed and that is the difference. Some dogs will take it, but others will not and many people don't know how to read their dogs true character anyways. They don't have the experience, and haven't put their dogs thru enough in training to truly know what to expect out of their dogs in certain situations. The safest bet is to have some RESPECT for your dog and refrain from wrestling with them. To pin a dog to the ground for no reason other than entertainment for the person involved is stupid and totally unfair to the animal.
I never said to pin your dog down for NO REASON. If your dog gets out of line for example around kids he's being too hyper or if your dog does not like their nails cut and throws a fit,, thats when I would pin my dog down until he calms and then praise. If you have owned your dog since a pup like 8-16 wks their is NO reason why you shouldn't have full control over him under any circumstance, if you adopted an adult dog then the process can take very long to get him to submit but eventually they will. Pinning your dog down either on his side or back is not a lack of RESPECT, not disciplining your dog correctly and making excuses for your dog biting at people is showing your dog no RESPECT...

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
OK Marxx, I missed that aspect of your post. Sorry.

My intial reply was to that of ChappsnHolly, of which she mentioned it being ok to wrestle with a dog. That form of wrestling I viewed as a form of entertainment (because of the context of her post). You, obviously, are speaking of something else when you mention "wrestle your dog to the ground". I just don't think some people respect dogs enough, thats all. Its one thing to get physical with a dog who is defying you, and needs to be put in its place, and wrestling a dog to the ground just for the fun of it.

I hope that heelped clarify things. :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
I agree with you Lisa, these bully dog breeds should not be wrestled with or any aggressive game like tug of war etc. There really is no reason for it, i play with my dogs a variety of games and never felt the need to play rough with any dogs. I'd rather play fetch all day... :)

·
Registered
932 Posts
We play fetch with Patch in the park for AGES - right to the point where he can't even walk properly from exhaustion.

We come home...he has some water.... sits on his bed.... then within 5 mins he is up and ready to play again and he tries to jump up onto the lounge to say "hey i want to play" and he's just SO exhausted he wobbles and almost falls in the process!

No matter how tired they are, they're ALWAYS ready to play again!

i find walking doesn't tire patch out....... we have to play fetch and get him to run up and down 100 times to get him to start feeling tired!

i am a strong believer that you shouldn't play any aggressive games with bully breeds.

I am CONSTANTLY yelling at my husband who insists on playing tug with Patch... and even pretends to wrestle him.

i'm printing out this post and showing it to him.

part of Patch's behvioural problems i think is because there's no consistency in how i treat him, and how my husband treats him..........

why do boys have to be so rough!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
I don't wrestle with CC but we play tug of war for hours, and she loves to play tag. the kids taught her that one. They run and tag her and then run she chases them and tags them with her nose and takes off the other way. they also play hide and seek, I give the kids each a treat, I'll keep cc in the kitchen while they hide and I will tell her to find one of them by name and she goes and gets them, she only gets a treat when she finds the right one.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts